No announcement yet.

Ut2k7 Changes To Jumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumping around like they have it in ut2k4 is fun, but aside from the basic utility of getting the heck out of the way of things that pop out at you unexpectedly I don't mind if they tweak around on it a bit. Jumping to get from place to place is kind of a last resort anyway.

Comment

*FIXED*

About the whole scaling thing, here are some figures:
      A player is 90 and a little bit units high (94 I think).
      A double jump will take this player to about 224 (228 says LagMasterSam) units high.
      If you want some deco on your ceiling, add perhaps 64 units.

Total: 288 units height for a doorway that has to accomodate a 94 unit high player? That's 3 times the height. Imagine if every door in you house was 5 meters high... that's UT.

Of course scaling can't be like it is in real life, but this is a bit over the top, wouldn't you gys agree?

BTW, if you can double jump to the doorway from a higher position (not really uncommon), you'll need to add some more height to the doorway, skewing scale even more.

Comment

I'm a bit late but :

It seems like UT2k7 is going in the direction of UT, not Quake. A matter of taste.
        Originally posted by DimensionSeven
        More than a year till release, so please stop whining in advance. :up:
        Actually, it might be better to whine during dev, while physics can still be changed, rather than when the game has gone gold...

Comment

I'm happy if the new UT resembles the first UT more than the last UT or the UT before last. Does that make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Ryandar
            A double jump will take this player to about 288 units high.
            You are sure about that...?????

Comment

I bought UT2004 for ONS. 1v1 and TDM were too defensive and dependent on timing since UT2003 to make me buy. Essentially, it was(is?) more about dying less than fragging more. Add to that the weird scaling, and I can say I am very happy with the changes Epic are making to make take the game back to it's glory days but without the spammy weapons and inferior movement system of UT.

What concerns me is the fact they are testing with DM maps first for basic game elements, like movement. The movement amplitudes in UT2004 is just right for ONS and other vehicular based modes. I am starting to fear that lack of testing of infantry v/s vehicle movement may seriously affect vehicular gametypes. If the movement is reduced, will they lower vehicle speeds/turning and projectile speeds accordingly? That would feel weird, so I hope they keep that in mind. Maybe make all players equiped with booster packs in ONS, to justify larger movement amplitudes? Just a cosmetic effect to make the movement more credible.

Will on-foot movement allow me to keep up with a tank to heal it or circle around and flak it? Will I be able to avoid mantas like in UT2004 ONS? Will I be able to stay in the levi's blind spot while on foot to kill it? Will sideways dodge-jumping allow me to avoid hellbender sky-mines while nailing it with rockets? Will Frostbite played in UT2007 involve movement in the way it does now? Will nerfed movement mean spider-mines will be effective against infantry other than through surprise or cornering? etc...

The dilema is that the movement is wrong for certain gametypes yet very good for others. Trick-jumping and "trials" map fans show how the movement is one thing that has attracted people to the game and is now as important as having flak/shock/rox in a UT game.

P.S: About scaling; wtf??? You mean those kitchen and bedroom maps are at the wrong scale? Too big? Surely that can't be!

Comment

Originally posted by =XM=
                Maybe make all players equiped with booster packs in ONS, to justify larger movement amplitudes? Just a cosmetic effect to make the movement more credible.
                If anyone accuses them of ripping off Tribes they could say, why no it's an homage to Bob Heinlein of course. As long as it looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryandar
                  A double jump will take this player to about 288 units high.

Total: 352 units height for a doorway that has to accomodate a 94 unit high player? That's almost four times the height. Imagine if every door in you house was 6 meters high... that's UT.

Of course scaling can't be like it is in real life, but this is a bit over the top, wouldn't you gys agree?
                  The maximum height for a double jump is about 132 units. So if the player is 94 units high, the minimum clearance would be about 228 units high (about 2.4 times the player height.)

Side note: It is actually possible to reach platforms higher than 132 units above the surface the player is standing on because of a stair stepping effect that occurs when the player reaches the edge of the higher platform.

Comment

i dont care what they do with it, im buying it. now what store is gonna get my money?

Comment

Aaah ****, that was supposed to be 224 units high.
                      Way to make myself look like an idiot. I tested it once and remembered having made a hall with different height gradiations. Too bad I forgot where I bumped my head >_<. Must've gotten it wrong because of my latest map needing 352 high hallways (there's a reason).

I'll edit my previous post so as not to confuse anyone with my faulty figures.

Comment

dude, you coulda left it be and i would never notice...why dont they make characters a good number like 200 or 250 (for example)?

Comment

Originally posted by iNSPiRaTioN
                          Seriously doubt this.
                          Play me in Instagib.

Comment

Wierd, & I thought UT2kx had poor movment compared to speedy UT99
                            cause like dodges seem to go further, but hitboxes are much bigger & so easy to hit aswell as the game speed is 2x slower than UT!!

Epic tweak the game to be more floaty! plz like make it ship with no gravity or dodge booster pills by default, I want to be able to dodge from base to base. Like I want to be able to pick the flag & dodge then in less than two second I capture a flag with a single full map dodge:P~~

Or you could let us bind double taps:P so I can click one click & it dodges with adrenaline on~

LOL

Comment

make it so the fly command sticks after death too...thats sooooooooo fun! no more slashing rockets at my feet :P

Comment

It will be nice to see the game take a step back toward the original Unreal Tournament experience, with regard to the visual perspective and typical range of combat.

I'm sick of shooting at flying ants.

Anything that move the game toward the original experience is a good thing.

Hopefully, they'll wise up & adjust the translocator, too, so team games are more about combat tactics than trick teleporting.

Comment

Working...
                                X