Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

SUSE Linux 10.2 Update/Mod problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUSE Linux 10.2 Update/Mod problems

I have SUSE 10.2 installed and run beautifully on my 64 bit AMD machine. The game runs great in single player and I get a better frame rate then on Windows XP so I know the drivers are working.

If I attempt to apply the patch, the loading screen will display for the usual amount of time and then disappear, but the game does not load.

I thought this was an issue with file permissions since the root user owns all the files in /urs/local/games/ut2004, so I changed the permission, but with the same result. I reinstalled and attempted to add a cursor mod (single file), this caused the same thing to happen.

My last idea was to install it in /home/[user_name]/ut2004, although not the preferable solution. This did not fix the problem, instead it had the same problem as before.

I got the patch from a third party website as well as trying the official downloads which appear to be for 2003. I don't think it is the files since the cursor mod that works on windows also causes it to not load.

I am a fairly competent Linux user and would be interested to know if there is anything that I can try to fix this problem.

What exact patch did you install?

Comment

I actually lost the location of where I downloaded it, since it was quite awhile ago. Could you post the location of where you got the patch or where I can find one.

The only thing that doesn't make sense is it isn't just the patch. If I try to mod any of the files. (like I can on windows)

Comment

Here is the newest patch.

http://www.beyondunreal.com/main/ut2...4essential.php

Install it then if it still doesn't work find the file ut2004.log and post the error it displays.

Comment

Sorry I have been out of town. So I re-installed and updated with the files from the link you posted. This time unreal never even launches the loading screen. I was running using the run command dialog and typing 'ut2004'. Next I went to the installation folder and ran the ut2004 shell script with the following output.

Code:
          ./ut2004-bin
          : 
          error while loading shared libraries
          : 
          ./libSDL-1.2.so.0
          : 
          wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
          I have been working on my own game that I am writing and got a similar error only with 32 at the end. I understand that it is having trouble loading a library and I believe the 32 and 64 to be the bit encoding.

Any suggestions/corrections?

Edit:
          I changed the ut-2004-bit executable back to the original. This time if i run the loading screen shows up for a second then I get the following.
          Code:
          Assertion failed: sizeof(*this)==GetClass()->GetPropertiesSize() [File:UnGame.cpp] [Line: 149]

History: 

Exiting due to error
          That would seem to imply that it didn't have the library encoding issue since it displayed the loading screen, but obviously I really don't know.

Comment

Are you running X64?

If so rename ucc-bin-linux-amd64 to ucc-bin and ut2004-bin-linux-amd64 to ut2004-bin and see what it does.

Also make sure the SDL library is installed in 32 and 64 bit flavors.

Comment

Thanks soo much. That fixed it. So it was simply a 32-64 bit problem. Well the only other question I have is how I can get the ctrl key to work in unreal. Is there something in SUSE that is consuming the key event?

Comment

Originally posted by boomba View Post
                Thanks soo much. That fixed it. So it was simply a 32-64 bit problem. Well the only other question I have is how I can get the ctrl key to work in unreal. Is there something in SUSE that is consuming the key event?
                The real cause of the problem is that Epics wrapper script does not detect what environment it is running in and assumes a 32-bit system. I have patched the script to execute the proper binary and if anyone wants this patch I could post it here.

Comment

That would be great.

Comment

how I can get the ctrl key to work in unreal. Is there something in SUSE that is consuming the key event?
                    Make sure SuSE is set to use the US English keyboard layout.

Comment

It is and ctrl works in other applications.

Yast->Hardware->Keyboard Layout
                      Code:
                      Type: Generic 104-key PC
                      Layout: U.S. English
                      Variant: basic

Comment

Um... Not sure then. Anytime someone had a issue they had the wrong keyboard profile setup.

Comment

Originally posted by NakedApe View Post
                          The real cause of the problem is that Epics wrapper script does not detect what environment it is running in and assumes a 32-bit system. I have patched the script to execute the proper binary and if anyone wants this patch I could post it here.
                          I replied

That would be great.
                          So just curious if you would be interested in posting your fix.

Comment

I replied
                            So just curious if you would be interested in posting your fix.
                            I forgot all about it.

I will dig it out of my archive and post it. I do not have an original script (CBA to dig it out of the installer) so I can't make a diff but anyone is free to do so (or PM me a clean original and I'll make it).

EDIT:
                            Code:
                            #!/bin/sh
                            #
                            # ut2004 startup script
                            #

# Function to find the real directory a program resides in.
                            # Feb. 17, 2000 - Sam Lantinga, Loki Entertainment Software
                            FindPath()
                            {
                                fullpath="`echo $1 | grep /`"
                                if [ "$fullpath" = "" ]; then
                                    oIFS="$IFS"
                                    IFS=:
                                    for path in $PATH
                                    do if [ -x "$path/$1" ]; then
                                           if [ "$path" = "" ]; then
                                               path="."
                                           fi
                                           fullpath="$path/$1"
                                           break
                                       fi
                                    done
                                    IFS="$oIFS"
                                fi
                                if [ "$fullpath" = "" ]; then
                                    fullpath="$1"
                                fi

# Is the sed/ls magic portable?
                                if [ -L "$fullpath" ]; then
                                    #fullpath="`ls -l "$fullpath" | awk '{print $11}'`"
                                    fullpath=`ls -l "$fullpath" |sed -e 's/.* -> //' |sed -e 's/\*//'`
                                fi
                                dirname $fullpath
                            }

# Set the home if not already set.
                            if [ "${UT2004_DATA_PATH}" = "" ]; then
                                UT2004_DATA_PATH="`FindPath $0`/System"
                            fi

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.:${UT2004_DATA_PATH}:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
                            export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

# Let's boogie!
                            if [ "x86_64" = $(uname -m) ]; then
                                    UT2004_BIN="ut2004-bin-linux-amd64"
                            else
                                    UT2004_BIN="ut2004-bin"
                            fi
                            if [ -x "${UT2004_DATA_PATH}/${UT2004_BIN}" ]
                            then
                                    cd "${UT2004_DATA_PATH}/"
                                    exec "./${UT2004_BIN}" $*
                            fi
                            echo "Couldn't run UT2004 (${UT2004_BIN}). Is UT2004_DATA_PATH set?"
                            exit 1

# end of ut2004 ...

Comment

That is just to run it? I already have that working. I thought you had a fix for the ctrl button not working due to unreal script not picking up 64 bit environment.

Comment

Working...
                              X