Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hosting Problems (done a search already nothing helped)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hosting Problems (done a search already nothing helped)

Hi, i'm new to hosting and my problem is the same as everyone else who has posted fo this problem. i host my server and noone can join, i've tried everything that i could find by searching in the forum and nothing has worked so far. i have opened all needed ports, even used DMZ and turned the Firewall off on my router and nothing changes.

I use a Belkin 54g wireless router. and i am with tiscali 1mb broadband.

i can join other servers but people cannot join mine, i know this has been posted several times and i tried a search and looked through them all and tried them all but nothing has worked so far, so i've posted this thread as a last resort.

these are the ports that i have open: (i've tried them on a static address through using DMZ too and that hasn't worked either)

UT2k4 7777 7777 UDP 7777 7777 192.168.2.2
    UT2k4 7778 7778 UDP 7778 7778 192.168.2.2
    UT2k4 7787 7787 UDP 7787 7787 192.168.2.2
    UT2k4 28902 28902 TCP 28902 28902 192.168.2.2
    UT2k4 82 82 TCP/UDP 82 82 192.168.2.2

i've looked up my IP and it is different from 192.168.2.1 when i check the IP of the server when i post it dedicated it is the same ip that i'm told my IP is but it is like this ***.***.***.**:7777 (*'s are in place of my IP address)

my server always has N/A by the ping, unless i check it in the lan option, but the lan box isn't ticked under the configuration.

i've made the "isbehindNAT" thing True. and still nothing. all we get is the black screen of (not) connecting.

please if anyone has had the same problem as this and has fixed it please could you help?

Thanks for reading.

oh, i'm using mac address filtering aswell in my router options, does this affect anything? i can host on games like F.E.A.R. fine though.

Comment

All I did was this and all Unreal games work with the same settings on my router.

Open Ports: UDP 7777-8080 where 8080 is the games' webserver port.

If your running an Antivirus program make sure it's not blocking the game.

Comment

i've just tried what you have suggested and even put it into Norton's Firewall port forwarding and i'm still getting N/A and the black connecting screen

Comment

Originally posted by aHostofProblems
          i've just tried what you have suggested and even put it into Norton's Firewall port forwarding and i'm still getting N/A and the black connecting screen
          Are you trying to connect to your server via the Internet server browser? If so, don't do that. It won't work because your router doesn't process forwarding rules for traffic on internal interfaces. You will need to connect via the LAN browser.

Ask someone outside your router to connect to see if it is working.

Comment

thanks, i'll try that, i can tell that this process is going to take alot of trial and error but hopefully i'll get it working eventually. oh another thing i've been meaning to ask is, for Port forwarding should i set the address to 192.168.2.2 my computers dhcp or the static ip set for the dhcp from the DMZ: 88.111.52.62 which is the ip that people outside the local connection try to connect to? common sense tells me 88.111.52.62 but i just want to make sure ^^;

Comment

You set port forwarding to the IP address of the computer hosting the game. Also if your trying to see your own server you have to look at LAN games because internet games will show it with ping n/a unless your router supports NAT Loop back but this can slow some things down so I would only use it for testing purposes.

Comment

Thanks it's finally working now, for future referance for anyone else having this problem with a belkin this is what i did:

I went to Virtual servers and added the following to the address set to the DHCP address set to my PC eg. 192.168.2.6

also in the files UT2004.ini and Default.ini i changed the following:

[IpServer.UdpServerQuery]
                GameName=ut2

[IpDrv.MasterServerUplink]
                DoUplink=True
                UplinkToGamespy=True
                SendStats=True
                ServerBehindNAT=False

to

[IpServer.UdpServerQuery]
                GameName=ut2

[IpDrv.MasterServerUplink]
                DoUplink=True
                UplinkToGamespy=True
                SendStats=True
                ServerBehindNAT=True

and now i can finally host private sessions and tourneys with friends thanks guys for your help, i really appreciate it :heart:

Comment

Originally posted by aHostofProblems
                  first of all i set up a DMZ for my address to make a static address:
                  Just wanted to point out that the DMZ has nothing to do with your computers IP being static or not. Whether the IP is assigned dynamically (via DHCP) or statically is determined by configuring the interface in Windows (or Linux as it may be).
                  What DMZ does is route all incomming traffic to a specific address in your network. Not a good thing if you have multiple services on different machines.
                  Also it makes that computer vulnerable to attacks from the outside but this may be mitigated by a software firewall.
                  All in all I do not recommend using the DMZ function.

Comment

Originally posted by NakedApe
                    Are you trying to connect to your server via the Internet server browser? If so, don't do that. It won't work because your router doesn't process forwarding rules for traffic on internal interfaces. You will need to connect via the LAN browser.

Ask someone outside your router to connect to see if it is working.
                    For some reason, when I host a dedicated server, it doesn't show up in my LAN browser, so I can't join. It used to work, but now it only shows up in the internet browser, even if I check 'LAN server'.

Comment

Originally posted by i-m-a-user
                      For some reason, when I host a dedicated server, it doesn't show up in my LAN browser, so I can't join. It used to work, but now it only shows up in the internet browser, even if I check 'LAN server'.
                      Did you change the port the game uses? I believe the LAN browser only works with the default port.

Comment

I'll try that. It worked on my old router.

Comment

**Updated**

now it works everytime even after a re-install or format.

Comment

Working...
                          X