Runtime Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Runtime Error

I get a runtime error when i try to play UT2004. It pops up under Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library. I am using Windows XP, and have tried reinstalling with no luck. Any advice?

Move all the .UPL and .UCL files away from the System folder and try again. You can also try to patch it to the latest version.

Comment

I'm having this problem too. I've done everything:
      -Reinstalled (twice)
      -Patched the game (twice)
      -Reinstalled .NET framework and C++ Runtime Libraries
      -Updated and downgraded my video drivers
      -Moved all the .upl and .ucl files away from the system folder
      -Deleted UT2004.ini and edited it.

This seems to be a common problem. Why hasn't it been fixed?

Comment

Because it's impossible to reproduce it. You get absolutely no information about what caused it or how to solve it both the error message and the log.
        It might also mean that the CD you're trying to install from is corrupted, however, patching should technically solve the problem... Or it could mean that your PC doesn't have enough resources to run UT2004. Or actually that can mean anything at all.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Because it's impossible to reproduce it. You get absolutely no information about what caused it or how to solve it both the error message and the log.
          It might also mean that the CD you're trying to install from is corrupted, however, patching should technically solve the problem... Or it could mean that your PC doesn't have enough resources to run UT2004. Or actually that can mean anything at all.

Reproduce the error? That's actually pretty easy. It happens everytime I open the game. I'm positive my computer has the resources, as it ran fine for a day before this happened. Also, I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but this is the Steam version.

Comment

Does the MS report error come up? If so there is usually info there,not always right but it's a start.The only time I've seen this from 2k4 my vid card was getting ready to kick and was over heating.

Comment

Nope. Just pops up with the Microsoft C++ Runtime Library window and says that UT has asked the runtime to terminate in an unusual way.

EDIT

I'm reinstalling for the third time now... I'm going to patch it again as well and see if it makes a difference.

EDIT

No use. Same problem again.

Comment

http://pastebin.com/m28949479

I posted the log here. Hopefully this contributes to something being done.

Comment

Originally posted by ch847 View Post
                  as it ran fine for a day before this happened.
                  ^-- That's why it's impossible to reproduce the bug. It just appears and disappears randomly on some PCs. However, it's interesting that you have something in the log written, usually those errors appear before the logger is initialised. Try crashing again and see if there's something else after the word "warning", that would give us the cause...
                  Also, you might try to run the game in safe mode: right-click on the shortcut and in the Target field add -safe and then check if something changed.

Comment

Now the log is blank. Safe mode didn't help either.

Comment

I got it running on safe mode. I think I've narrowed it down to it having something to do with the splash screen. The error only occurs when the splash screen doesn't show (such as safe mode).

Comment

Okay I've solved the problem. It's a bit touchy and it has to be configured right but here's how I did it.

Since I figure out the splash screen was the problem, I looked around and found this command

-nosplash

I put it in and started the game. The splash screen still shows, but the game runs. Now I reinstalled my old drivers and went in and switched some settings around. When I changed the render device from the software to my card and restarted the game, it gave me the error again, so I started the safe mode launch and started normally. It looks as if this will bypass whatever is causing the error. A minor inconvinience until we can figure out exactly what the issue is.

Comment

I had the same problem. New fresh install of ut 2004 and when trying to launch game got the runtime error. Had installed all the patches and the ece pack plus the mega pack everthing listed here as what you will need.
                          What i did was I went to another ut site to down load the 3369 patch and instead of saving it to my documents I chose run (instead of save) it installed the patch and the runtime error was gone. dont know if that copy was better or what happened but maybe just choose run instead of save when you load the patch and see if it helps.
                          Hope this helps!!

Comment

Using Run is the same as downloading, just that instead of downloading to where you specify it to download, it downloads files to the Temporary Internet Files folder.

Comment

well I found myself in the same positions again. My system is doin the same thing Hope I can find the answer I found before.
                              Originally posted by watch4it View Post
                              I had the same problem. New fresh install of ut 2004 and when trying to launch game got the runtime error. Had installed all the patches and the ece pack plus the mega pack everthing listed here as what you will need.
                              What i did was I went to another ut site to down load the 3369 patch and instead of saving it to my documents I chose run (instead of save) it installed the patch and the runtime error was gone. dont know if that copy was better or what happened but maybe just choose run instead of save when you load the patch and see if it helps.
                              Hope this helps!!

Comment

Working...
                              X