Hosting a game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hosting a game

How do you host a game so others can join it?

I want to play a game against my mate but i dont know how??

I have tried setting one up but how does my mate join it? He tried my IP but it wouldnt connect.

Thanks
    Jamie

on the main menu just go to the host tab and choose game type and then get all the settings you like - most are pretty self explanatory

also make sure you have advanced options ticked so you can refine your choices and add the mods you want

and then click on "listen" or "dedicated" at the bottom right

if your computer can handle it I recommend "dedicated" - then restart UT and go to the LAN tab and you should see your own server and be able to join it
    if not "listen" works fine and after the server starts your friend can join

your m8 can join it if you a) advertise it or b) by opening the console with the "~" key and then typing open XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

(x being the IP number)

this being said you both need valid cd keys

hope this help somewhat

Comment

yea, we tried that.

he couldnt connect for some reason?!

thanks
      J

Comment

two reason I can think of

you have a firewall (your porst are closed) or the cd key might be invalid

someone more knowledgable might be able to help you with that

good luck m8

Comment

well i do have a firewall - ZoneAlarm Pro
          i can play a normal online game with it on

thanks
          J

(I have a valid CD key)

Comment

BTW, what does "dedicated" and "listen" mean? And what's the difference?

Comment

Listen - you host the server at the same time as you are playing on it...
              Dedicated - what it sounds like that UT2004-"process" is dedicated to running the server, if you want to join it you have to start another UT2004-"process" and connect to the dedicated server

Comment

thanks

ive got it working and i am playing against him now!

thanks again
                Jamie

Comment

I've got a dynamic IP address. apart from the fact that I have to keep sending my new ip address to my friends every time we want to play again, does having a dynamic ip actually matter?

Comment

Originally posted by Nosnos
                    Listen - you host the server at the same time as you are playing on it...
                    Dedicated - what it sounds like that UT2004-"process" is dedicated to running the server, if you want to join it you have to start another UT2004-"process" and connect to the dedicated server
                    Note that listenservers are buggier and generally provide for loads of jitter as they don't run at constant FPS. If your PC can handle it, run a dedicated server and an UT2k4 client next to it.

Originally posted by Imp@l3dRound
                    I've got a dynamic IP address. apart from the fact that I have to keep sending my new ip address to my friends every time we want to play again, does having a dynamic ip actually matter?
                    No. In fact, with the buddies feature you don't even have to send your IP.

Comment

Working...
                    X