Need serious assistance w/ choppy game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need serious assistance w/ choppy game.

When we originally loaded ut2004, sam , and other games they seemed to play fairly well. Lately they have become so choppy that none of us can really play anything as a group. The games seem to run well for a while and then with out much warning the speakers begin to have an echo effect and the game gets extremely choppy. One friend requested us to increase the virtual memory in the game. If this worked, it didn't last long. Tried a few other simple ideas but nothing that lasts. If any one can make a suggestion please fire away. I'm sick of this hammering, choppy ****. It may be something simple, then again? :bulb:

Are you using a integrated sound chip on the motherboard?

Comment

if nothing on your computer has changed, it might be a heat issue. it is summertime. open your case and put a house fan on it, and see if you still have problems.

Comment

Perhaps you are one that experiences the stuttering lag? See my old thread here ->

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...d.php?t=473380

Same thing for me where no matter do to make an improvement, it doesnt last very long, although it does make an immediate difference.

One thing Ive done recently is I've bought two mousepads (a Supermat and a Razer eXactMat) and somehow when I switch between the two once I'm starting to lag really bad, the lag almost completely goes a away for a while. This def. makes me think its some kind of caching issue, because I can practically witness the stuttering slowly starting to occur. It also makes me wonder if it has anything to do with my fast keyboard movement combined with extreme high sens in mouse, combined with the hardware I have. But it definitely makes a difference when people arent stuttering/skipping around, because I can actually hit them where I see them. I'm glad I atleast found a temporary solution, even if its not a very practical one.

Spaz I use onboard sound as well, do you think that is an issue?

Comment

intergrated chip

Originally posted by Spaz007
          Are you using a integrated sound chip on the motherboard?
          Yes we are using a intergrated chip on the MB. Question. Wouldn't this problem occured at the onset if the chip were the culprit? I guess we could try turning the sound off or down just to see what kind of results there might be. Thanks for your suggestion.

Comment

Too hot PC.

Originally posted by thinkingfeller
            if nothing on your computer has changed, it might be a heat issue. it is summertime. open your case and put a house fan on it, and see if you still have problems.
            Thank you. this is a very good point. Question: how can I tell if my PC is geting too hot and causing this choppy game playing problem. It obviously not too hot for me. I have noticed that the choppy problem doesn't start out immediately. This would tend to support the hot PC theory. I guess I could add another fan for fun and see what happens. Thanks.

Comment

The reason I asked if you have a chip instead of a card is like what thinkfeller said... heat issues. Most of the time integrated sound is the first thing that bugs out when it starts to overheat.

Comment

Rumor has it vacuum cleaners can help heat issues too!

Comment

Or blowing compressed air into it. Get the latest freeware Everest Home Edition to check your temps without going into your BIOS. Just a little tip aswell, if you want to ask a question, put a "?" instead of a "." at the end of a sentence. Not being rude or anything.

Comment

Hot chip.

Originally posted by Spaz007
                    The reason I asked if you have a chip instead of a card is like what thinkfeller said... heat issues. Most of the time integrated sound is the first thing that bugs out when it starts to overheat.
                    I am beginning to see the light. I tried to explain this information to my colleague just last night. I think he is still some what doubful. He suggests trying to turn down the sound when playing. Personally I'd rather just add a fan or two. I researched the kind of AGP cards we currently have in our machines. I have found that the games we are playing call for something higher than what we have. The PC that acts as a server has a on board 64 AGP card. When I heard this I was convinced that this is also part of the problem. The work knucklehead also came to mind. I have read that on board AGP is not the best for obvious reasons. It doesn't have it's own memory. So, in addition to installing at least an additional fan in each I believe we need to upgrade these APG cards. Of course, I am open to additional suggestions. I have already had the suggestion of using wet news paper on my colleague. Thanks for your help so far.

Comment

Blowing air

Originally posted by MysTikal
                      Or blowing compressed air into it. Get the latest freeware Everest Home Edition to check your temps without going into your BIOS. Just a little tip aswell, if you want to ask a question, put a "?" instead of a "." at the end of a sentence. Not being rude or anything.
                      Thanks for pointing out about blowing air into it. Its been awhile since some of these machine has had a good cleaning. I will look for Everest Home Edition and install it on the acting server. Perhaps that will tell me something, I realize my punctuation skills need adjustment. Comes from getting to be an old fart I guess. Thank for pointing it out. Have a good day :up:

Comment

heat issues.

Originally posted by XMas
                        Rumor has it vacuum cleaners can help heat issues too!
                        I am afraid that my cat won't agree with you on this one. :bulb:

Comment

Is studdered.

Originally posted by S3Y3N
                          Perhaps you are one that experiences the stuttering lag? See my old thread here ->

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...d.php?t=473380

Same thing for me where no matter do to make an improvement, it doesnt last very long, although it does make an immediate difference.

One thing Ive done recently is I've bought two mousepads (a Supermat and a Razer eXactMat) and somehow when I switch between the two once I'm starting to lag really bad, the lag almost completely goes a away for a while. This def. makes me think its some kind of caching issue, because I can practically witness the stuttering slowly starting to occur. It also makes me wonder if it has anything to do with my fast keyboard movement combined with extreme high sens in mouse, combined with the hardware I have. But it definitely makes a difference when people arent stuttering/skipping around, because I can actually hit them where I see them. I'm glad I atleast found a temporary solution, even if its not a very practical one.

Spaz I use onboard sound as well, do you think that is an issue?
                          Sometimes its hard to tell if the "studdering lag " is me or the computer. If I ever work this out I could quite possibly become rich. I went to your link you provided. Personally I don't know if I could type that long anymore. A good deal of people have made many complaints about the UT2004 game. I am one of them. I have done a fair amount of programmming in my life. Simply put, this game was rushed out to the public. Even Windows 2000 needs four service packs. The game will always seem smarter than we are. If you play against the bots remember they have a built in GPS tracking system. If you doubt me just try and hid from them for any length of time. I hope some day they come out with games that are well thought out and run on a PC that you/ or I won't have to upgrade each time we want to play a new game. Have a good day.

Comment

Working...
                          X