Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What unneeded files can be safley removed from dedicated server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What unneeded files can be safley removed from dedicated server?

I am renting a server and file storage space is limited. I am allowed 4 GB including game files, which after adding ECE and CBPs I am already out of room. Besides removing maps for game types I do not play, what other files are safe to remove? I see the intro_* and Scene3_* animations for the single player game, but is it safe to blow these away without causing my server to gack? Also my server uses no bots so am I safe not installing the CBP bonus skins and using only default skins? Can players on my server who use CBP2 skins still be seen with CBP2 skins by other players with CBP2 skins installed locally? Lastly, do I need to install the *.ogg music files that come with some maps onto the server? Obviously no ogg = no music in game, but will the map run? That would save me redirect space as well, sending down ogg files to players with Music turned off.

This is my first server and so far its been slightly aggrevating but also a weird kind of fun getting things exactly the way I want. So thanks in advance for your help!

Koop

Well, to be sure what you can and should not remove you can always install a dedicated server on your own machine ...

This is what I did to test a configuration. Sure, when connecting to it it is almost not playable because of laggs etc. but you get a picture if this is possible.

Also : Do you REALLY want ALL Maps from the CBP packs ? Because not all of them are nice and decent .. you can kick at least 50% of it .. Unless you know all of them anyway and you like them ...

Usually you cannot simply remove parts of the maps, such as textures and music..

When a server is starting up, it looks for all necessary files .. If the server cannot find the sound files for example, it may not load the map and / or even the server crashes ....

But a 3355 Dedicated Server with ECE 1.1, CBP 1 and 2 have 3.9 GB .. so maybe just sort out some Maps ..

Also : Do you play EVERY Gametype ?

For example, when you don't play ONS or DOM, you can simply disable the voting for these gametypes and remove the maps from the server ...

Comment

Originally posted by utw-Mephisto
      Well, to be sure what you can and should not remove you can always install a dedicated server on your own machine ...

-snip-

Usually you cannot simply remove parts of the maps, such as textures and music..

Thanks for the idea of installing a local test server! I already got burned by deleting a texture file to a map I did not install only to find it was needed by a different I did install, so to play it safe I am only deleting maps themslves but no utx or usx. I did get rid of the Music (not Sounds) and Help folders with no problem, but I will leave the animation files until I get desperate for space. I have already deleted most CTF and all BR and DOM maps and have it down to about 3.3 GB now, but looking at my local HD I have many more favorite maps to install than space....I see some hard choices ahead for my map collection :cry:

Comment

but only 4 GB ? Maybe you should chang the provider anyway ..

Or even better, rent a dedicated server ..

Example : AMD 3000+ with 1 GB RAM and 160 !! GB disk cost me around 25 $ (39 Euro in Germany) .. and a AMD 64 3000+ around 40-45$ (69 Euro)....

You can even run more than one UT Server on that ..

Comment

For example, when you don't play ONS or DOM, you can simply disable the voting for these gametypes and remove the maps from the server ...
          Watch out with that. I've run into some custom maps that needed packages from some of the stock maps.

Where do you rent that server from Mephisto? Those are some very low prices!

Comment

but only 4 GB ? Maybe you should chang the provider anyway ..

Or even better, rent a dedicated server ...
            You are the hammer that hit the nail on the head! This is my first time around running a server so I wanted a little hand holding to get going. Now that I see how it goes a dedicated server is the next step, though it is quite a bit more costly but no low storage limits, no players limts, and no silly rules like no bots and hopefully a more stable ping. Not to slam my host Art of War Central....I ordered at 1 AM Memorial Day (holiday) and they had my server up in three hours. I have put in a support request twice, recieved one reply in 3 minutes and the other reply in 30 minutes (to my question asked at 2 AM). That's pretty good service, and inexpensive too, but I see I am going to out grow it soon. Thanks for the ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by NotoriousBIC
              Where do you rent that server from Mephisto? Those are some very low prices!
              Yeah, Mephisto got me looking into it. Right now ~1.22USD/EUR, so a 39EUR server ~ 47.58USD. I don't see anything quite that low with a Gig of RAM....I do see a Celeron/256MB/40GB for $50/mo :haha: no thank you. I know I don't need a supercomputer to run a server but how much is overkill and how much is not enough? I see plenty of threads about people asking about good hosts, so I'll keep looking into it.

Comment

Working...
              X