This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Do the master server problems effect everyone? Because I'm having trouble getting any servers in my browser.

Thread

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DrSiN

Also, I do not ever publish or give out these ids until I have proof they are cheating. I don't agree with public black lists and I think they are bad for the community so sorry Wes.
    np. I asked because it was offered. Besides, I would use them just because I trust your judgement as well.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by frogger187
    thank you.
    It's nice to see how hard they are trying hard to curb all the cheating. :up: (I know they can't stop it all, but at least they are making it a PITA to keep doing it).

Still, I don't understand why DrSin and Wormbo don't just team up (share code and resources and ideas) and make ONE great security mut instead of trying to one-up eachother by making two seperate ones and forcing server admins to choose between them?

Either that or somehow make them compatible so admins don't have to worry that the latest version of Anti-TCC is better than UTsecure at the moment so they need to switch until - 4days later - a new version of UTsecure is released that is better than Anti-TCC and so back to it they go.

Bleh, maybe I just don't understand it? Wormbo has said Anti-TCC is "inspired by" utsecure and that it basically does the same thing + extra stuff... so I guess they are the same mut really... sortof... :bulb: :cry:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DrSiN
    There is a blocking problem with the master server that at seemingly random times causes the database access to slow to a crawl. When this happens, everone's access to the master server goes to hell.

Stat's will probably remain offline until we find the problem or 100% verify it's not stats (things have been better since we took it offline, but not much) We are working really hard to track it down, but random problems like this are hell.
    thank you.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Dr. SiN, sounds like hell.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    There is a blocking problem with the master server that at seemingly random times causes the database access to slow to a crawl. When this happens, everone's access to the master server goes to hell.

Stat's will probably remain offline until we find the problem or 100% verify it's not stats (things have been better since we took it offline, but not much) We are working really hard to track it down, but random problems like this are hell.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    First off, hughbackov tone it down.

Second, any admin is welcome to send me along the global id of someone he suspect is cheating on their server. When this happens I cross reference it with the master server's list of suspected cheaters and if there is a match, I use MY judgement as to the course of action. If I so choose, I can do nothing, have the master server probe the player more and set a priority and catch him online personally. Of course, the reputation of the admin is taken in to consideration.

What does not sway me are demos, screenshots, chat logs/etc and noone is banned without due proof collected by someone here at Epic (ie: me).

Also, I do not ever publish or give out these ids until I have proof they are cheating. I don't agree with public black lists and I think they are bad for the community so sorry Wes.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Tell you what, I'll just step out of the discussion. I don't really have time to compose petty arguments on a forum that might reflect poorly on any people or organizations I'm affiliated with and I don't want to disrespect the admins here.

I've expressed my personal opinion and accept that many people here can't understand what goes on outside their own little world.

DrSin, Wormbo, everyone else actually working on the game, I think you're doing great work. Keep it up.

Can't wait to see what the future holds for the game.

One last question (on topic):
    Haven't really heard an update on stats servers or any official information on what the [load] problem may be, exactly. Can we be enlightened? Does this have anything to do with the any of the master server/anti-cheat development going on?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Calm down all. I just asked a simple question. No need for all that reactions. Besides, please stay on topic.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Re: Re: Re: Make your own ban list.

Originally posted by hughbackov
    No, those GUID's are NOT coming from Dr. Sin. Read the thread again, moron.
    As they appear to be quoted in Wes' post, it would read as they are. Again - DrSin asked to keep the post on topic, maybe you missed this?

I won't be such a blatant *** as to call anyone I know a 'moron' as you do. Such behaviour is left to forum trolls and children.

Which makes "almost anyone" rather stupid and naive.
    I don't know who you hang out with, but I trust the judgement of these people. Several of the people in question that share these have been playing UT competitively/running their own servers since the days of Unreal. More than a few are OGL and PG admins.

First, "Screws you over"?! LOL! Please! These are people cheating at a video game, not stealing from you.
    Quite the contrary. Cheaters steal my fun and the fun of every other person. It looks like they're beginning to steal keys to boot. I have very little time to play games as it is, I don't want someone cheating and stealing the fun from the precious time I have. I think, if you ask, you'll find the majority of the people that play the game feel the same way.

Second, your attitude of ban first and ask questions later is incredibly irresponsible and grossly unfair.
    "Better safe than sorry". If someone feels their ban is unjustified, they can appeal it in the community.

Hopefully you will ban enough people from your server that you will only be able to play with yourself (which is something I am sure you are very familiar with.) Well if you all actually do ban based simply on someone else's word, then you all ARE idiots.
    How is the old saying? Opinions are like a..holes? Well, in this case, the opinionated one is shaping up to be the offending orafice.

Oh - one last thing - Thinking about what DrSin and the staff has in place, you've just called every server admin on the face of the planet an idiot. They're all relying on DrSin's personal judgement and opinion in the matter to determine who is banned at the master server and who is not. I guess, according to your comments, that is unjust and grossly unfair? Hmmm....are you a botter also?

I personally trust DrSin and his judgement. And I'm quite happy to see this thread and the information contained within. It shows me action is being taken.

Originally posted by Wormbo
    You don't know how some people run their servers.
    In this case, we do. Very, very close, very tightknit group of people in question with an abundance (years) of information and experience.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Re: Re: Make your own ban list.

Originally posted by -shifty-|MyU
    Edit: About your "only idiots using 2nd/3rd hand information"...Thanks for calling eveyone in LOB clan, Clan950, |C|, MyUnreal and countless other communities and clans idiots. We all appreciate your pompous, superior, holier-than-thou condescending attitude.
    You don't know how some people run their servers. I had more problems with admins not being able to properly install Anti TCC (or UTSecure) than with false positives and the like.

Bottom line: Only use the IDs others identified as cheaters as a reference. Some people have set each and every check to permanently ban the player, and TBH I'm **** glad about the bug with "permanent ban" not working in Anti TCC 1.12 Lite, because a lot of people don't even know clientside brightskins are cheating. (Nevertheless I'll fix that bug, of course.)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Re: Re: Make your own ban list.

Originally posted by -shifty-|MyU
    1) They're coming from DrSin,
    No, those GUID's are NOT coming from Dr. Sin. Read the thread again, moron.

2) I think most of the members on the MyUnreal servers (and the community) generally choose to make the servers better for everyone in the community and would rather err on the side of caution
    Erring on the side of caution would be NOT to ban without firsthand information (with "firsthand" obviously being if you personally didn't see the guy cheat, don't ban him.).

3) They're coming from DrSin
    Writing it twice doesn't make it less wrong. See my reply to #1, and learn to read. :P

Almost everyone in our adjacent communities is open to sharing ban lists to keep scoundrels and scum off the servers.
    Which makes "almost anyone" rather stupid and naive.

I think the assumption of "wait until someone screws you over before you ban them" is utter ****, myself.
    First, "Screws you over"?! LOL! Please! These are people cheating at a video game, not stealing from you. Second, your attitude of ban first and ask questions later is incredibly irresponsible and grossly unfair. Hopefully you will ban enough people from your server that you will only be able to play with yourself (which is something I am sure you are very familiar with.)

Thanks for calling eveyone in LOB clan, Clan950, |C|, MyUnreal and countless other communities and clans idiots. We all appreciate your pompous, superior, holier-than-thou condescending attitude.
    Well if you all actually do ban based simply on someone else's word, then you all ARE idiots.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Re: Make your own ban list.

Why not just admin your own server and ban cheats which you actually see firsthand instead of relying on suspect information which you have no way to verify as accurate?
    1) They're coming from DrSin, so I'd suspect Wes, the creator of MyUnreal, would probably rely on him as being a credible source.

2) I think most of the members on the MyUnreal servers (and the community) generally choose to make the servers better for everyone in the community and would rather err on the side of caution

3) They're coming from DrSin, so I'd suspect Wes, the creator of MyUnreal, would probably rely on him as being a credible source.

The majority of the hacks I've seen coming through MyU are speed hacks. They're generally banned on the spot. It's relatively hard to miss one like that. Almost everyone in our adjacent communities is open to sharing ban lists to keep scoundrels and scum off the servers.

I think the assumption of "wait until someone screws you over before you ban them" is utter ****, myself.

I'm just glad that DrSin and the rest of the dev staff have come up with (the first ever instance I've seen of) banning @ the master server. I think this is as close to genius as anyone else has gotten.

Edit: About your "only idiots using 2nd/3rd hand information"...Thanks for calling eveyone in LOB clan, Clan950, |C|, MyUnreal and countless other communities and clans idiots. We all appreciate your pompous, superior, holier-than-thou condescending attitude.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Make your own ban list.

Originally posted by Wes
    I would like to add the GUID you got into our servers. How can we get it? TIA.
    Why not just admin your own server and ban cheats which you actually see firsthand instead of relying on suspect information which you have no way to verify as accurate?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Epic is not that stupid.

Originally posted by dP^Dark_Wizard
    I'm still working on my Cheat Database and would love to add these as Epic Banned GUID'S...I will add a section for Epic to add these for all server admins to use...
    Epic is no doubt not stupid enough to want your list of cheaters. Keep your list to yourself. Only an idiot would ban by such secondhand and thirdhand information.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X