Multiple Installations using the same DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Installations using the same DVD

Now, I'm not the one necessarily interested in doing this as much as my older brother, who does not own this game himself. He's been wanting to play LAN against me for years. My question is, would there be any problems caused by having two installations using the same DVD and the same CD Key?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I need to know before I let him go and do something that would get me banned or something like that.(as he doesn't want to buy his own copy if he doesn't need to)

Thanks in advance!

As far as I know it's not an issue unless you're both going online from different IP addresses. Of course, if he likes UT he should get his own copy from GOG or Steam etc.

Comment

There's absolutely no problem in LAN games, as the installation source is irrelevant. For online games, you will want to make sure everyone has a different CD key, though. Note that GOG sells the game with the same standard CD key for everyone, which is actually banned on Llama Punter (a popular ban manager with central online database, also known under its former name UTAN) because it was used for cheating. Contact GOG in that case to get your own key. Again, that is not a problem in LAN games.

Comment

Yea, if both are running from the same NAT, it's fine, but the key could get banned if it isn't. So if you do share the DVD, instruct your brother to not install it on computers outside your LAN.

Comment

Ah, that's good. We both use the same router for our internet connections, so that shouldn't be a problem. As for him installing it on other PCs with different IP addresses, I won't let him, as it is my copy of the game. I don't think I'll have to worry about him playing the game online, though I will warn him about that.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X