Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Linux dedicated server as root?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux dedicated server as root?

I'm using the newest Linux dedicated server for UT2003, but for some reason, I HAVE to run it as root or it won't work. It starts up fine if I run it as root, but if I run it as a normal user it comes up with:

ga@ga1 [~/ut2003/ut2003_dedicated/System]# ./ucc-bin server CTF-Chrome?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame.MutB igHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True -nohomedir ini=UT2003.ini userini=user.ini log=server.log
    Executing Class Engine.ServerCommandlet
    Unreal engine initialized
    (Karma): Beginning Karma for game.
    (Karma): Creating MeAssetDB.
    (Karma): Loading: Alien.ka
    (Karma): Loading: Bot.ka
    (Karma): Loading: Human.ka
    (Karma): Loading: intro.ka
    (Karma): Loading: jugg.ka
    (Karma): Finished Creating MeAssetDB (12 Assets).
    Browse: CTF-Chrome?Name=Player?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Gor ge?team=255?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame .MutBigHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True
    LoadMap: CTF-Chrome?Name=Player?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Gor ge?team=255?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame .MutBigHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True
    Bound to Fire.so
    Bound to XGame.so
    Missing Class Class Editor.TransBuffer
    Failed to load 'MenuSounds': Can't find file for package 'MenuSounds'
    Failed to load 'XGame': Can't find file for package 'MenuSounds'
    Failed to load 'CTF-Chrome': Can't find file for package 'MenuSounds'
    Failed to load 'Level None.MyLevel': Can't find file for package 'MenuSounds'
    Failed to enter CTF-Chrome?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame.MutB igHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True: Can't find file for package 'MenuSounds'
    Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
    Failed to enter CTF-Chrome?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame.MutB igHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True: Can't find file for package 'MenuSounds'

History:

Exiting due to error
    Exiting.
    Waiting for file streaming thread to finish...
    Name subsystem shut down
    ga@ga1 [~/ut2003/ut2003_dedicated/System]#

Anyone have any ideas on why its doing this?

don't use ucc-bin you need to use ucc in the install dir:

Code:
    [~/ut2003/ut2003_dedicated]# ./ucc server ...

Comment

And since 2225 doesn't include ucc, get the old (2199) release and copy the ucc from there.

Comment

I copied the ucc (script) from the 2199 install like you said and am using ./ucc but I'm still getting the same error messages:
        Code:
        ga2@ga1 [~/ut2003/ut2003_dedicated/System]# ./ucc server CTF-Chrome?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame.MutBigHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True-nohomedir ini=UT2003.ini userini=user.ini log=server.log
        Couldn't run ucc (ucc-bin). Is UT2003_DATA_PATH set?
        ga2@ga1 [~/ut2003/ut2003_dedicated/System]# cd ..
        ga2@ga1 [~/ut2003/ut2003_dedicated]# ./ucc server CTF-Chrome?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame.MutBigHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True-nohomedir ini=UT2003.ini userini=user.ini log=server.log
        Browse: CTF-Chrome?Name=Player?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Gorge?team=255?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame.MutBigHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True-nohomedir
        LoadMap: CTF-Chrome?Name=Player?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Gorge?team=255?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame.MutBigHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True-nohomedir
        Bound to Fire.so
        Bound to XGame.so
        Failed to load 'MenuSounds': Can't find file for package 'MenuSounds'
        Failed to load 'XGame': Can't find file for package 'MenuSounds'
        Failed to load 'CTF-Chrome': Can't find file for package 'MenuSounds'
        Failed to load 'Level None.MyLevel': Can't find file for package 'MenuSounds'
        Failed to enter CTF-Chrome?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame.MutBigHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True-nohomedir: Can't find file for package 'MenuSounds'
        Failed to enter CTF-Chrome?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame.MutBigHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True-nohomedir: Can't find file for package 'MenuSounds'

History: 

Exiting due to error
        Exiting.
        Name subsystem shut down
        ga2@ga1 [~/ut2003/ut2003_dedicated]#
        Any other ideas?

Comment

do you even have a file called 'MenuSounds.uax' (or whatever extention it has)

Comment

Yes,

/home/ga2/ut2003/ut2003_dedicated/Sounds/MenuSounds.uax

Comment

Originally posted by neufusion
              Yes,

/home/ga2/ut2003/ut2003_dedicated/Sounds/MenuSounds.uax
              And what are the permissions on the files it complains about?

Comment

-rw-r--r-- 1 ga2 ga2 4427 Jun 19 12:23 /home/ga2/ut2003/server/ut2003_dedicated/Sounds/MenuSounds.uax

Comment

-rw-r--r-- 1 ga2 ga2 4427 Jun 19 12:23 /home/ga2/ut2003/server/ut2003_dedicated/Sounds/MenuSounds.uax
                  Ok. I'm not entirely familiar with how the UT server loads stuff but when it is looking for a "package" isn't that an .int file?
                  Do you have a MenuSounds.int in your System directory?
                  Try commenting out the ServerPackage line that includes MenuSounds.

Comment

Alright I did that and now its coming up with:
                    Code:
                    ga@ga1 [~/ut2003/ut2003_dedicated]# ./ucc server CTF-Chrome?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame.MutBigHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True -nohomedir ini=UT2003.ini userini=user.ini log=server.log
                    Browse: CTF-Chrome?Name=Player?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Gorge?team=255?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame.MutBigHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True
                    LoadMap: CTF-Chrome?Name=Player?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Gorge?team=255?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame.MutBigHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True
                    Bound to Fire.so
                    Bound to XGame.so
                    Failed to load 'Jugg': Can't find file for package 'Jugg'
                    Failed to load 'XGame': Can't find file for package 'Jugg'
                    Failed to load 'CTF-Chrome': Can't find file for package 'Jugg'
                    Failed to load 'Level None.MyLevel': Can't find file for package 'Jugg'
                    Failed to enter CTF-Chrome?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame.MutBigHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True: Can't find file for package 'Jugg'
                    Failed to enter CTF-Chrome?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame.MutBigHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True: Can't find file for package 'Jugg'

History: 

Exiting due to error
                    Exiting.
                    Name subsystem shut down
                    Does no one else have this problem, maybe I've downloaded the wrong thing or something?
                    The box is a redhat 7.3 box + cpanel w/ a p4 2.4ghz 1gb ram if that helps.

Comment

And this all works when you run as root?

Are you using exactly the same options (-nohomedir, mainly) when you run it as root?

I'm not sure, but I think your UT2003.ini is messed up. Get a fresh copy and try again. Add whatever options you need one by one and find out if something breaks.

There is nothing in the 2225 server that requires root (unless you assign it stupid ports)... I run mine as a unprivileged user. Never had a problem.

Comment

I deleted my old dir and untar'd it again and copied the ucc over from that old (i think 2199) to my new dir and ran it in the new directory - didn't touch anything and it STILL came up with that damn menusounds problem when I didn't change anything. So now I deleted that tar and directory and am downloading it straight from atari, I had been using a mirror I found on yahoo somewhere. Maybe someone renamed it or messed it up some how. Hopefully this will fix it but it won't be done for 4 hrs cuz it only goes @ 20k/sec for some reason from atari Oh well I'll be out of town this weekend and when I get back hopefully it wil all work. Thank you all again for your help! I'll keep you posted when I get back and try it out.

Comment

it still doesn't work unless I run as root. Maybe my server has some weird restrictions on it (its using CPanel control panel software). Anyone familiar with this?

Comment

it still doesn't work unless I run as root. Maybe my server has some weird restrictions on it (its using CPanel control panel software). Anyone familiar with this?
                            What port do you assign the webadmin if used?
                            Which ports do you assign the game?

I remember trying to help some other guy here who had a similar problem on a newer RedHat... Maybe they've done something stupid. It wouldn't be the first time (nor the last, I guess).

Try strace(1) to get a better view of what it is doing when it bugs out.

Or change to Debian GNU/Linux, it just works...

Comment

I'm using the complete defaults - I don't think the WebAdmin is even enabled.

Comment

Working...
                              X