No announcement yet.

Need help getting patch to work in linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well afaik dxt2 compressed textures of ut2003 are only supportet by the opengl drivers from ati and nVidia... maybe this has something to do woth the glx thing?

Comment

Well I know it can play ut2k3 because I play it on windows. I just want to play it on linux because I hear you can get an extra 15fps on linux. And when I play it on windows I just long for that extra 15fps.

Well because you can just guess the rest of my computer with intel extreme graphics.
      I'll give you a hint
      500mhz
      320mb ram (Upgrade from 64mb)
      New 120gb harddrive (Yes I just got this upgrade)
      And intel extreme graphics.
      So you can see that 15fps would be REALLY REALLY nice.

Comment

in windows you play directX.. I said the opengl driver, or maybe not even the ones for opengl for windows (not sure about them) but definitely the linux drivers from some companies do not support this... I am not sure about today.. it's almost a year now that this was definitely 100% true so don't blame me.. just a thought...

Comment

Originally posted by bling bling
          Well I know it can play ut2k3 because I play it on windows. I just want to play it on linux because I hear you can get an extra 15fps on linux. And when I play it on windows I just long for that extra 15fps.
          So you can see that 15fps would be REALLY REALLY nice.
          Yeah, I feel your pain...

I have never heard anyone say that OpenGL/X beats DirectX (from anyone worth listening to ). The other way around I hear often enough.

I don't think that the iXtreme will run any better under X than under DirectX, maybe even worse. And that is if you can find GLX with dxt2 support...
          The reason for this is mainly the gfxchip itself. It is an integrated chip which sits on the same bus as the CPU, sharing the memory (SDRAM100 IIRC). The bandwidth is very limited and the CPU and GPU has to fight over it. It isn't a high performance solution.

Comment

Yeah I know. The main problem is it uses the cpu to do it's work and doesn't have it's own gpu.
            Well at least I know I get the vote for "Worst computer to play Unreal Tournament 2003."
            I just hope UT2K4 will run on this computer.

Comment

ut2004 is the same engine.. in fact its almost the same game, but: afaik know is there a new pci grafics card... The last pci card worth mentioning was the Geforce2 .. there were no vrsions for 3 and 4 but I heared that the geforce fx 5200 will be available in pci... if this rumour is true, you could think of that.. of course not the very best card.. but I do not think you can get a better one in pci...

Comment

Ehhh I'm not going to bother upgrading this pc. I am getting a new one in like 3 months and HOPEFULLY ut2k4 for my b-day w00t.
                One question
                How much does harddrive access time and transfer rate affect game speed?

Comment

Personally I'd say it is only important if you have low memory because of the swap file and it affects loading times a little... but in fact it's very unimportant...

Comment

Ok so when it is loading right before the level it moves all the data to ram?
                    I was thinking it still left someon the harddrive.

Comment

well I'm not sure how much is put into the ram but quite a bit and it loads definitely much faster with enough memory...

Comment

Ok thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X