Full vs Demo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full vs Demo

I just bought the DVD SE version of UT 2004 yesterday. I have been playing the demo and when I played onlsught in it my FPS were about 30-40 FPS. Then When I played it on the Full Version I run it at about 10-15 FPS. But I can run all other gametypes really good. Whats the deal. I also hear the cd version is better too?

I had a similar issue with the speed of the game in assault and onslaught. To get it to go faster, I hade to switch my sound to "Safe Mode" (it doesn't sound any different to me), disable voice commands, and disable the preload character skins checkbox. Also, make sure you have all the latest drivers for your hardware. If you still have problems turn down your display settings. I still have some major texturing problems in several maps though and sometimes objects become invisible (as well as the ground).

And yes there are severe problems with the DVD version of the game. The game is exactly the same as the CD version except that a lot of people seem to have trouble getting it to install or can't get it to fully install without some sort of error message. I have a defective DVD with an odd crescent-like stamp on the data side of the disc.

How did I get the game working? Well, I ended up downloading the CD version of the game (I really didn't want to have to resort to that) and used my CD key with it. I plan on using this version of the game until I can get a replacement from Atari. I've already contacted them but it will take 3-4 days to get a response. Afterall, I've paid for the game and would like to be able to use it.

In short, if you are able to play the game with the DVD version and are only experiencing framerate issues then you are much better off than the majority of people here with the DVD version.

Comment

my dvd version works perfectly:bulb:

wierd thing is that people go on about their version having two dvds while mine just has one dvd to install and play

dunno maybe coz im in the UK or something:haha:

Comment

Originally posted by KoLo
        my dvd version works perfectly:bulb:

wierd thing is that people go on about their version having two dvds while mine just has one dvd to install and play

dunno maybe coz im in the UK or something:haha:
        At least you can install, which is more than I can do. However, my second DVD works perfectly. It isn't much use when it comes to actually playing though.

Comment

Just the same problem like nate has over here. System specs:
          P4 2,8GHz + HT, 800MHz FSB
          2x256MB RAM
          ATi RADEON 9800 Pro
          Creative SB Audigy 2

What can be the problem? The game even sucks framerates if I set the settings lower than in the demo!

I'd really love to know which brain-used-as-doorstopper changed the code in this adverse way. I want a PATCH!

I can summarize my problems into these four points:[list=1][*]Demo & Full: No VoIP with Listen servers - starting a dedicated server AND the game is not a problem in the demo, BUT:[*]Full: Deoptimization??? - lags and low framerates all over - even with worse settings than in the demo![*]Full: Crappy netcode - even more lags, connection problens and whatever else. As UT2k4 is meant for networks, this will urgently need handling.[*]Demo & Full: Catastrophic server administration - the server administration isn't straightforward. You have to log on and type millions of cryptic commands into the console just to change ONE setting. A menu would be nice, and it would be also great if the game wouldn't disconnect if you press Escape in this menu.[/list=1]

It is time to make a patch.

Comment

i got better framerates in the demo on high then i'm getting now on with everything on medium/low, i never dropped below 90 everything high on the demo, i'm lucky if i get 30 with everything medium now...
            athlon64 3200+, radeon 9800 pro, 512 ram, SB audigy2 zs:cry:

Comment

Since you have only 512 meg memory, disable "preload player skins", it will help your performance.

Z.

Comment

i did that, it boosted my average by 2 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Zorlag
                  Since you have only 512 meg memory, disable "preload player skins", it will help your performance.
                  ONLY 512MB??? You call that ONLY?

I plan to upgrade my RAM to 1G. Hmm... I'll try deactivating that option.

Still. This is not fair.

Comment

I am getting dicouraged

I just sent my well earned money to a friend for him to buy the DVD SE, and reading this post is discouraging me in the worst way possible. My computer is a Pentium 3 866Mghz (no it has'nt fossilized yet) with 700 and some odd Mg of RAM, and a 64 Mg geForce2 Mx400. And I was still capable of running the demo at the lowest setting with a reasonable framerate, but if the full version is so buggy it might just make my PC explode.

I hope I will at least be able to play the **** thing!!!

Cmdr_Wulf

Comment

Working...
                    X