Windows 8 Cannot find UT2004 Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 8 Cannot find UT2004 Files

For some insane reason that I do not understand, I cannot seem to copy files from my UT2004 Maps folder simply because they show up in UnrealEd, but not in the File Explorer. I even toggled the Hidden Items option on and nothing shows up. There's even files that I recently downloaded for UT2004 that don't show up on the File Explorer, but, for some magical reason, they show up in UnrealEd. This is a big problem as, if something were ever to go wrong with my PC, it could erase all of my work on my current map. Does anyone with Windows 8 (or 7, as I am using the Desktop in 8) have any idea what is going on?

P.S. The sound issues with UT2004 were fixed up, thanks to those who helped in that topic.

I'm using Win7 x64 and can't help you. All files are where they're supposed to be.

Comment

The problem is that I downloaded the files, extracted them to where they are supposed to be, and, while on the folders it doesn't show any files, if you start up UT2004, it will act as if the files are there!(no missing textures, models, maps, etc.)

Who knows, this might just be something Windows 8 does with files. Including files that you create for different progress points on a map you make.

Either way, thanks for the help!

Comment

This sounds similar to their file virtualisation thing (which is a horrible idea to begin with in my opinion). Try launching UnrealEd with administrator privileges and see if you can still see the files.

Comment

I checked it out in UnrealEd, actually, and the files showed up there. (I should have said that instead of UT2004, my bad) As for file virtualization, is there a way to turn that off or disable it for certain files? Because I do not exactly like the idea of having to open up UnrealEd just to save a copy of my level to my flash in case something ever goes wrong with the hard drive. Not that I could not do that, as my laptop is much, much better on the hardware front than my desktop.

P.S. The reason I am worried about this is because I had that temporary account status come up when I booted up my PC a few days ago. I first thought my PC wiped almost everything that I had set up on it until I researched it some more and found out about all of the different causes for the status. Thankfully, that wasn't the case! (I'm new to some of the features that were introduced in Windows 7 and Windows 8)

Thanks in advance, as always!

Comment

Please don't mention Win7 when complaining about problems you are having with Win8.

One thing you should always keep in mind is that UT2004 is a "pre non-admin" game. That means, it doesn't expect the difficulties of being installed in a location with restricted write access. The original setup recommended C:\UT2004 as default location. The Program Files folder cannot be written to unless you request admin privileges. UT2004 doesn't know how to do that, which is why Windows might decide to put stuff in a fallback location. I think that's somewhere in C:\Program Data by default. An easy way to avoid that is to no install the game to Program Files in the first place. When working with the editor, you may also experience other reasons for that, because some parts of the engine still don't like spaces in file paths. That mostly affects import, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Flak Master View Post
              I checked it out in UnrealEd, actually, and the files showed up there. (I should have said that instead of UT2004, my bad) As for file virtualization, is there a way to turn that off or disable it for certain files? Because I do not exactly like the idea of having to open up UnrealEd just to save a copy of my level to my flash in case something ever goes wrong with the hard drive. Not that I could not do that, as my laptop is much, much better on the hardware front than my desktop.

P.S. The reason I am worried about this is because I had that temporary account status come up when I booted up my PC a few days ago. I first thought my PC wiped almost everything that I had set up on it until I researched it some more and found out about all of the different causes for the status. Thankfully, that wasn't the case! (I'm new to some of the features that were introduced in Windows 7 and Windows 8)

Thanks in advance, as always!
              You can disable it globally via the group policy. It's a good idea to do so in general, because instead of disappearing files, you'll get access denied errors, that clearly indicate permission problems whenever they arise. When that happens just launch the program with admin rights and everything will work correctly.

Though it doesn't solve your current issue in that your files have been transported to some obscure hidden location. Not much you can do about that (aside from searching on the net how to extract them again, which as far as I heard is not an easy task), just make sure you don't get more files transported there by turning off virtualisation.

Comment

Do you see the files in the "Open dialog" of the UnrealEd? If so, open the properties dialog and look for its location.

What's your install path?

Comment

I apologize for the belated response. I actually just now found an article that directed me to where I needed to go. Thanks for the help, as I have never heard of file virtualization before!

However, in the last few times I was working on my next map in UnrealEd, I noticed something strange. When I check the Build Options, (for node-poly ratios, to see the status of my map) I do not see any numbers. Here is a picture of what's going on:

Anyone know if this has something to do with Win8? Because, as far as I can remember, I never got anything like this on WinXP.

Comment

Are you running it in compatibility mode?

Comment

Concerning the f****d up window, have a look at Heimdallr's thread "Windows buggy into UnrealEd 3" (also in troubleshooting and technology), if that doesn't help look at the "Editor Tool Windows" sticky thread.

Comment

OK, others have apparently experienced this, and it seems that sometimes UnrealEd goes all crazy with the window, and other times it doesn't, as the window looks perfectly normal right now. I'm going to try making a copy of the UnrealEdDLL.dll file and, if this problem becomes a real big issue later, I'll try copying it to the System folder. In the worst case scenario, I'll have to reinstall Unreal Tournament 2004.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Comment

Yea, UnrealEd is really weird sometimes. To this day I have no idea how to maximise it on Windows 7, for instance. And the viewports are handles in such a crazy way that they are inoperable through Wine.

Comment

Working...
                          X