Crappy Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crappy Performance

I just got a new computer, and I must say that I am recieving poor performance (e.g. too many people/NPCs in view, too large map, etc.) This mostly happens in Onslaught, Assault, and Invasion maps (with many creatures in view). I kept graphics on 800x600 with 32bit colour, and with default settings (including enabled trilinear filtering). These are my specs, which I beleive are VERY good:

Pentium-D (dual-core) 3.0Ghz
    Genuine Intel Motherboard
    2Ghz Kingston DDR2 (dual-core) RAM/553Mhz
    512mb ATI RADEON x550 PCI EXPRESS (double GPU)

I sometimes reach 60-80fps, but it usually stays around 20-30fps, which really interferes with enjoyable playing. So, why am I recieaving such performance on my system, as many people I know have worse computers and yet are able to run the game better? Do I need to unlock something in my computer to make it use both processor, RAM, or GPU cores (I WILL NOT overclock my system, as I am afriad of possible, permanent consequences) to my hardware)?

Thanks in advance!

Im pretty sure that the FPS is because the Dual X550. I suggest a 6600GT or a 7600GT/GS. Very cheap, and good performance.

Comment

Hold a sec, this is a 512mb card. Not to mention x550 isn't bad, and not that old. A 7800 will cost me a bit though.

Comment

Yes, but I dont even get very good FPS with a P4 3.2ghz and 6600GT. 512mb would help, but not much point if theres not many pipelines and stuff. I said 7600 aswell.

Comment

I would blame the processor, acting as a bottleneck. Notice that if you increase the resolution to 1024x768, you probably won't notice a drop in performance.. Pentium processors aren't too goo for gaming, and the Pentium D's are even worse, they tend to perform worse than the Pentium 4 clock speed equivelant, especially since UT2004 is heavily CPU dependant and isn't optimised for 2 processor cores.
          Try increasing the screen resolution and lowering the settings to normal/low, should give you a performance boost.

Comment

I have both high end pentium and amd and both bench about the same in UT2004 benchmarks.

If your really worried about frame rates in games then your best to buy very top of the line hardware/MB and CPU be it Pentuim or AMD, card Nvidia or Ati, memory, ect, ect.

I try not to say any one is better because as soon as I do then I am proven wrong so?

Anyway there is probably 100's of different settings that can be adjusted in your system from the bios to inside the game itself and that means time and trial and error and bench marks and asking for help in forums ect ect.

In a Ut2004 gametype like ONS or Assault with many pawns active playing online it is going to tax your system. Frame rates are capped in UT2004 online games at 85 or 90 and if your in a 10 or more player ONS server and can get 40-50 average FPS throughout that game then its not too bad.

I tell you 1 thing to try then your on your own. Open the UT2004.ini and in there find your rendering device and I would assume that since your using the ATI it be using OpenGl. Anyway in the [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice] set the UseVSync to =False. And if your using the [D3DDrv.D3DRenderdevice] then set the UseVSync=False but also set the UsehardwareVS=False too! Anywhere you see VS= Vertex Shader or VSync set it off or to False. You can also try setting your Display prop settings of your system/Graphics card to high performance or optimal or ??

I been playing Unreal since the start 1998 and been in this debate many times before! I do know that this game will perform well with medium
            and also even low end stuff but you need to sometimes make alot of adjustments in alot of areas. Unreal engine is good though for allowing you to make and try many different set ups so Good Luck!

Off the top I would agree with Mystical and say to get a Nvidia 7600GT Pci e GDDR3 256. That thing out of the box is 580 core and a HUGE 1500 Mhz mem clock. But you better make sure you have a true 450 watt power suppy for that too makes a huge diff and likewise on 6600GT and up pci e or agp! Bout 150 or even cheaper for that card 7600 and it is good.. That I am allmost sure would out perform the x550 double in a 3DMark bench test.

Good Luck..:up:

Should all be here in Pezman's link..
            http://www.tweakguides.com/UT2004_1.html

Comment

Originally posted by tomirlik
              Hold a sec, this is a 512mb card. Not to mention x550 isn't bad, and not that old. A 7800 will cost me a bit though.
              UT2004 barely uses 64 Mbs of video memory so that isn't the issue, and your graphics card is fine for the task, you should be getting much much better FPS than that. I for example have an A64 X2 4400+ with a Geforce 7900 GTX and a 2 Gb DDR400, and I get average 300 FPS using 1024 x 768 with every detail setting put on the highest possible.

Are your motherboard, video and audio drivers up to date?

Comment

My computer is only 3 days old now, and the only new driver I downloaded is the ATI Catalyst driver. I don't believe getting new motherboard and soundcard drivers are necissary at the moment.

Anyway, I am stumped at not getting good performance in ut2004, San andreas, the Sims, Doom 3, etc. Wtf, I expected my comp to do better (mind I left display settings in games on default).

Comment

Motherboard drivers are extremely important, because your PCI-Express bandwidth could be set to only 2x or 4x, which would explain the low performance. Updating drivers increases the bandwidth to 16x like it is supposed to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjossi
                    Motherboard drivers are extremely important, because your PCI-Express bandwidth could be set to only 2x or 4x, which would explain the low performance. Updating drivers increases the bandwidth to 16x like it is supposed to be.
                    I do belive x550s run on AGP or PCI. Not PCI-E. Motherboard drivers, as he suggested, could help aswell.

Comment

The CPU is the issue. Sorry thats its a new PC... Shouldn't have gone with Intel dual-cores.... Single Cores maybe.

Comment

I don't think it is the processor, I got better performance than he did with my old 2.8 Ghz P4...

Comment

Ok, I'll upgrade my motherboard drivers, and I'll see how performance changes than. BTW, my motherboard is Intel.

Comment

Yes, it has to be otherwise it wouldnt run it. Whats the actually motherboard called? :x

Comment

Also make sure that all ATI gfx are set to "performance" or whatever.

I have an OC'd X700 256Mb VRAM, with a Barton 3200XP, 1GB PC3200 DDR400 RAM, and playing the game with decent framerates. I really suggest that its your GFX card, as my processor clocks in at 2.2GHz, and that is more than enough to run the game.

cause_of_chaos

Also, the 512Mb VRAM doesn't mean ANYTHING - all it means is that you can use higher textures without sacrificing too much performance. My bro also plays this game, and he has an ATI 9800 pro with 128Mb VRAM

cause_of_chaos

Comment

Working...
                              X