General protection fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General protection fault

My friend is having some trouble running UT2004 on his PC. He keeps getting a "general protection fault" whenever he starts the game up. Here's what the error dialogue says.

UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2004-03-03_02.42]

CPU: GenuineIntel Unknown processor @ 2796 MHz with 1535MB RAM
    Video: No Video

General protection fault!

History: UWindowsClient::UWindowsClient <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine
    Methinks this has something to do with his system...

no video...... :weird: Does he actually have a video card in that machine?

Comment

Sounds to me like either no video drivers are loaded or they are corrupt.

Comment

All other games runs perfectly on his system, don't know why he's having trouble with UT. Could there be any other possibilities? By the way, he has a 64mb Radeon in his machine.

edit: http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...hreadid=504155

So getting a "no video" isn't normal after all. I suppose this must have something to do with his vid driver.

Comment

Have him check to see if the other games that run ok are OpenGL or DirectX. By default, UT2004 uses DirectX on Windows machines. If all the other games are rendered in OGL, it is most likely not the drivers, but DirectX.

One quick way to check is to go to Start, then Run, and type in dxdiag.exe. Hit Okay and run the diagnostic.

Comment

I posted a very similar problem of my own above. Except it said I had no video after installing ECE, and now I can't open UT2004, any UT2004-related programs, and I can't even unistall the game!

Comment

Working...
            X