Can Mods Cause UT2004 to Run Slow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Mods Cause UT2004 to Run Slow?

I have hundreds of mods installed in UT2004. I have also noticed extreme lag, even in default maps. I used to run everything maxed out graphically, now I have no choice but to run with everything low and medium. I have a high-end computer so this is obviously not at all normal. Is it the mods causing this to happen? If so I am going to uninstall the mods I don't use. Please help.

I don't think it is the mods that are slowing down your game, you may not have alot of Space on your hardrive, that tends to reduce speed on any computer, I got loads of mod on my computer but they have not slowed down my computer and I have a average but powerful computer. I know one mod that has slow down my computer, the real time shadows mod from Dweather for UT2004.

Comment

It may be one particular mod /mutator / whatever custom thing you use that may be causing a slowdown. I recommend playing a vanilla match (no mutators / custom gametype / customs skins etc) and see if it still laggs. If it does not, you can start re-adding all the mods one by one to see which one is causing the lag.

Oh and keep in mind that some mods don't like each other. (Because they both try to force an own pawnclass or something like that)

Comment

Another reason for such slowdown could be data corruption. To solve that, you have several layers of options: a) repatch the game, b) reinstall the game, c) reinstall the operating system.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Another reason for such slowdown could be data corruption. To solve that, you have several layers of options: a) repatch the game, b) reinstall the game, c) reinstall the operating system.
          Thanks for the tip! I'm gonna try repatching it and see if that helps. If I have to do any of the other things then that will be a huge problem for me.

Baryonyx, it lags even in Single Player tournament mode now too so it isn't what you said.

Dy1ing, I have over 500gb of space available on my hard drive. There's definitely plenty of space for the game to run.

Thanks for the help guys. I just tried repatching and I will see if that works. I'll post what happens.

Comment

My problem was indeed mostly data corruption. Repatching solved several glitches and frame rate drops. The other part of my problem was the fact that I used to run in 800x600 and I increased it to 1360x768. The increase in screen resolution is also having some flaws. I'm going to lower the resolution a little bit, keeping it in 16:9 form. That should fix the rest of the problem. Thanks for all the help everybody! And an extra thanks for how quick you guys posted! I was able to fix the problem as soon as I woke up!

Comment

So I take it you run UT2004 on Windows and use NTFS for storage. Data corruption is indeed one of the worst things in NTFS. You might want to run chkdsk, too, it might help with the remaining problems, but it doesn't always work, either. That corruption is also the reason why you need to periodically reinstall Windows, as the system itself will eventually become slow.
              On Linux, the problem has been partially solved in EXT4 with automatic journal consistency checksumming and completely solved in Btrfs with file checksumming. It seems that it was enough for Microsoft to realise that it's important, so they have announced ReFS which will also have file checksumming. But so far it's announced only for Windows Server 2012 and who knows when it'll get to one of the consumer releases...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                So I take it you run UT2004 on Windows and use NTFS for storage. Data corruption is indeed one of the worst things in NTFS. You might want to run chkdsk, too, it might help with the remaining problems, but it doesn't always work, either. That corruption is also the reason why you need to periodically reinstall Windows, as the system itself will eventually become slow.
                On Linux, the problem has been partially solved in EXT4 with automatic journal consistency checksumming and completely solved in Btrfs with file checksumming. It seems that it was enough for Microsoft to realise that it's important, so they have announced ReFS which will also have file checksumming. But so far it's announced only for Windows Server 2012 and who knows when it'll get to one of the consumer releases...
                I would use Linux but I need Windows because it runs all of the games and programs that I use. I really don't want to reinstall because I have 500gb of data and it will be impossible to back it up. I've been using System Mechanic Professional to try and keep Windows running smoothly, but it ain't doing a very good job. What is this chkdsk thing you are talking about? It sounds familiar but I don't know what it is.

Comment

Press LOGO + R and type chkdsk (abbreviation for Check Disk)

Comment

Alternatively, if you really like graphical utilities, you can right-click on your drive(s), go to Properties, to another tab I don't recall off the top of my head, and you'll see an item called "Check disk for errors" or something of the sort. That's the frontend for chkdsk. Note that to get it to fix your disk, you need to select both checkboxes and then reboot, and wait around half an hour for it to complete the process.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys! I'm try that out tonight. I appreciate the help!

Comment

If you have a lot of custom skins installed, uncheck the "Preload all player skins" option. It can cause slow loading.

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post
                          If you have a lot of custom skins installed, uncheck the "Preload all player skins" option. It can cause slow loading.
                          I only have 1 or 2 custom skins, but thanks for the advice!

Comment

Working...
                          X