No announcement yet.

The Great Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know, I'm just going to give up on this debate. Your right, its too subjective... there are no right/wrong answers. What i may consider cheap another person may not, and vice versa. But i was never complaining as you keep saying i was, because i was not talking about any case when it has happened to me (although in the time ive played ut it has), im just saying that there are things you can do within the 'rules' that can be considered underhand. It can never be decided what is 'underhand', but i dont think you can say that there is no such thing as 'underhand'. Even the developers realise things like this, so you cant just say 'if its in the game, its how the developers intended it to be used'. For example - epic realised that in ut99, people used the large spread of the flak cannon in a 'spammy' way excessively. There was no counter measure to this as flak was flying around everywhere... Epic realised this and narrowed the spread in ut2003/2004. This is explicitly stated somewhere, it used to be on the weapons list on the main unrealtournament2003.com page, but that site doesnt exist anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by cyghost
      some one calls me a cheat ingame and *immediately* I play worse

first cause I want to chat and tell the offender to grow up and get a clue and second because I don't play well when I am infuriated
      I have all voice turned off. The only time I use voice during a game is on ventrillo with my own clan either in pratice or in scrims. I rarely pay attention to the text chat during a game. So if someone is taunting me or even just trying to say hi I probably won't see it. But when I notice that there are a lot of people typing then I start to pay attention, and it's usually because someone has crossed the line and gotten abusive and now someone else is ****** off and more people join in - and I get a holy s**t kill because everyone is standing still in the game while typing. :haha:

Not really, but I have played games that have pretty much come to a standstill because of trash talking. Very annoying. Especially when I'm the only one in my clan on the server and everyone starts yelling at me to kick the offending player and I have to stop to explain that I'm not an admin. And for some reason it seems like I have to tell each person individually that I'm not an admin. Didn't they see it the first time, or even second time I typed it? :bulb:

Fortunately this doesn't happen often because most of the asshats have already been banned from our server. We have a pretty tight group of regulars from 4-5 other friendly iCTF clans, so if someone does start getting out of line most of the other players will step in and focus wrath on the offensive player. :up:

BTW, most people consider it a compliment to be called a cheater. Assuming you aren't actually cheating....

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero*nz
        You know, I'm just going to give up on this debate. Your right, its too subjective... there are no right/wrong answers.
        Truth. And I do understand how you feel. I came from another online FPS that gradually lost its player base partly because the elitist players got more and more militant about how the game should be played, what weapons should be used, how noobish it was to use the power-ups, etc. I used to really enjoy that game, and my experience with the elitists left a mark. So I'm a bit sensitive when I see someone expressing an opinion about what tactics are appropriate and what are not. It was nothing personal, just sort of a knee-jerk reaction.

You and I probably get equally annoyed by players who camp and snipe. I'm just not inclined to tell anyone that they shouldn't be doing it. I don't want to be one of the ones trying to suck the fun out of the game for anyone, even if I don't appreciate their style of play.

Comment

Whatever we're walking about, one thing is sure.

It needs more cowbell! :up:

Comment

Is that a bouncing condom-person in your avatar? :bulb:

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho Dad
              Is that a bouncing condom-person in your avatar? :bulb:

:bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

Comment

Originally posted by Da Spadger
                :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:
                Was that a yes?

Comment

Was that a yes?
                  More like "What the **** did he just say?"

Comment

Ahhh, I see.

Your not going to tell me what it is, are you? :sour:

Comment

Ahhh, I see.

Your not going to tell me what it is, are you? :sour:
                      Haven't you played Worms?

Comment

Originally posted by Da Spadger
                        Haven't you played Worms?
                        Look, I don't wanna know if he plays with his worm, and furthermore your dancing rubber is quite nasty.

Preverts...

Comment

No, I was saying that the firing rate for the sniper rifle was too slow and should be closer to that of the minigun.
                          lol, although funny as a light hearted trolling of the subject (and I did giggle), it's already been done long ago. It's called "Zark Assault Rifle," and it has leagues and ladders and stuff. Sniper Rifle Gone Wild, order now. :bulb:

Comment

Truth. And I do understand how you feel. I came from another online FPS that gradually lost its player base partly because the elitist players got more and more militant about how the game should be played, what weapons should be used, how noobish it was to use the power-ups, etc. I used to really enjoy that game, and my experience with the elitists left a mark. So I'm a bit sensitive when I see someone expressing an opinion about what tactics are appropriate and what are not. It was nothing personal, just sort of a knee-jerk reaction.

You and I probably get equally annoyed by players who camp and snipe. I'm just not inclined to tell anyone that they shouldn't be doing it. I don't want to be one of the ones trying to suck the fun out of the game for anyone, even if I don't appreciate their style of play.
                            well yea, i dont agree with people who go out of their way to point out that 'doing this' is lame even though it doesnt effect them much, but falls outside of what they consider the way to play. When someone is ruining the fun of the match for everyone else, and constantly doing things that disrupt the flow the game, i have been known to say something >_<

Comment

Originally posted by nightstormer
                              lol, although funny as a light hearted trolling of the subject (and I did giggle), it's already been done long ago. It's called "Zark Assault Rifle," and it has leagues and ladders and stuff. Sniper Rifle Gone Wild, order now. :bulb:
                              ROFL! I tried to think of the most absurd situation that I could. I find it incredibily funny that someone has actually made a mod for this. I've explored about 1% of the mods. I don't really need them, I kinda like the game types that actually came with the game.

I actually find it somewhat surreal that this type of gameplay has leagues and ladders. :bulb:

But hey, to each his own. :up:

Comment

The debate rages on.

Check about midthread... this one's about ONS. It's no surprise to me that people are finding "issues" in ONS since it's not fully refined yet.

Re: Zark rifle. Heh. I fooled around with that back in UT99... hilarious weapon that was. Haven't come accross that in 2kX yet, although 2kX did bring us the instagib minigun.

Comment

Working...
                                X