Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Editor Tool Windows

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Editor Tool Windows

In the last few days i've come across a problem with the unreal editor. Almost everytime I click the Terrain Editing tool to open the terrain editing window, it opens but the buttons are randomly placed around the window, on the layers and decoration tabs the delete, move up, move down etc.. are almost always removed completely.

Here is a screeny to illlustrate the problem.

As you can see in the screeny, the New terrain button is also completely missing this time. It happened once today to the window that pops up when you right click a surface and go into surface properties. When it happens, it happens for good and I have to restart the editor and hope that it doesn't happen when I open these windows. I've noticed that if I configure the viewports in the editor before opening anything, it sometimes helps to minimize the disruption, although this could just be a coincidence.

I've tried deleting the unrealed.ini file but it doesn't help. I've also tried going into the ATI video settings and disabling/enabling things like Catalyst ATI but it doesn't seem to be helping either.

Everytime I open the editor it seems to happen at different degrees, sometimes the buttons might be all in the wrong places, but just on screen enough for me to make sense of them and use them, other times they are completely lost making it impossible for me to use the editor.

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 64bit and I have an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4GB RAM and a Radeon HD 3800 graphics card.

I think I might need to adjust a setting somewhere but I don't know what. It's strange this has only just started happening. I wonder if one of the updates I downloaded for windows has caused this.

Thanks for any assistance.

Originally posted by INIQUITOUS View Post
    I recently upgraded to Windows 7 64bit and I have an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4GB RAM and a Radeon HD 3800 graphics card.
    Want an honest response? The red thing is the issue.

The problem is known and pretty much everyone, maybe with one exception, had Windows 7.

Works flawless on Vista 32 bit.

Nobody tests if new drivers and operating systems are still compatible with old software.

I heard in one case that the problem got solved when they plugged in a 4:3 screen. If you have one try that (I know, a really bad solution), but it's the best thing I've heard so far.

Maybe you can also try to run the editor in compatibility mode, change the font size of your OS to the default one and some other crazy things.

Comment

It's been working fine for a couple of months, then all of a sudden it started acting up which leads me to believe it was an update for Windows 7 or ... some other setting that was changed without my knowledge.

I already tried changing the compatability mode but it didn't help. I've been trying to open the editor for an hour now with no luck, the Terrain tool is still messed up :'(

Comment

Well, there might be another completely different thing you could try, though it's very hacky and didn't provide a solution for this problem, at least according to another guy who had this problem. But maybe it works for you:

Download this tool.
        Open the exe file of the editor with this tool (but make a safety copy first!).
        You should see a lot of stuff (vague description, can't tell you more precisely). You need to look at "Dialogs". Things are opened with double-click.
        Continue your search until you found the Terrain Editor window (if you can't find it: forget about all this stuff).
        Now you can arrange all it's buttons and controls in any way you wish. Save and done.

Maybe that helps, maybe not. This solution was originally posted by Wutz in a German forum.

Comment

I was looking for something like that, that allows me to set the locations for the buttons, i'll give it a try later. I have UT2004 installed on another drive, which I completely forgot about, I just loaded up that editor a dozen times and each time all of the menus, including the Terrain Tools loaded correctly. :S I don't want to have to use that installation though. This must mean that it isn't a problem with Windows? But with Unreal or something else applying changes to the unrealed in my c drive.

Comment

Try deleting Editor.ini.

Comment

Originally posted by INIQUITOUS View Post
              I've tried deleting the unrealed.ini file but it doesn't help.
              Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              Try deleting Editor.ini.

Comment

Oh huh, no wonder I didn't post that when I first saw the topic. Anyway, I remember someone else asking the exact same thing on these forums, so a search should turn something out.

Comment

dont move and open the terrain editor, it worked fine for me

Comment

Got the same problem and reported it a while ago here, with no solution.
                    macauw, your way doesn't help either.

So far I haven't found anything that definitely solves this, just sometimes I'm lucky and everything's fine.

Comment

Originally posted by PaD View Post
                      Got the same problem and reported it a while ago here, with no solution.
                      macauw, your way doesn't help either.

So far I haven't found anything that definitely solves this, just sometimes I'm lucky and everything's fine.
                      have same issue but it was not from first run but after some time (days, weeks) maybe some windows update cause this (framework.net? visual Studio version or so?) i think its some small stupid bug or change which can be fixed by minutes but my hopes for Epic UT2004 Patch to fix this are probably futile

Comment

ok so...

SOLUTION IS:

make fresh reinstall and after you patch game than go to system folder and make backup of UnrealEdDLL.dll file and every time when its ****ed up than just replace file with backup.

//its happening only on widescreen displays with WIN vista and WIN7?

Maybe some clever coder can investigate what is issue within unrealeddll.dll?

Comment

Apparently, that's NTFS in its whole glory.

Comment

I found a solution for the button arrangement in the Unrealed.info forums:
                            Open the User.ini and under [WindowPositions] set
                            WPropertyPage=(X=100,Y=100,XL=0,YL=0)

(thanks to user "eGo")

However, the windows for layer selection still remain black.

Comment

I had the same problem with the surface properties window, all the text and buttons were aligned badly, unreadable and unusable. Worked fine in Windows 8.1 until today. Changed it to

Surface Properties=(X=100,Y=100,XL=1000,YL=1000)

Worked perfectly.

EDIT: Just noticed this thread is now stickied. I've had this problem crop every week or so since I've been using Windows 8.1. The simplest and quickest way to deal with this is to just delete the whole [WindowPositions] section of your User.ini (after closing the editor, of course.) All window/button positions will be fixed (reset to default) the next time you run the editor.

Comment

Working...
                              X