Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Check your CPU+MB+RAM!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Thu Apr 08 23:48:24 2004]
    FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
    Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
    FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
    Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

i tried it twice and both times it stopped immediately. i have a gig of pc3200 and i know it has some errors in it, but what is the ideal efficiency of ram (other then 100% lol, what should be ok for ram). i used sisoftwares program and got a ~90% eff. ut2k4 and ut both crash on my.

Comment

I finally tried out the prime95 blended test today and got exactly that in no time at all. Course this was after i had tweaked , prodded,probbed everything in sight for the last two weeks. Mine would just crash when ever it felt like it, while playing , other wise it worked fine .

Well i fooled with some of the memory settings and got it to pass the prime95 test for about an hour , ten mins into UT it crashed.
      Still keeping the memory problem in mind , I looked at corsairs site (my memory is corsair) for some clues. And after rereading my mobos manual again . i tried raisng the memory voltages , no fix. Then it finally dawned on me I`m using Pc3200 ram and it says its running at 400mhz but the board only officially supports 333mhz tops. went into bios and dropped the memory speed down to 333mhz and it runs Ut like a charm now woot :up:

amd fx 51
      asus sk8n ,1007 bios ,original mobo Nforce drivers
      1 GB Corsair dual channel registered
      ATI 9800Xt ,4.4 cats
      audigy 2 zs plat
      winxp

Comment

how can i find out what speed my ram is running at? my mobo supports up to 400 i believe (asus a7n8x-x) and i have pc3200, but for some reason i think its running slower.

Comment

Originally posted by Envy-
          how can i find out what speed my ram is running at? my mobo supports up to 400 i believe (asus a7n8x-x) and i have pc3200, but for some reason i think its running slower.
          Go into your BIOS and see what your bus speed is set to. It should be set to whatever the rated bus speed for your processor is, so double check that. If you find that your processor's rated bus speed is lower than 200 MHz, you won't get the rated speed from your memory unless you overclock your CPU by cranking up the FSB of your motherboard.

Comment

what's this?

UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2004-03-03_02.42]

CPU: GenuineIntel Unknown processor @ 2408 MHz with 511MB RAM
            Video: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X (5656)

General protection fault!

History: UObject::UnhashObject <- UObject::~UObject <- DeleteObject <- (54765) <- DeleteGarbage <- (sg_Mech_ruggedframe2) <- UObject::PurgeGarbage <- UObject::CollectGarbage <- Cleanup <- UGameEngine::LoadMap <- LocalMapURL <- UGameEngine::Browse <- ClientTravel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Convoy <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop?????????????????????????????????PLEASE HELP

Comment

Originally posted by Mahnkiman
              Go into your BIOS and see what your bus speed is set to. It should be set to whatever the rated bus speed for your processor is, so double check that. If you find that your processor's rated bus speed is lower than 200 MHz, you won't get the rated speed from your memory unless you overclock your CPU by cranking up the FSB of your motherboard.
              This information is incorrect for the A7N8X. You can clock your RAM's FSB independently of the CPU, however for the nForce2 chipset, the performance is best when the FSB is the same for both. So, if you are running a CPU with a 333 FSB, and you have DDR400 RAM, you will actually get better performance running your RAM at 333. In the Bios you need to go to Advcanced Chipset Features, and make sure CPURAM is set to 1:1. One advantage of running DDR400 at 333 is you can O/C the memory timings very easily. For example, at 400, my timings are 8,3,3,3 but at 333 i can run them at 6,3,3,2 nop problem. (except in UT)

Comment

Originally posted by Resurrecter
                Amazing. A ton of people, myself included having tons of problems...terrible frame rates, install problems, general protection faults etc. etc. etc. and the mods choose to sticky a thread blaming your system. In all this not once have I seen Epic nor Atari publicly anounce a patch to fix and address these issues.
                From the threads I have read, and the people I have helped with issues, it usually boils down to a machine issue. This thread suggests a good starting point. Atari/Epic can't fix someones hardware/stability issue. As far as patches, I would expect that bugs found in the game would be patched in a 'reasonable' time. The install issues, yep that's a bummer. I seem to remember they pointed people to the company that 'provided' the copy protection, sorry don't remember the company:bulb:

Also peeps, turning off preload skins helps load times.
                Defragging helps a heep for some as well.
                Settings wise turning off Decals seemed to have an impact in Assault-Glacier.

Comment

I have ran the tests and....

My system is fine, I let Memtest86 run 10 passes on my system with no errors.

I let Prime95 run for 14 hours with no problems. My P4 2Ghz CPU runs at a consistent 35 deg C.

but the game still GPF's, as stated elsewhere on these forum's memory is not the only issue with this game. There are other issues.

Comment

Have you seen this link how to optimize for UT2k4?
                    http://www.tweakguides.com/UT2004_1.html

Comment

Had problems with Asus A7N8X-X

Hello People,

I had serious Problems with my A7N8X-X from Asus. Due to things on this Forum i've solved my problems but here for people with the same problems.

5 Days ago ive bought this mainbord and it hangs itself or resets. This problem was partly solved by setting my memory clock the same as my CPU clock in my case i have a AMD3000+ so i set my memory to 333Mhz. And manually set my cas latency to 3 (my memory default). (8-3-3-3)

But running UT2004 IT WOULD STILL HANG :S. Ive found out about the proggy PRIME95. And there came out: ERROR. (sometimes within seconds)

So I removed my gigabyte of Infinion Memory bought Kingston Chippies. And now my memory test came out possitive. Whee

Thanks Kingston

UT RULES

Comment

This is a good thread but sometimes there is no perfect solution.
                        I was going to run the prime95 program but figured I would start with MemTest86 first. Every time I get to test 8 with memtest I get loads of failed addresses. After a bunch of research, I found that Athlons are known to show problems sometimes in tests 5 and 8 and this is due to running the RAM at higher than normal speeds. Dont ask me how since the RAM is DDR333 and is running on a 333 setting. Now if I change it to 266 I dont get the errors, but my POS FIC motherboard wont let me run the RAM at 266 without running the FSB at 266 as well. This totally blows as I have no desire to see my 2800+ turned into a 2200+.

Grr @ FIC motherboards

guess I might try the thing about RAS CAS and such being set one notch higher than normal.

Comment

Memtest didn't work good for me. Sometimes it just doesn't show the bad memory module. I finally found out I have a bad RAM stick with Prime95. Very awesome Program. You can see my huge massive post and experience here

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...hreadid=371326

I took a stick of ram out, rebooted and ran prime. It passed memtest but failed prime within 50 seconds. I swapped sticks and passed memtest and passed prime for over 7 hours!! I ran unreal and did not get 1 crash yet! I have sent back my bad ram stick to newegg.

Conslusion, Prime95 is the best for checking.

Comment

my experience

so.. i have played ut
                            i got erors
                            1) my sistem used to take a few brakes now and then for like 30-60 seconds
                            2) i even got the blue screen in win xp!
                            so i tried to see what the problem is, i reduced the quality, i played more stiles, i tried everythhing, including changing my directx to 9.0 and my nvidia detonator. nothing works because the guys from atary did a bad job and there are some erors inside the game. the blue screen i got because of overloading the video board with some grafic errors or something. the freeze time is also because of some erors, but those could be corrected without crashing my sistem.

that is expected out of a game that size to have a few bugs but i am positive that it is not a hardware problem. at this sistem i do not have hardware problems, and i never run out of ram unless it is an error. What i don`t understand is why those guys are not fixing it.

Comment

Damn after a month of gaming i never had a problem with UT2004. But since last week the problems started, i didn't change anything on my pc, didn't install new programs what so ever. But since a week i can play for about 15 to 20 minutes and then , kaboom

General Protection Fault :cry: :bulb:

and my system boots, i've tried new drivers old drivers even a new installation of windows XP but still no result.

last but not least i tried something i've read somewhere else on this forum. My soundblaster.
                              I have a Audigy Live and never had any troubles with any game but people where saying that it good B the problem, so to test this i pulled out my audigy put on my onboard soundcard (wich sounds pretty nice, never knew this ) And YESSSSSSS i can play again . i've played for about 4 hours straight with no problems at all. I also had the game running all day long for about 6 hours after that. Notthing !!!, so i hope there will b a fix soon for the audigy card, this can be from Atari or creative i don't care but i want to use my Audigy.

P4t533
                              Pentium 2,53 Ghz
                              512 Rimm 4200 Samsung memory
                              Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
                              2 x 120 maxtor in a raid
                              1 x 80 maxtor
                              Audigy Live

Comment

I did a "Install in Place" of my 98se and didnt lose any settings or preferences this is the easiest way.My Ut wouldnt even copy the files to install untl i did this.I did notice changing from 3 D sound to 3d+ Eax i got this high pitch screatch that hurt my ears if volume is up but it seems to still work.Doesnt seem right to get that awful sound and i have the Audgy gamer sound card hmm.
                                But only when i first turn on this option and you dont hear it in game.

Comment

Working...
                                X