Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Check your CPU+MB+RAM!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check your CPU+MB+RAM!

Hi,

I had this strange crashes in all modes of the game, yet with a very stable system outside UT2004. I could finally narrow down the problem to the memory module that I had recently installed.
    How to check only CPU+MB+RAM?
    Simple! Just download the prime95 client from http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm and run it. When you run it for the first time, select the "Just stress testing" and then in the menu, in options select the torture test and select the "Blend" test and run it for at least one hour.
    If you have any problem with your RAM timinig, CPU or MB over heating or anything else, this test will give you an Error! This can happen even if all normal programs seem to run perfectly. In my case, I could run almost anything with no problem and thought that the crashes in UT2004 was either a driver probelm or a bug in the program. But my computer didn't pass the prime95 test and finally I found out one of my RAM modules was not that good. Replaced it with a good RAM (Kingston HyperX) and all problems magically were solved!

Simple! Just download and run the prim95 client from http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm and run it
    Very good advice, as this rules things out and will point you towards a more stable system. I've built many new systems over the years and this is the FIRST thing I do even before installing an OS.

Comment

You can also run Memtest86 to narrow down memory issues.

Comment

My CPU+MB+RAM has all tested OK but UT2004 still crashes randomly. It could be that Atari needs to release a patch to correct this issue.

haydes

AMD Athlon 1600
        Soyo Dragon Lite MB
        1 gig pc 333 DDR Memory
        GeForce 4 Ti 4200 128 MB DDR
        80 GB Western Digital ATA 133
        Gentoo Linux running Kernel 2.6.4

Comment

You can also run Memtest86 to narrow down memory issues.
          Memtest86 is indeed a very valid and usefull test; however, prime95 is a different test. There are two issues at hand: first, testing if every single bit of RAM is correct and the scecond one is to STRESS the RAM, memory bus, cooling system to see if they would FAIL under a very intensive load.
          It is possible to have a system that passes the memtest but fails in prime95. If your system does not pass memtest, your RAM module is bad: it has some hardware problem that CAN NOT be fixed. However, your system may pass memtest but fail under high CPU/Memory access loads because it gets heated, noise level on the memory bus is too high, DRAM timing is too aggressive... These type of problems (that memtest does not check) are not strictly the same physical problems and sometimes you can fix them by using a better cooling soloution, better DRAM timing settings....
          Most RAM modules are already tested and chances that your system successfully passes the memtest is very high (and if it fails it is a real bad news: your RAM module is useless no matter what you try with it) but not all stable, functioning systems can pass a 24 hours prime95 test. Your system maybe good for normal usage (browsing, word processing....) and you never have a problem but under very intensive and demanding loads, like number-crunching programs and SOME types of games, it may fail.
          In my case, the system would run any program with no problem: photoshop, word, many different games, web browsing, ... but it failed in UT2004. It passed memtest86 but failed in prime95. The conclusion was while there is no broken parts in the system, yet it is not suitable for high load in extended periods of time and to solve it, I had to use a different RAM module. The old RAM is now used in a different system with a slower CPU and is doing just fine.

Comment

got a question , may b a stupid one , dunno.

but can this program hurt ur pc in any sorta way?? i mean coz i have a AMD athlon, so can it overheat it or burn it or wateva? coz dunno if my pc shuts down or the program shuts down when u reach a critical temp.

hope ya understand my question and hopefully the answer also

just wanna make sure that all.

Comment

Potentially, it can, but you should have sufficient cooling to being with. Just shut it off if it's getting too hot for your own comfort.

Comment

Just watch the temps everybody uses Motherboard Monitor 5 to check temps while under load.I have a little Temp. progarm that came with my Motherboard,i use both.And dont run above like 55c under load most people keep it under that.I was afraid at first to run those programs like Sisoft Sandra burn in and Prime but you need to know if you have a weak componant.

Comment

I used memtest and prime95 and my system passed with flying colors, however my system sometimes would crash UT2K4 within 5 minutes. Decided to totally wimp out my memory timings (8,3,3,3) on my a7n8x-deluxe motherboard, and i played for several hours without a hitch. I was running my DDR400 memory at 333 with my timings at 6,3,3,2 with a complete stable system and ran memtest for a full hour with no errors, but still UT would crash.

Comment

How long should you let Prime95 run for?

its been an hour, still doing tests... will it run infinately until stopped?

Currently on:

Test 2: 460000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M245759 using 12K FFT length.

Comment

How long should you let Prime95 run for?
                      The recommendation is 6~24 hours for absolute stability test but for your purposes (running games) 1~2 hours should be enough. You can stop it after that and be sure at least your CPU cooling, DRAM settings, MotherBoard are stable and if you have a problem with your game, you should either check the drivers or other software settings.

Comment

lol maybe i should go ahead and upgrade from my P4 1.6Ghz, and PC133 RAM, eh?

although my radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb is helping.

Comment

ran it for 12 hours and no errors and no warnings. CPU is cool and computer is stable as a horsey. :up:

Comment

Originally posted by haydes
                            My CPU+MB+RAM has all tested OK but UT2004 still crashes randomly. It could be that Atari needs to release a patch to correct this issue.

. . .

Gentoo Linux running Kernel 2.6.4
                            The crashes are being addressed. You can already get experimental binaries that are much more stable. See this thread for details.

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...hreadid=357447

Comment

Amazing. A ton of people, myself included having tons of problems...terrible frame rates, install problems, general protection faults etc. etc. etc. and the mods choose to sticky a thread blaming your system. In all this not once have I seen Epic nor Atari publicly anounce a patch to fix and address these issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X