Need Advice on new mouse and keyboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Advice on new mouse and keyboard

Just wondering what u folks would suggest for a new mouse and keyboard, i've got some extra cash to splurge so I was thinking off buying a new gaming mouse and keyboard. Emphasis on gaming, as i'm pretty sick of my m$ optical mouse and keyboard.

I've narrowed the choices for mice to either the razor diamondback or the logitech mx518 and for a gaming keyboard, the Saitek Eclipse looks pretty sweet:

Good large soft (Quiet) keys plus excellent tactile feedback, heres a couple of reviews:

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-S...4-1880-28-29-x

http://www.hwhell.com/articles/saitek_eclipse_keyboard/

http://www.barrys-rigs-n-reviews.com...clipsekb_1.htm

its not like previous saitek keyboards that didnt live up to gamers expectations.

As for the razor or mx518, its either the ergonomics which let the razor down abit, the side buttons are more difficult to click. As for the logitech mx518 it's meant only for right-handed mousing, unlike the ambidextrously designed Diamondback. The intellimouse optical im using now is ambidextrous as well, however i've never used a mouse in my left hand ever (I'm a lefty incase u havent figured it out) so this shouldnt pose a problem i think.

Both seem on par with accuracy and precision, so its a tough choice. Both use a 16 bit data path and the standard 125Hz transmission rate, both mice can transmit a change in position of 32,000 pixels at each polling interval, solving the problem of negative acceleration without increasing the polling rate. As hacking the USB port to increase polling rate up to 500Hz or higher can reduce negative acceleration with some success but can cause incompatibility issues with other USB devices, stability issues with system crashes and blue screens not to mention taxing the CPU an extra 5 to 10 percent.

I guess one other factor could be, the razor is solely designed for pc gaming (Primarily online fps shooters) and unlike the mx518 isnt really suitable for office applications, photo retouching, using the web and other desktop activities.

Any suggestions are welcome

I have that Saitek keyboard, and I really really like it. It's probably one of the best keyboard i've ever owned.

The keys are very responsive and it's great for gaming. The backlit keys is also a very nice feature, AND you can turn the backlight off with one button, whenever you don't want the blue glow.

As for mice, up until yesterday i would have recommended an MX518, but yesterday I broke my 4th logitech mouse, and realized that I am sick and tired of the microsensors going bad in the main buttons due to extended use. For a "gaming grade" mouse, it's not holding up for ****. I'm tired of RMAing mice and getting replacements. I'll never buy another logitech mouse again. I have my razer diamondback on order, so i'll try them and see how they hold up.

Also, if you can wait, you can get a razer diamondback plasma that should have a similar glow to the saitek keyboard if you want to be a fancy boy and match. I would, but that's just me. :weird:

Comment

thanks for the reply cursive, yup i've heard excellent reviews for that saitek keyboard, surprised not many ppl know about it.

Well i denfinitely want a durable mouse, the m$ mice seem to be extremely durable, so I dont want the hassle of chasing up companies and waiting for replacement parts, mouse etc.

Another interesting fact is, if u wanna hack the usb port to increase the polling rate, the razor is the most responsive to this in accuracy compared to mx518.

Btw the Razer Diamondback Plasma looks **** hot, wouldnt mind matching that with the saitek keyboard:

Comment

Micro innovations.
        • Optical Wireless Mouse
          model: PD745P
          Radio Frequency Wireless Technology provides a greater range of motion for your desktop without the hassles associated with corded mice. Precision scrolling allows you to scroll up or down, left or right with pinpoint accuracy & control. Optical Sensing Technology scans the desktop at up to 3000 frames per second, providing the most accurate input device soultion available in the Industry today

The quote is for the most part B.S., but for 19.99 @ Staples, the mouse has worked problem free through 7 months of UT2004 gameplay and countless hours of level editing in UnrealEd.

With batteries, the mouse is a good deal heavier than a corded mouse (I'm used to it) and go through batteries pretty quickly, (well, if you use the mouse as often as I do). Make sure you hold in your hand any mouse you plan on purchasing. This mouse didn't take me long to adjust to and I'm now comfortable with it. Since UT doesn't support more than two auxillary mouse buttons, the mouse is suited for the job. However, if you must have the best and most expansive, then the choices are more obvious.

Comment

As a competitive player, I would urge you, if you plan to play in a competitive environment (and do well), do not use cordless devices.

The current technology is simply far too limited.

Comment

Originally posted by Cursive
            I have that Saitek keyboard, and I really really like it. It's probably one of the best keyboard i've ever owned.

The keys are very responsive and it's great for gaming. The backlit keys is also a very nice feature, AND you can turn the backlight off with one button, whenever you don't want the blue glow.

As for mice, up until yesterday i would have recommended an MX518, but yesterday I broke my 4th logitech mouse, and realized that I am sick and tired of the microsensors going bad in the main buttons due to extended use. For a "gaming grade" mouse, it's not holding up for ****. I'm tired of RMAing mice and getting replacements. I'll never buy another logitech mouse again. I have my razer diamondback on order, so i'll try them and see how they hold up.

Also, if you can wait, you can get a razer diamondback plasma that should have a similar glow to the saitek keyboard if you want to be a fancy boy and match. I would, but that's just me. :weird:
            Very good advice. And just to let you know, I have had a DB since their release, and have used it heavily every day for over six months now, with no signs of wear and never a glitch. You will get used to the feel very quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Cursive
              As a competitive player, I would urge you, if you plan to play in a competitive environment (and do well), do not use cordless devices.

The current technology is simply far too limited.

I seem to do fine with it; I haven't really noticed a difference between this mouse, and the corded one I had before, but then again I don't play competitively (so I'm not interested in the engineering behind and fine distinction between cordless vs corded mice; but I'm sure many are, and that's ok) If you're **** about possible hardware shortcomings and are indeed competiting, then I suppose the best equipment is a must (whatever that is?), so the point is mute. At least you won't be so inclined to blame the mouse or keyboard for losing the match, as many people here appear prone to do. (lastest & greatest = still blame hardware ).

Comment

I suggest finding somewhere to try both mice (DB, MX510/8) before buying, the biggest thing will be how they feel to you personally

Comment

I still use my spacebar for "Jump", and I don't like spacebar action on some of those Saitek keyboards; it can be very sluggish if you hit on the corner rather than the center of the spacebar. I've found other models to be fine. Same with Logitech. Definitely try it out and make sure it fits your needs.

Comment

Therougepk is right. The mouse that works best for you may not work best for somone else. I have a logitech mx700, and have nad no problems or annoyances with it, but Cursive has lost 4 logitech mice.

Comment

Working...
                    X