Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trouble with the graphics of unreal T 2004 (looks very bad!!!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble with the graphics of unreal T 2004 (looks very bad!!!!)

And so after years of playing UTIII, I decided to I'd rewind and pick up UT 2004 since the reviews for UT III were mostly "More of 2004 with enhancements".
    I picked it up on STEAM and the game looks incredibly poor.
    I know it's not my machine, but somewhere in the set up.

UT III plays fine fully maxed on my i7, Windows 7, 64 bit, Nvidia beast-mode machine. Lolz.
    BUT UT2004 looks like early quake and I only have two choices for rendering engine.
    Software and Direct3D. Both look terrible.
    I have everything else maxed, but still it looks super primitive and pixelated.
    I know something is up, under the hood.

Any ideas?

Screenshot?

Comment

Okay.

What do you think?

Comment

To be honest, I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.
        Those are the normal visuals of UT2004.

Don't forget, this game is already a full 10 years old and using Unreal Engine 2.5, so if you expected Unreal Tournament 3 visuals, I will have to disappoint you. UT3 makes use of Unreal Engine 3 (although not the latest version of course). There is no such stuff as bloom, depth of field, post process and bumpmapping in UT2004, those things were introduced in Unreal Engine 2.x which came after this and was used for Unreal Championship 2 on the Xbox.
        There are mods like the enb series that lets you add some sort of bloom effect/post process sort of effect, but the engine is limited and it can hardly take the high amount of polys that UT3 has, so custom maps for UT2004 won't necessarily have better visuals than what you see in the game.

Comment

Additionally to what sly said I recommend getting mods that use high quality models and textures such as Ballistic Weapons and custom maps. They often look way better than the stock ones.

Comment

Okay so I've lost my mind?

I remember an Unreal Tournament game that had stunning visuals with Egyptian themes and incredible temple maps.
            It had rag-doll physics where you'd see a dead character slide down the steps.

Lens flare that was awesome in the outdoor maps. Wondrous vistas....

Is there another game that came out just before the last Unreal Tournament III....?
            I'm looking for the one with vehicles galore....like the car and hover jet.....and tanks....

Did I buy the wrong game and is there another after this one?
            OOORRRRR.......oh no....is my memory from 10 years ago clouded and this is that same game seen with much older eyes.....

Can't be. I just read the reviews and it basically said Unreal Tournament III was the same game as 2004 with stuff added...
            UTIII looks insane!

Comment

Originally posted by roninomega View Post
              Okay so I've lost my mind?

I remember an Unreal Tournament game that had stunning visuals with Egyptian themes and incredible temple maps.
              It had rag-doll physics where you'd see a dead character slide down the steps.

Lens flare that was awesome in the outdoor maps. Wondrous vistas....

Is there another game that came out just before the last Unreal Tournament III....?
              I'm looking for the one with vehicles galore....like the car and hover jet.....and tanks....

Did I buy the wrong game and is there another after this one?
              OOORRRRR.......oh no....is my memory from 10 years ago clouded and this is that same game seen with much older eyes.....

Can't be. I just read the reviews and it basically said Unreal Tournament III was the same game as 2004 with stuff added...
              UTIII looks insane!
              There was no Unreal (Tournament) game on the PC between Unreal Tournament 2004 and Unreal Tournament 3. Howerver, Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict came out on the Xbox in 2005, almost three years before Unreal Tournament 3 was released.

What you describe is Unreal Tournament 2004 seen through rose-tinted nostalgia glasses. There was a huge jump in graphic fidelity from Unreal Tournament 2004 to Unreal Tournament 3. What people are referring to when they say "Unreal Tournament III was the same game as 2004 with stuff added" is the actual content of the game in terms of weapons, maps, vehicles, game modes, etc. Even then, Unreal Tournament 3 is widely regarded as having less content in some area than Unreal Tournament 2004.

Comment

Thank you so very much for clearing that up.
                I have no idea what to do now.

Comment

Play the game. Unreal Tournament 2004 is still an amazing game. Yeah, sure, the graphics are dated, but the aesthetics and gameplay are fantastic 10 years later which makes the game very playable. It's not like one of those games that look and play so bad that it's an inconvenience to even play (I'm looking at you, Deus Ex and Knights of the Old Republic...)

There is a reason why it is widely considered the best (if not the second-best behind Unreal Tournament '99) of the Unreal Tournament franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by roninomega View Post
                    Thank you so very much for clearing that up.
                    I have no idea what to do now.
                    Get mods! There are so many mods out there, awesome vehicles, weapons, gametypes, maps, TC mods... This game is one of the most changeable games out there.

Comment

Personally I don't see UT3 having *that* much better graphics, either. Well, potentially, yes, it could have had, but Epic went overboard with grungification and overdetail and bloom that in the end UT3 doesn't really feel that much better (although the Blossom mutator helps quite a bit). At least UT2004 style is clean and easy on the eyes.

I'd say you just need to play it more to get used to it again. The gameplay is still as solid as it was when you last left the game, after all.

And yes, people mentioned mods. For instance, you can have UT3 weapon graphics in UT2004 if you want, through my UT3 style mod. Also, using the HUD fix mod would be a good start as well (your HUD is stretched out).

Comment

Those screencaps look fine to me. UT2004 lacks UT3's pretty graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosWolf View Post
                          Those screencaps look fine to me. UT2004 lacks UT3's pretty graphics.
                          For some reason I always thought the opposite.

Comment

Those screenshots are in an awkward resolution, which, if you used the F9 command for in-game screenshots, definitely doesn't match any monitor.

Do you play windowed or fullscreen, and if the latter, what's your native resolution?

Comment

So..... Yes the game looks 10 years old

Comment

Working...
                              X