• Time
  • Show
Clear All

amd 64 3000+ overclocked to FX-55 levels

Read and have a feel good time

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews...lld19JRD0xMjU1

liek, wow!

Comment

haha, 94 MHz more than my peak on stock air..

Until I go phase..

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by element*381
        [B]haha, 94 MHz more than my peak on stock air..

so you have the venice core

Comment

No, but I have a really good Winchester.

Comment

Originally posted by element*381
            No, but I have a really good Winchester.
            oooooooooooo

nice

Comment

So I havent had the pleasure of working with the Athlon 64 processors

Do you basically run the CPU and RAM out of sync? And then set the HTT (?) to a higher setting in order to run it at a higher clock speed since the multiplier is locked? Is that like the FSB sort of?

Comment

Wow. :up:

I just bought a Venice core 3000+ because the price/performance ratio was unbeatable at the stock speed.

I wasn't planning on even trying to overclock, but now I am sorely tempted.

Comment

Originally posted by 0verclocked
                  So I havent had the pleasure of working with the Athlon 64 processors

Do you basically run the CPU and RAM out of sync? And then set the HTT (?) to a higher setting in order to run it at a higher clock speed since the multiplier is locked? Is that like the FSB sort of?
                  It's best to sync the HTT/memory to a 1:1 ratio but I've noticed 9:10 and 5:6 provide no appreciable performance loss. The HTT generally equals the RAM speed unless there is a divider in place, since the memory controller is on-die. A64 has no FSB per se, because it's integrated into the chip, but the HTT indicates how frequently the CPU communicates with other devices. Therefore, the highest HTT possible is usually sought with a slight compromise in the multiplier (lowering it if necessary) in the ultimate goal of negotiating multiplier and HTT for a reasonable CPU speed with the greatest HTT achievable.

Whereas multipliers supply the biggest performance boost in some Athlon XP's, HTT provides the biggest boost for Athlon 64's.

If you bought any Venice chip without intending to overclock it you wasted your money. :alien: :up:

Comment

So if you set the HTT on it to 300mhz with the RAM and CPU set to a 1:1 ratio would that make your RAM run at 600MHZ?

Comment

DDR600, yes.

Provided your RAM can overclock that far.. few economy DDR400 sticks hit DDR500 for a reasonable price. Only ones may be the TwinMOS SP.

Comment

Alright, so how much of a performance hit are we talking if we take them out of sync in-order to push the CPU further? I already have a GB of Dual Channel DDR400 RAM that has been sitting at 250 (500mhz) with my Athlon XP 2500+, if i just swap to a new motherboard an that processor should i leave it in sync and run the HTT at 250? Or would i get a better performance boost to take them out of sync and run the CPU higher? I dont believe my RAM is going to pass the 250 ( 500mhz ) mark

Comment

CPU higher.

Sync just synchronizes a CPU cycle with a RAM cycle and makes you look like a better overclocker when you say you have 1:1, but the highest HTT is always desired.

Comment

Well my current mobo wont even make it past POST if i take the cpu and ram out of sync, so thats why i was wondering.

Anywho, I might be upgrading to a new mobo / processor then

Comment

Working...
                            X