More computer problems (update: Fixed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More computer problems (update: Fixed)

once again, since this is my tech support forum, my computer is being screwy. I just formatted my computer finally, and almost everything is running great, but my moniter is a little wierd. When i move things on the desktop the leave trails, and when i scroll down it's jerky instead of smooth. I haven't even tried UT2004 yet (on account of it not being installed yet) but i imagine it will be fairly bad there too. Any help would be much appreciated, since i like to be able to see.

In a related note, when i download the patches, do i need to download all of them, or just the most recent one?

O, you'd probably like to know this:

Intel Pentium 4 2.6 GHz
    80 gig
    512 RAM
    Radean 9200

Make sure you got the latest videocard drivers installed and i'd also check your refresh rate

EDIT: nm i doubt refresh rate is the problem, that wouldn't be noticable and i doubt you got it below 60hz

But yeah, upgrade to the newest video card drivers from most likely either

http://www.ati.com
    or
    http://www.nvidia.com

Comment

Re: More computer problems for firebert

Originally posted by Firebert
      When i move things on the desktop the leave trails, and when i scroll down it's jerky instead of smooth.
      [noob advice]
      Mouse settings? (Altho' i have a little confidence this is what's causing the 'jerky' mousewheel scrolling.)
      [noob advice]

In a related note, when i download the patches, do i need to download all of them, or just the most recent one?
      Just reinstalled myself actually. I think it's:

1. Fresh install
      2. 3355 (or 3339)
      3. ECE 1.1

Other stuff can get installed anytime.

Comment

You only need the latest patch that you want (I suggest 3339, 3355 has some buggies)

To turn off mouse trails:

Start
        Settings
        Control Panel
        Mouse
        Pointer options

Turn off Display Pointer trails

To turn on smooth scrolling:

Right click on the IE icon, then properties, click advance the use smooth scrolling.

Comment

thanks all, especially overclocked

The ati drivers did wonders, it's better than it's ever been

Ickle: i tried that first, it didn't help, but thanks

Flak: my mouse was unefected by all this, and i tried smooth scrolling but it was still a bit jerky.
          with the patches: thanks, that's what i though, but i wanted to be sure while i was making a thread anyway

I dunno where my computer would be without you guys

i also wish i could have described it better, but overclocked got it anyway, so that's fine, it looked kinda like a powerpoint presentation, it wasn't just jerky, it changed slowly from top to bottem (or bottem to top, i'm not sure)

Comment

thanks all, especially overclocked

The ati drivers did wonders, it's better than it's ever been

Ickle: i tried that first, it didn't help, but thanks

Flak: my mouse was unefected by all this, and i tried smooth scrolling but it was still a bit jerky.
            with the patches: thanks, that's what i though, but i wanted to be sure while i was making a thread anyway

I dunno where my computer would be without you guys

i also wish i could have described it better, but overclocked got it anyway, so that's fine, it looked kinda like a powerpoint presentation, it wasn't just jerky, it changed slowly from top to bottem (or bottem to top, i'm not sure)
            Not a prob, glad it was a quick fix

I can easily tell a lot of problems from a slight description, I've seen or had many of them myself, such as with you, I'm more than positive that if you opened a folder in a window and tried to move it across the screen it would just jump and redraw rather than a smooth transition like it was moving, It's due to the fact the videocard isn't doing jack without it's proper drivers, so your system was being bogged down, anywho, glad you got it working

Comment

Working...
            X