Overclocking Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overclocking Questions

Well for those who know me on the forums you know that i am buying parts to build my new rig. Well I was deciding on getting either a evga 6800 or ATI X800 XL and after doing a ton of research and reading a couple of reviews I have chosen the Ati. So I just bought it about maybe 5 minutes from me writing this post. Now this is the first coponent I have bought out of 13 other components. Now I need to know how to overclock and what is exactly over clocking other than increasing the core clock speed. Also if you could send a link to a popular overclocking site that has some sort of software to download or buy in which i can over clock my vid card and possibly my AMD64 3200 winchester. I appreciate anyhelp possible.

DL ATI tool for you card... as easy as it gets

http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

Comment

Yep, ATITool works very very well. It does the core overclock especially well when you set it to auto-detect if it's gone too far. On the other hand, it doesn't do the memory auto-detect overclock very well... I left it for 10 mins and came back to a screen of artifacts :/

Comment

Radlinker all the way, do the stuff yourself :P, ATi Tool can't test everything
        http://www28.brinkster.com/chrisww1942/download.htm

Comment

0verclocked is wise.

Comment

also what speed should i put it on but not make it unstable.

Comment

If all you play is UT, then overclocking your vid card is a complete waste of time. If you're going to overclock something, concentrate on your CPU.

Comment

Yes- UT2004 and all of your system will ususally benefit more from a good CPU and FSB overclock, since you will allready have a very fast video card as you listed. Video cards aren't as resillient to overlocking unless you get more after market cooling, and still sometimes a gain of 5+fps isnt worth premature video card death.
                I have overclocked CPUs and video cards and I haven't seen enough increase in frames on vid-card overclocking myself to justify the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by =Unreal=Coward
                  also what speed should i put it on but not make it unstable.
                  If you're asking this question you sure as hell shouldn't be overclocking anything...

# 1. Not all components with matchng model numbers overclock to the same speeds

# 2. With # 1.'s knowledge you overclock bit by bit and then stress test it with games, benchmarks, whatever you can, if found stable then push it a bit higher and repeat, as soon as you start getting problems then go back to your previous stable mark.

# 3. This goes for overclocking and will save you from just about every problem you come across in life " Don't Be Stupid "

Comment

Originally posted by 0verclocked
                    If you're asking this question you sure as hell shouldn't be overclocking anything...
                    Actually it's not that bad of a question. At the very least it gives him a point of reference.

Comment

so if i do overclock should i do it when more graphic intensive games come out and most of ou guys didnt read the whole portion of my first post on this forum. I was asking also if there were a way to overclock my cpu and what software can do that also what speed i should stop at increasing and i appreaciate your opinions both positive and negative so dont hold back any opinions.

Comment

nTune does on the fly processor overclocking, except it's for nForce mobos.

You can o/c your CPU in the bios, but if you don't know how to get into the bios and dig for it maybe you shouldn't overclock until you've read the mobo manual throughly.

I haven't overclocked, except for a Geforce 2 MX that I overclocked. 2 FPS gain in Unreal 2.

Comment

Originally posted by =Unreal=Coward
                          so if i do overclock should i do it when more graphic intensive games come out and most of ou guys didnt read the whole portion of my first post on this forum. I was asking also if there were a way to overclock my cpu and what software can do that also what speed i should stop at increasing and i appreaciate your opinions both positive and negative so dont hold back any opinions.
                          You don't have to overclock at all.

A 3200+ paired up with an X800 XL is a fairly potent combination that easily puts you well above the "average" gaming rig. You'll get great framerates in virtually every PC based game out today. So why risk killing your new hardware by overclocking?

Overclocking isn't what it used to be. These days both AMD and Intel are hard pressed to get their chips to run any faster than their current barriers. So where there used to be a lot of "headroom" in a given processor, it's just not there now. You may be able to get your 2000 Mhz 3200+ up to 3500+ speeds (2200 Mhz) without too much effort, but if you're expecting something special out of that 200 Mhz overclock then you would be disappointed. Will it be a little faster? Yes. Will you be able to notice it? Only on benchmarks. Will your system be as stable as it was before the overclock? Maybe, maybe not.

I have a similar system (3500+ with 6800 GT) and when I first bought it I fooled around with overclocking just to see what it would do. I got it up to around 2475 Mhz (from it's stock speed of 2200 Mhz) and got the corresponding increase in benchmarks but I had to slow down the memory and put up wih an increase in heat as well. So I put it back down to stock and am very happy with my performance.

Just food for thought. In the end you'll do what you want to do but just be prepared for the consequences. I've killed a P4 1.6 due to overclocking, but that's not the biggest hassle. What hurts is to corrupt your Windows installation (and that happens very easily on an overclocked machine) forcing you to reload from scratch. That's why I always have a good image backup before delving into overclocking. It may boot into Windows boys and girls, but what it does once it gets there is a **** shoot on a highly overclocked rig.

Comment

thank u guys i have decided not to overclock anymore. also read my announcement of my new well read it and see and post some ideas on that forum the one that says Attention Pro Gamers!

Comment

www.overclockers.com Read through the forums there thoroughly, they'll tell you everything you need to know.

Comment

Working...
                              X