Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[UT2007] Changeable WEATHER and TIME OF DAY ingame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random effects are random:bulb:
    Anything random is bad for gameplay. So unless the changing weather is cosmetic only, it is a bad idea.

And you also need an option to disable it for people with lower end machines. I don't see any rain or snow in ut2004 and I wan't to be able to disable it in the next game too. The thing to realise is that some people like eye-candy, some others either don't like it or don't have machines capable of handling it. So this sort of thing must be possibly disabled and so, it cannot affect gameplay, even if it wasn't random.

Epic did mention the target painter would call map specific superweapons. Maybe on some map, it could be used to call a tornado on a node or something, and the weather would change to reflect this. That is not random, the sky-box change is cosmetic only and the tornado doesn't have to be a huge gpu/cpu strain on lower details. Things like this would be better than map-wide effects I think.

P.S: Did I mention random effects are evil?

Comment

make it have seasons to.

winter, summer.

why not.

Comment

Originally posted by suttonator

Miracle (min/max slider)
        :haha: :up:

but seriously being able to set weather would avoid the torlan -insert weather condition- remakes.

Comment

This would own so much...

/me wants. :heart:

Comment

Originally posted by =XM=
            Random effects are random
            Anything random is bad for gameplay. So unless the changing weather is cosmetic only, it is a bad idea.
            To debate your point, for DM, TDM, CTF that may be true, especially in competitions. But on pubs running ONS or CON, this could add in to the "immersion" factor. Not everyone who plays UT2KX is playing on competitive ladders or tournaments where they need to turn off such things as Foliage and World Detail. Many players love to see the maps as the authors intended. And, many players use those details for cover, etc. Most comp players would be satisfied with a series of black or white rooms, and red team sporting bright red skins and blue team sporting bright blue skins, everything else can be black, white or grey. In a true competition, this would suffice. Most comp players are oblivious to the textures on the wall or some pipe that blows out steam every 10 seconds. But to the average player, whether he or she is a pubber or single player, the immersion factor counts. And to an extent, eye candy is a big part of that.

Originally posted by =XM=
            And you also need an option to disable it for people with lower end machines. I don't see any rain or snow in ut2004 and I wan't to be able to disable it in the next game too. The thing to realise is that some people like eye-candy, some others either don't like it or don't have machines capable of handling it. So this sort of thing must be possibly disabled and so, it cannot affect gameplay, even if it wasn't random.
            Not necessarily true about performance. Look at CS:S and HL2. Both games exist on the same engine, both requiring fairly decent machines. Yet, CS:S online player count is much higher than UT2K4. Why? Because, while CS:S may have a bit a "noob-friendliness" about it, it also contains many immersion factors that make the game feel like less of a video game and more like something real.

It's a well-known fact that in the gaming world, the Unreal engines are known for their beautiful and awesome graphics capabilities. Yet, some of the UT series' biggest fanboys dumb down the graphics for gameplay's sake. I'm not dissin', I'm just pointing out how ironic that is.

What I'd like to see is that for the ONS and CON maps to have these atmospheric generators. They should be setup on cycles, which can be preset by the server admin. I do however, like the idea that during a lightning storm, a randomly generated lightning strike can occur. But again, these should only exist on the big, spread out and long match type maps like ONS and CON. It wouldn't make much sense to add them into DM or CTF maps.

Comment

I think this is a great idea:

Pros:
              1. Adds to the immersion factor if used with regional weather-data.
              2. Means there is no need for a hundred different user-modified versions of “Antalus_Snow” clogging up community download sites.
              3. This also means no forced downloading of such maps.
              4. Is cool as Hell.

Cons:
              1. The server should — at the discretion of the admin — force effects on all players.
              2. Otherwise, players should be able to disable the effects completely, online and off.
              3. It could also be integrated into the map-voting system.

Comment

Originally posted by Crotale
                To debate your point, for DM, TDM, CTF that may be true, especially in competitions. But on pubs running ONS or CON, this could add in to the "immersion" factor. Not everyone who plays UT2KX is playing on competitive ladders or tournaments where they need to turn off such things as Foliage and World Detail. Many players love to see the maps as the authors intended. And, many players use those details for cover, etc. Most comp players would be satisfied with a series of black or white rooms, and red team sporting bright red skins and blue team sporting bright blue skins, everything else can be black, white or grey. In a true competition, this would suffice. Most comp players are oblivious to the textures on the wall or some pipe that blows out steam every 10 seconds. But to the average player, whether he or she is a pubber or single player, the immersion factor counts. And to an extent, eye candy is a big part of that.

Not necessarily true about performance. Look at CS:S and HL2. Both games exist on the same engine, both requiring fairly decent machines. Yet, CS:S online player count is much higher than UT2K4. Why? Because, while CS:S may have a bit a "noob-friendliness" about it, it also contains many immersion factors that make the game feel like less of a video game and more like something real.

It's a well-known fact that in the gaming world, the Unreal engines are known for their beautiful and awesome graphics capabilities. Yet, some of the UT series' biggest fanboys dumb down the graphics for gameplay's sake. I'm not dissin', I'm just pointing out how ironic that is.

What I'd like to see is that for the ONS and CON maps to have these atmospheric generators. They should be setup on cycles, which can be preset by the server admin. I do however, like the idea that during a lightning storm, a randomly generated lightning strike can occur. But again, these should only exist on the big, spread out and long match type maps like ONS and CON. It wouldn't make much sense to add them into DM or CTF maps.
                I completely agree with all of the of the points mentioned

Common Epic! We need some more immersion! We need to be able to fight in a map where there is lightning and thunder in the background that you can ALMOST FEEL it (the feeling you get when you go out on a really stormy day).

Have a bit of spookyness to maps when you CHOOSE TO PLAY at night time, a little bit like Doom 3. You ppl even said that you like to have a VARIETY and UNIQUENESS to every map, like when you said in some maps it will be more about knocking things over players' heads rather than using actual weapons.
                So a spooky theme for every map (when you use night time) would be great. Imagine being able to hear footsteps from behind, and then you turn around but you see no one, moments later you get headshotted!

If you choose daytime it would be like everything is clearly visible without any place to hide (just a pure bloody fragfest), and if you choose night time it would be lots of places to hide, some street lights are there, some are on, some are off, some are flickering. And if you choose dawn it would be like a balance between day and night.

Is this going anywhere or am I just babbling?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Brownstone
                  I think this is a great idea:

Pros:
                  1. Adds to the immersion factor if used with regional weather-data.
                  2. Means there is no need for a hundred different user-modified versions of “Antalus_Snow” clogging up community download sites.
                  3. This also means no forced downloading of such maps.
                  4. Is cool as Hell.

Cons:
                  1. The server should — at the discretion of the admin — force effects on all players.
                  2. Otherwise, players should be able to disable the effects completely, online and off.
                  Well said. :up:

Personally I think it would be cool, but if they don't put this in, I wouldn't cry.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Brownstone
                    That just made me think: When selecting/voting for a map, and say you want a specific time or weather, there should be like a + sign beside each map (I dont know what you call it but I mean similar to the way you choose different node setups in ONS). And when you click on it, it would give you all the time/weather options underneath.

It would reduce the clutter because then we wont have 9 different map presets taking 9 slots.

Comment

Why do you guys care so much about this kinda ****? It's called unreal tournament for a reason, i care about gameplay, if i wanted realism i'd play one of the many other games, pretty soon they'll make it so you limp after you get shot and you bleed to death and all other real world factors take place and then the game will just suck

Comment

Hey Zap.
                        Originally posted by AgentZero
                        It would reduce the clutter because then we wont have 9 different map presets taking 9 slots.
                        What I mean is: Vote for map, then vote for weather.

Comment

Originally posted by 0verclocked
                          Why do you guys care so much about this kinda ****?
                          Maybe because it’s, oh I don’t know — fun? You know, like what games have?

As long as it’s as configurable as I have stated above then I have no objections to including weather. I paid £200 on this graphics-card for a reason, dammit.

Comment

Why do you guys care so much about this kinda ****?
                            IMMERSION, something UT needs.

Also, the eyecandy part of the game, you need both graphics and and gameplay for a great game. If all you want is gameplay, then go play UT99.

OR you could agree with this thread and when UT3 (yes thats what I'm calling it from now on) comes out you can CHOOSE the 'DAYTIME-NORMAL' setting.

Comment

Why do you guys care so much about this kinda ****? It's called unreal tournament for a reason...
                              CONGRATULATIONS!

You're the 1000th poster to use the "It's called UNREAL Tournament, therefore it should have crappy graphics!" argument.

Your prize is a gift certificate to enroll at your local junior college's "Introduction to Critical Thinking" course. :up:

Comment

Sounds cool. :up: Although I don't know how difficult that would be to implement or what problems it could cause in terms of the overall lighting of the map etc., I'd welcome such feature.

Originally posted by Logy
                                CONGRATULATIONS!

You're the 1000th poster to use the "It's called UNREAL Tournament, therefore it should have crappy graphics!" argument.

Your prize is a gift certificate to enroll at your local junior college's "Introduction to Critical Thinking" course. :up:
                                :haha::haha::up:

Comment

Working...
                                X