Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

The great big Linux client thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The great big Linux client thread

The idea I have behind creating this thread is to try and gather a list of known, reproducable bugs in the Linux client of UT2003 retail to submit to bugzilla. Please, don't post wish lists for features or problems related to hardware (like why doesn't the Linux version run on my Voodoo/Radeon/TNT card) that are already answered in the README or other threads. Also, there are obvious issues that affect both Windows and Linux users that aren't really "bugs" specific to the Linux client, like the orange printed manuals, no CD-Key printed on the book, and the CD's themselves being silk-screened incorrectly as Discs 1, 2 & 3, as opposed to Play Disc, Disc 1 & Disc 2.

To present, I've collected only three real reproducable "problems" with the Linux version:

1.) Install accesses floppy drive (/dev/fd0) before every disk write or won't mount CD-ROM at all. [Only occurs for some users. While not limited to, this appears to be most rampant under Mandrake & Red Hat distos, no?]

2.) Creating profiles in single-player ladder matches results in crash, backtrace reports SEGV from /lib/i686/libpthread.so.0 [Only occurs for some users.]

3.) Error on file moves when downloading maps, mutators and such from a server. [Occurs for all users(?) Resolved by sym-linking the Cache, Maps and Textures directories to your home directory.]

Any Linux users discovered others I've missed? Thanks!

*bump*

Comment

Well #1 has workarounds (disable Supermount, reboot, run the installer in the background from a terminal and manually umount and mount /mnt/cdrom when it asks for discs), and they do implictly tell you you need to mount the discs.

#2 is already in Bugzilla, I know as I have the same problem, and has been closed. A solution (https://bugzilla.icculus.org/show_bug.cgi?id=155 ) was found by installing a certain set of packages but that's not much use as they didn't mention which ones UT2003 depended on. Of note, this isn't just limited to mdk. I don't know how bugzilla works so someone ought to re-raise that one for sure.

TBH I haven't been able to play enough yet to experience any other bugs :bulb:

-- edit

Thinking about it, it would be nice to have a dedicated linux ut2003 forum/site, as there are quite a few linux related threads here but they get overlooked/drowned out by the windows related issues. Anyone know of any?

Comment

Well I can comment on the third problem. I have reported it to the bugzilla (https://bugzilla.icculus.org/show_bug.cgi?id=168). It looks like they have it fixed:

I fixed a bug in the file moving code yesterday (I was tracking down the
        incorrect error messages about profile saving in single player), and I suspect
        this will be fixed by it, too. Will check.

--ryan.

Looks like it took care of both #2 and #3 bugs in one shot. Now all they have to do is release the patch and we're good!

Comment

yep

---snip---
          $ ut2003
          Assertion failed: InPos<=Size [File:../../Core/Inc/FFileManagerLinux.h] [Line: 69]

History:

Exiting due to error
          ---snap---

posted here:

http://www.ina-community.com/forums/...hreadid=218342

greetz
          -=G=-

Comment

I wish they would identify the package or packages that resolve bug #2. I'm not about to reformat and reinstall everything else I have no other alternatives. So far though, I printed the list of packages and I've installed about 1/3 of them and still get a seg fault. I guess before I get too far into it I should ask an important question. Does anyone know if I have to reinstall Ut 2k3 after installing all the packages or will it automatically see the files it's looking for after they're installed?

Comment

Hunter/A3,

The libpthread.so issue relates to glibc, and should be corrected by grabbing an update from rpmfind.net. I'll link the other threads to this one once I track them down.

Comment

I just browsed thru some other threads about lockup problems. They all stated that they had XP (with or without SP1), but I have also these problems with Linux.
                I have tried two times (just installed). The first attempt froze (with sound loop) before I could play at all. It just froze when game-start countdown finished, and completely destroyed my root-partition.
                The second time allowed me to play about a minute before it froze. I managed to fix the file-system errors during boot this time.
                As stated, my problems are very much like the known lock-up problems with Win XP / DirectX, but I use openGl in linux.

My system:
                Athlon T-bird 1,4GHz
                1024Mb RAM
                GeForce 4 MX440 (I know, Ti are better)
                Mandrake 9.0
                Newest Nvidia drivers

Comment

I pretty sure that Mandrake 9.0 already uses glibc-2.2.5-16mdk.i586 which symlinks libpthread.so.0 to libpthread.0-9.so

Is there a newer version than that for Mandrake?

Comment

*bump*

Comment

Originally posted by Linz
                      It just froze when game-start countdown finished, and completely destroyed my root-partition.
                      How can a game destroy your root partition??? You're not playing as 'root' are you? That would be very, very stupid.

Comment

I havent purchased the final version yet, mainly for this reason. I am running redhat 7.3 with a dual-head Nvidia Geforce 4 MX. Whenever I attempt to fullscreen the UT2003 demo, it has half the screen stretched out on the right monitor, so in other words the image I would expect on the left monitor is on the right, and my normal desktop is on the left, and with less than half the screen, it makes it unplayable in full-screen mode. Has anyone else either found a way to un-shrink the image, so I could get a normal full-screen on one monitor, or, ideally, found a way to play it across both?

Comment

Originally posted by MeltDown
                          How can a game destroy your root partition??? You're not playing as 'root' are you? That would be very, very stupid.
                          I bet that he is playing as root. On another topic, I have a graphics perfromance issue, and sort of sound. My frame rates are TERRIBLE, always around 15, and my sound skips, only playign every few seconds. All my hardware info is in my sig, as well as my distro. I should be able to run with all settings turned on at their highest with no problems, but even when all settings are turned off and are at their lowest settings, my game lags. Oh and this happens for both on and offline play.

Comment

Originally posted by DecayingOmega
                            I bet that he is playing as root. On another topic, I have a graphics perfromance issue, and sort of sound. My frame rates are TERRIBLE, always around 15, and my sound skips, only playign every few seconds. All my hardware info is in my sig, as well as my distro. I should be able to run with all settings turned on at their highest with no problems, but even when all settings are turned off and are at their lowest settings, my game lags. Oh and this happens for both on and offline play.
                            You probably want to install NVidia's detonator drivers. I've got a Duron 800 MHz and a GeForce 2, and from what I read my system is running better than yours. My bet is that you can get it smooth by tweaking & updating.

Comment

Issue #1 can simply be resolved if you enter this command before you run the installer.

export SETUP_CDROM=/mnt/cdrom/ (or whatever your CD is mounted to)

Comment

Working...
                              X