Ut2k7 Changes To Jumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ut2k7 Changes To Jumps

Hi, im very concerned to what is going to happen to the movment in ut2k7, it looks as if the game is going to loose its freedom of movment. The developers at epic seem to think the game needs to feel as if it needs more gravity, this seriously worries me and other UT gamers that i know.

The reason that UT2K3-2K4 stood out in the crowd of games was not only because the games looked great, but the game gave back great skillz to the players that spent hours learning to jump, hammer jump, bezerk jump, wall slides. UT2k3-2k4 having that slightly floating feeling while dodging is what makes the game very special, otherwise why dont we all just play PlanetSide, Wolfenstein, SOF, or tribes if we want a heavy game. Have those games fell by the wayside or what ??

Im sure that many players felt annoyed when UT2k4 was released because the jumps were limited compared to UT2K3. But what will happen to UT2K7, will mean that the hours that we have all spent trying to jump like pro's seem like a wast of time.
    Please epic leave the jumping style as it is, sure change some of the weapons and how the game looks. But be VERY VERY careful to how the game feels.

Pls post here to what your opinions are on this subject, maybe epic shoud have done a pol to see how the UT community feels about the jumping style. Tbh it scares the hell out of me that a handful of people at epic are going to decide this.

Quote Taken from http://www.beyondunreal.com/content/articles/128_1.php

BeyondUnreal: What specific changes have been made to dodging and movement? Are wall kicks or dodge-jumps going to be removed?

Steve Polge: All the movement abilities from UT2004 are still there. So you've got double-jump, you still have dodge-jump: The biggest thing we've done is fine tuning and tweaking the existing movement to get it exactly how we want. We'll be in the hallway after a play session arguing about whether the jump higher should be 4 units heigher or whatever. But the biggest change is really that we've increased the feel of gravity. And that makes the world feel a little more solid and less floaty. What it ends up doing is, while you still have all those movements, they're not quite as dramatic. You're not feeling like you're floating through the air. What we're trying to do in our play sessions is perfect the combat. We also do a lot of play sessions of UT and UT2004 and kind of compare where we're going and if we're happy with the changes we're making. You still have all those things a good player can take advantage of. By reducing the amplitude of the dodgeing movements, the fighting is more controlled in a way that allows the it to be more "in your face," closer and more personal, and that's really one of the things we're going for.

Taken from http://www.beyondunreal.com/content/articles/128_1.php

m!ni

As far as I'm concerned, this is a good thing; I like the direction Epic's taking with UT2007's movement, and I like it alot.

If you've ever played the original UT, you should find it rather easy to see where I'm coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by vrxGz
      As far as I'm concerned, this is a good thing; I like the direction Epic's taking with UT2007's movement, and I like it alot.

If you've ever played the original UT, you should find it rather easy to see where I'm coming from.
      Yeah well it would just be like all the other fps games then (more or less).

Comment

Originally posted by clart
        this seriously worries me and other UT gamers that i know.
        You sure that they are UT gamers...???? ...please don't confuse them with UT2kX gamers.

Originally posted by clart
        Tbh it scares the hell out of me that a handful of people at epic are going to decide this.
        I believe it was thousands of UT players who decided this...

Comment

Originally posted by jaQal
          Yeah well it would just be like all the other fps games then (more or less).
          Hardly.

Comment

Im just worried that its gunna feel a lot more like the single palyer game UNREL 2.

BTW im not confused, and yes i played UT99. UT99 was a great game, but the skillz u can master in 2k3-2k4 gave those versions huge depth. It took me ages to master hammer/goo jumps, to get to the top pipes in deck17, or bezerk jumping to the top of the three spikes in antalus. Are we gunna be able to use such skillz ?

Comment

First things first - when pluralizing a word, you might want to look into using an "s." It makes your statements look much less juvenile.

That having been said, try reading what you quoted. It answers your question for you: "You still have all those things a good player can take advantage of."

Funny thing, though. Berzerk-jumping to the spikes or getting on top of the pipes in Deck17 is highly impractical. Sure, I suppose you could consider it a 'skill' - but what's a skill when it's of no use?

I guess what I'm trying to say is... just as long as there's depth and skill to practical movement, who cares whether or not the crazy useless jumps return?

Comment

Hardly.
                UT2kx > UT

┬┤nuff said

....well actually I am not in the same "panic" on this subject as I was before I saw the e3 UT2k7 vid. It looks like they made your character run much faster (also faster than origUT) so I am no longer worried that the game will loose its speed.

That being said I just dont see a valid reason for removing the dodgejumps etc. and Epics excuse is just plain BS imo

Comment

After all is said and done There will always be UT2004!
                  If no one likes the new UT when it's available dont play it. I'm gonna reserve my judgement untill I have tried the new UT. I just wanna try the conquests! Roll on 2007!!!! (Assuming of course my machine meets the playable requirements lol)

Comment

UT2kx > UT

┬┤nuff said

....well actually I am not in the same "panic" on this subject as I was before I saw the e3 UT2k7 vid. It looks like they made your character run much faster (also faster than origUT) so I am no longer worried that the game will loose its speed.

That being said I just dont see a valid reason for removing the dodgejumps etc. and Epics excuse is just plain BS imo
                    They're not removing the dodge-jumps, etc.

And what "excuse" are you talking about? :\
                    Originally posted by -=[kRy0]=-
                    I'm gonna reserve my judgement untill I have tried the new UT.
                    Totally agreed.

Comment

They're not removing the dodge-jumps, etc.

And what "excuse" are you talking about? :\
                      How do you know? dodge-jumps wasnt in original UT

I am talking about the "wanna get up close and personal with your enemy and not bouncing around in the air"

Comment

More than a year till release, so please stop whining in advance. :up:

Comment

How do you know?
                          Epic said so.

Originally posted by DimensionSeven
                          :up:

Comment

Originally posted by DimensionSeven

Actually if you care about how Epic develops the next game, then now IS the time to state your oppinions. How is Epic supposed to know what the community wants if nobody express their oppinion.

Comment

Epic said so.
                              hmm well guess I missed that

Edit: OMG doublepost

Comment

Working...
                              X