Packet loss only when gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Packet loss only when gaming

Well, this is a weird one. I pretty much only play UT2004 online, nothing else. However I've been getting a lot of packet loss in the upstream and more recently a bit on the downstream too. As usual I did a couple of tracers to the server IP's and to my surprise not a single lost packet. The loss is only while gaming.
    My ISP says they can't find any loss between them and me (doh). However I'm faced to play **** german or dutch servers (or UK ones if I'm lucky to find iCTF server without SafeCrap in it). I'm not even concerned with the ping itself. They are good considering the distance, even better than most ISP's here. What bugs me is the fact all action seems to be delayed like if I had 200 ping instead of 60-80, plus the obvious stuttering and hitting people and they don't die, etc.
    My browsing and downloading is as fast as my connection allows it. Only gamming sucks. I've done all my usual cleaning on the PC and it's very tuned with the apropriate drivers, firewall on or off (not the XP one), tuned services (only 13), etc.
    What setting, software or hardware may be creating this loss of packets in the game? My FPS are always 90+ in the maps I play. Heck, between me and my ISP it's all great. Could it be a routing issue outside my ISP? Then why doesn't it show doing the usual tracers?
    Changing settings in UT2004 is like doing nothing at all. This is very strange indeed and it's making me stop playing online at all.

Any ideas before I quit this game?

Originally posted by Abilio_KID
    Well, this is a weird one. I pretty much only play UT2004 online, nothing else. However I've been getting a lot of packet loss in the upstream and more recently a bit on the downstream too. As usual I did a couple of tracers to the server IP's and to my surprise not a single lost packet. The loss is only while gaming.
    My ISP says they can't find any loss between them and me (doh). However I'm faced to play **** german or dutch servers (or UK ones if I'm lucky to find iCTF server without SafeCrap in it). I'm not even concerned with the ping itself. They are good considering the distance, even better than most ISP's here. What bugs me is the fact all action seems to be delayed like if I had 200 ping instead of 60-80, plus the obvious stuttering and hitting people and they don't die, etc.
    My browsing and downloading is as fast as my connection allows it. Only gamming sucks. I've done all my usual cleaning on the PC and it's very tuned with the apropriate drivers, firewall on or off (not the XP one), tuned services (only 13), etc.
    What setting, software or hardware may be creating this loss of packets in the game? My FPS are always 90+ in the maps I play. Heck, between me and my ISP it's all great. Could it be a routing issue outside my ISP? Then why doesn't it show doing the usual tracers?
    Changing settings in UT2004 is like doing nothing at all. This is very strange indeed and it's making me stop playing online at all.

Any ideas before I quit this game?
    Did you use traceroute (tracert) to check what the source of the pl was? The vanilla traceroute is a poor tool for troublesooting packetloss. Try using WinMTR and run it for some five minutes or so.

Comment

Or even better, Ping Plotter.

Comment

Originally posted by MysTikal
        Or even better, Ping Plotter.
        Why would that be better?

Comment

Working...
        X