Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help getting patch to work in linux

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Need help getting patch to work in linux

    I get this when I try and un-tar the 2225 patch for linux.

    bash-2.05b# tar -xzvf ut2003lnx_patch2225.tar.tar

    gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
    tar: Child returned status 1
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
    bash-2.05b#

    So ummm yeah how do I get the **** thing to un-tar.
    I am running slackware 9.0.

    #2
    And here is what I get from a simple tar -xf command

    bash-2.05b# tar -xf ut2003lnx_patch2225.tar.tar
    tar: This does not look like a tar archive
    tar: Skipping to next header
    tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
    bash-2.05b#


    So I was thinking just why do you not use tar.gz?

    Comment


      #3
      This looks like the windows-damaged 2225 tar.bz2 archive that is circulating.

      Use "tar -xjf ..." to unpack.

      Hint: file(1) will tell you what a file is in most cases.

      Comment


        #4
        bash-2.05b# tar -xjf ut2003lnx_patch2225.tar.tar
        tar: invalid option -- j
        Try `tar --help' for more information.
        bash-2.05b#

        And after looking at the help file I am trying tar -x on the file but it is taking longer then I thought it would. And I don't know if it will work.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by bling bling
          bash-2.05b# tar -xjf ut2003lnx_patch2225.tar.tar
          tar: invalid option -- j
          Try `tar --help' for more information.
          bash-2.05b#

          And after looking at the help file I am trying tar -x on the file but it is taking longer then I thought it would. And I don't know if it will work.
          Oops! You must have an old tar..

          Try "bzip2 -cd <filename> | tar x".

          Comment


            #6
            afaik (and I do not play ut2003 in linux so please forgive me if I am wrong):

            1. the file isn't a tar.tar but a tar.bz2 and missnamed...

            2. there is the lokigames updater... which updates automatically in linux

            3. if the renaming thing is wrong, get the bz2 from http://utstats.gibgames.com/unreal/u...ch2225.tar.bz2

            4. not sure what exaclty this is
            http://unreal.epicgames.com/linux/ut...ull2225.sh.bin

            but maybe useful too...

            Comment


              #7
              Ok so now I have the patch extracted but when I run update.sh nothing happens. So I open it in gedit and see that it needs the file
              $HOME/.ut2003/System/AutoPatch.txt

              So I checked and I don't have that file!!
              So now I am wondering do I need to install ut2003 it as a normal user or as root?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Syberdoor
                afaik (and I do not play ut2003 in linux so please forgive me if I am wrong):

                1. the file isn't a tar.tar but a tar.bz2 and missnamed...
                You're not wrong per se, but Linux doesn't care about file extensions or names so you can name a tar.bz2 file whatever you want.

                I also don't play UT2k3 under Linux (I run servers though) and for me the loki scripts were nothing but pain (they made icky assumptions about my system). Not to mention that they never updated the server beyond 2199...

                But you may have a point for the client...

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by bling bling
                  Ok so now I have the patch extracted but when I run update.sh nothing happens. So I open it in gedit and see that it needs the file
                  $HOME/.ut2003/System/AutoPatch.txt

                  So I checked and I don't have that file!!
                  So now I am wondering do I need to install ut2003 it as a normal user or as root?
                  You should always install and run it as a normal user.

                  Are you trying to set up the client or the server?

                  The name of your tar archive indicates that it is an incremental patch. You probably need to have a working installation before you apply it.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Ok so I just installed it as a normal user and got the patch to work then I tried to start it and got

                    sh-2.05b$ ut2003
                    Couldn't set video mode: Couldn't find matching GLX visual


                    History:

                    Exiting due to error
                    sh-2.05b$

                    It does display the splash screen but after that it closes and I get that.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by bling bling
                      Ok so I just installed it as a normal user and got the patch to work then I tried to start it and got

                      sh-2.05b$ ut2003
                      Couldn't set video mode: Couldn't find matching GLX visual


                      History:

                      Exiting due to error
                      sh-2.05b$

                      It does display the splash screen but after that it closes and I get that.
                      As I haven't tried the client under Linux (and haven't really run X at all for a few years) I'm not sure what causes that. Do you have the proper GLX libraries installed?
                      What is your graphics card, Nvidia?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        *Pulls back a little*
                        Intel extreme graphics.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by bling bling
                          *Pulls back a little*
                          Intel extreme graphics.
                          Hehe, I'm happy to say I'm completely unfamiliar with those...

                          Is that an i740?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            All I know is it's a 82810E intel extreme graphics controller.

                            **** thing I wish I had a radeon 9800pro but my **** computer doesn't have a **** agp slot.
                            *Give Compaq teh finger*

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by bling bling
                              All I know is it's a 82810E intel extreme graphics controller.

                              **** thing I wish I had a radeon 9800pro but my **** computer doesn't have a **** agp slot.
                              *Give Compaq teh finger*
                              Eeeew! I wonder if that is good enough to run UT2k3...

                              Anyway, it is supported by Xfree86 but your gonna have to find GLX extensions for it (though I doubt they exist).

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X