Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Ping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ping

wtf is with the ping latley, it's been sky rocketing over 1000 and whenever i finally get into a room with a ping of under 500, i get banned the second i spawn

it's at the point where i can't even play

Well, are you downloading? Where do you live? Whats your isp? Are you connecting to a local server? Whats your download speed? Dial-up doesnt work with UT2004 well.....if you have dial up.

Comment

dl speed: i've seen it go higher than a meg/sec
      isp: optimum online

it was fine between thursday(first post) and today, but all of a sudden, my ping is 650.

i have no dl's/ul's going on, no im's although i'm signed on(but that was never a problem), not running any scans, nothing else open

Comment

i know a guy with optimum online in NY that has a 8ms ping to my server near DC (thats from a tracert, not in game)

Do you have windows patched to the fullest? You could have a worm. it definitely sounds like something is using bandwidth when its not supposed to. Those pings are incredibly high, waaaay high.

If you have those two blinking monitors down by the time, they shouldn't be lighting up unless some program is using bandwidth.

If you don't have that then, control panel, network connections, right click the local area connection tab and hit "status". Those numbers should be practically still, when you aren't on the net, or downloading something. If its constantly increasing, then you have a program hogging bandwidth.

Hit escape mid game and look at your name, see if P/L (packet loss) is something other than zero. Is your player "warping" mid game? Getting jerked around?

Comment

Try virus scans/ adware / spyware scans. Check the server location your connecting to, and new modem/router drivers.
          Also, if youre connecting through wireless, make sure its a secure network! Many people leech off other peoples connections if its got no security or an easy security pass.

Comment

once again, it was fine all weeks until today

i've been doing spyware, ad-aware and virus scans daily, i've signed off all im services, closed all windows, shutdown limewire, but still had an extremely high ping that increased by 2 every second. wtf is going on!?

Comment

Did you do a tracert/ping to one of the servers you usually play on and ping to well???

If not and you happen to not know how to do it:

-Select "Run" from the Start menu
              -Enter "cmd" (without the quotes) into the text field
              - now in the console that opened enter the following:
              "tracert 123.456.789.0" (change the numbers to the IP of the server you usually play, you can get it from the Server Browser)

Post the results here if you don't know what that all means.

Comment

but i don't play on one single server, i play on multiple servers a day

Comment

Then just pick one where it occurs (any, I assume?).

ANyways, I am from Germany and will go to bed now. I cannot help you any further til tomorrow. But I think there are others that can help you before me, when you post the results.

That way we can figure out if it is your machine or maybe the ISP or whatever?

Comment

well, it lowered the ping below 100, not far below it, but lower than the point of lagging

what i still don't get is, how come all of a sudden, that was the only way. i mean it was fine and then out of nowhere the pings started sky rocketing. i mean my router was acting up a few weeks ago, but the ping was fine before during and after up until i posted this topic

Comment

Originally posted by Brysamo
                      well, it lowered the ping below 100, not far below it, but lower than the point of lagging

what i still don't get is, how come all of a sudden, that was the only way. i mean it was fine and then out of nowhere the pings started sky rocketing. i mean my router was acting up a few weeks ago, but the ping was fine before during and after up until i posted this topic
                      If you would post the traceroutes, we could help you with your questions. But it seems you don't want to do that but keep asking "How come? Why? What happened?"

Comment

ok but, um, wut r traceoutes?

Comment

Originally posted by Brysamo
                          ok but, um, wut r traceoutes?
                          YOu really do not like to read what other people post??????

I just wrote a few posts above:

If... ...you happen to not know how to do it:

-Select "Run" from the Start menu
                          -Enter "cmd" (without the quotes) into the text field
                          - now in the console that opened enter the following:
                          "tracert 123.456.789.0" (change the numbers to the IP of the server you usually play, you can get it from the Server Browser)

Comment

o, i did that, but what do u want me to post a pick of, the returned statement?

Comment

yep.

You can also copy/paste the text. You have to rightclick into the titlebar for that and select edit -> seƶect and edit -> copy

Comment

Working...
                              X