Unstable Ping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unstable Ping

I've had this problem to all servers for a while now and I've tried absolutely everything I can think of to try and fix it.
    Basically when I'm playing my ping will jump for a split second. I could have a ping of 24 and almost every second it will flick to 0/4/8/999 and back to 24, making nearly all my shots lag. Sometime I don't see other people's rockets/flak as well. It will do this the whole game while I'm playing but when spectating the ping stays at a stable 24 and doesn't move.
    I've seen other people mention this happening to them years ago but nowhere has anyone found a fix.
    I've spoken to my ISP who have confirmed everything is fine their end which I accept as ping tests etc all come back with very good results.

I primarily use Windows 7 but did a clean install of XP a few weeks ago and still get the same results.
    I've also tried a different computer, a new router, new NIC, cables and the test socket. All of which made no difference.

I also created a dedicated server then connected to it and even then my ping is always jumping.

No idea what else to try but would be grateful for any ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Did you try changing your netspeed? What is it set to, anyway? Do you get packetloss?

Comment

Make sure there's no other traffic. You might have to shut down instant messengers like Skype, ICQ, MSN, Facebook and also e-mail programs. Depending on your bandwidth, these may cause delays. If you share a connection with others and those are downloading stuff, you will see almost the same effects as if you download it yourself.

Comment

Well , I don't know many things about this but you can try change any internet setting inside game. These are possible solutions inside game setting that might work;

1st > Change your Connection type to LAN/T1 in GAME Tab
        2nd > Don't raise your NetSpeed to high like 30000-40000 , keep it nearby the default "10000"
        3rd > Sometimes changing the InI file would work , if you want here's mine :
        USER.INI
        http://www.mediafire.com/?xq4noq0cyn7s0bp
        UT2004.INI
        http://www.mediafire.com/?ipfwt51dibfe78r

Comment

I've tried many different netspeeds from 8000-15000 (usually have it at 10001). Very rarely get packet loss but not related to this problem.
          Definitely nothing using up bandwidth and usually I'm the only one using the internet. Also tried using the KillerNIC to manage all traffic which didn't help.
          I've tried changing all the network related settings in game and netspeed is only hidden one I know about. Are there any others?

Comment

Originally posted by Mentall View Post
            I've tried many different netspeeds from 8000-15000 (usually have it at 10001). Very rarely get packet loss but not related to this problem.
            Definitely nothing using up bandwidth and usually I'm the only one using the internet. Also tried using the KillerNIC to manage all traffic which didn't help.
            I've tried changing all the network related settings in game and net-speed is only hidden one I know about. Are there any others?
            Did you tried the network connection type?
            For me when I used to play , I was having tremendous lag when I accidentally set it to Modem/ADSL.
            If yes , then you might just try the INI files that I send you. That's the last possible solution within game I know.

Comment

That dropdown list only picks a netspeed.

Comment

Originally posted by chronox View Post
                Did you tried the network connection type?
                For me when I used to play , I was having tremendous lag when I accidentally set it to Modem/ADSL.
                If yes , then you might just try the INI files that I send you. That's the last possible solution within game I know.
                Yeah changing that made no difference.
                I tried using default ini's which didnt help so I doubt any others would fix it. wouldn't hurt to try I guess.

Comment

Has anyone managed to fix this problem? I have the same exact symptoms, ping drops from 24 to 0 then to 999 and back to 24 and only when in close combat with somebody, even bots.

Comment

Working...
                  X