OT: What would be a good firewall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: What would be a good firewall

My current firewall is out of date so to speak and I am just wondering what would be the best firewall out there right now that would be good for a home based pc, that isnt to demanding of the resorces?

I do ok with tiny personal firewall. Hardware firewalls are all the rage these days I understand.

Comment

A hardware firewall is always superior to a software firewall, simply because it can prevent attacks before they ever even reach your computer.

As for a software firewall, I have no idea. ;x

Comment

Even if you have a hardware firewall, its still recommended to use a software firewall too. Personally I use Zone Alarm free edition, no problems here.

Comment

Originally posted by ziadoz
          Personally I use Zone Alarm free edition, no problems here.
          Same here. :up:

Comment

Sygate Personal Firewall Pro. A ****** to configure, but has a lot of features.

Comment

Go get yourself a real firewall. No more buggy software!

Comment

Thankfully I've got a firewall built into my router so I feel I'm safe now (I also have Windows Firewall on :weird: ). I used to use Zone Alarm free edition but I got so annoyed when it would crash and lose all my settings for games and my network so I didn't bother, you can however backup your settings on the pro version but I just don't bother with it anyomre

Comment

IMO I would personally recommend a hardware firewall for true protection.

1. Hardware Firewall = Netscreen, Cisco

I use a software firewall. I have tested almost all of them. I am a dedicated gamer and performance ( bandwidth and system resource hogs are a no no ) are very important to me. The best softwares I have found with the smallest impact on my system resources & best protection:

2. Kerio Personal Firewall

3. Kaspersky Antivirus

Zonealarm, Norton and all the rest are bloated pieces of junk ( yes I have used them for years as well ).

Comment

Originally posted by Sm@ck
                    IMO I would personally recommend a hardware firewall for true protection.

1. Hardware Firewall = Netscreen, Cisco

I use a software firewall. I have tested almost all of them. I am a dedicated gamer and performance ( bandwidth and system resource hogs are a no no ) are very important to me. The best softwares I have found with the smallest impact on my system resources & best protection:

3. Kaspersky Antivirus

Zonealarm, Norton and all the rest are bloated pieces of junk ( yes I have used them for years as well ).
                    Do you think Kerio PF would be easy to set up for a current ZAPro user?
                    I'm sick of ZA's bloatedness too, and I will never touch another Norton or Mcafee product in my life, probably.

I ask because I'm quite the noob when it comes to setting rules and such, so I like easy configuration menus.

Comment

You only really need a software fire wall if you like to install software that tends to come with spyware (like file sharing apps)

If you do reasonably well at keeping spyware and popups off your comp (and probably don't use IE) then software firewalls are pretty pointless

The one that tends to be the most compatible if you use one is ZA, though it is bloated...

That sais I use a DLink firewall/router, was 50canadian, and it has worked the bomb for me (and it's very easy to configure)

Comment

My firewall stops Spyware too! :up:

Comment

Originally posted by Sm@ck
                          ...I use a software firewall. I have tested almost all of them. I am a dedicated gamer and performance ( bandwidth and system resource hogs are a no no ) are very important to me. The best softwares I have found with the smallest impact on my system resources & best protection:

I've been using Zone Alarm (retail) for years now. A few weeks ago, when ZoneAlarm pushed a faulty update that crashed the firewalls on 50,000 subscribers, I thought I was hacked and decided to get a new software firewall. I looked at every major brand and actually bought Kerio as well as downloaded tiny pf. At the same time I was researching each firewall for problems with UT2004. I uninstalled Kerio due to possible problems with UT. Almost every brand of firewall had some kind of problem with gamers.

A day later (when Zone Alarm announced their faux-pas), I re-installed it. ZA is bloated and a resource hog but it doesn't affect my game. I have a multiple-os boot workstation (xp, 2k, linux), 2.4ghz, 2gigs rdram, gforce ti4200 w/starstorm drivers (yeah, it's an old rig but it does the job). I use Win2k as my gaming OS tweaked with Tweak Manager (executive paging disabled), services stripped to a bare minimum, swap file on an independent drive/controller, no AV, no nothing 'cept the firewall and FPS games riding on SDSL.

When all is said and done, the firewall choice for any gamer is the one that works best for each gamer - it's just a matter of preference.

Comment

Sygate Personal Firewall free edition (the extra features in Pro are pretty worthless)

Comment

I use a Hardware firewall, built into the Router. :up:

Comment

Working...
                              X