Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by tarkus
    If his web site uses a different ip than his ut server, you can't simply redirect the ip to the ut ip without losing the dns to his web site.
    But nothing stops you from redirecting a subdomain, e.g. web.example.org points to your web server but ut2k4.example.org points to your UT2k4 server. Of course this depends on what options your domain host offers but since the OP has been very vague about his specific circumstances...

Edit: stupid "auto-linkifier" :P

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If his web site uses a different ip than his ut server, you can't simply redirect the ip to the ut ip without losing the dns to his web site. In my case, my web host provides space for my web site and the game redirection url. My game server uses a completely different ip than my web host.

As for the dns issue you describe, ip addresses are propogated on thousands of dns servers throughout the internet. If the dns server fails, it would only affect a very small percentage of users specifically using that dns server, provided there is not a failover dns server in place.

Also, a mutator cannot perform web redirection. It is concievable that a mutator may be able to alter the game redirection url that contains the compressed maps, but not the web redirection to the server itself.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i don't understand your problem.
    just redirect your domain to ut ip.
    often you can do it via web provider or somethig like that.
    imo it's a bad idea because if dns is down, we can't join your server, except if we know the real ip

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Here is what I did....hope it helps.

I have a domain called tarkusbattlefield.net. I created a subdomain called ut2004.tarkusbattlefield.net that points to a folder called ut2004 on my web site. This was done using the Subdomain Manager utility supplied by my web host. I created a web page, index.html, that automatically redirects the user to ut2004://68.35.222.52:12377 in 5 seconds and placed it in the ut2004 folder of my web site.

Now, when the user enters ut2004.tarkusbattlefield.net in the URL field of their web browser, UT2004 automatically starts on their pc and joins my game server.

Below is the index.html file that I created to perform the redirection:

<html>
    <head>
    <title>ut2004.tarkusbattlefield.net</title>
    <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="5; URL=ut2004://68.35.222.52:12377">
    </head>
    <body text="#C0C0C0" bgcolor="#000000" link="#008000">
    <p align="center">
    <font face="Verdana">Automatically starting Unreal Tournament 2004 to join Tarkus Battlefield
    game server in 5 seconds.
    &nbsp;&nbsp; </font>
    </p>
    <p align="center"><font face="Verdana">
    If your browser doesn't automatically go there within a few seconds, click on the link below:</font></p>
    <p align="center"><font face="Verdana">
    <a href="ut2004://68.35.222.52:12377">ut2004://68.35.222.52:12377</a></font></p>
    </body>
    </html>

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by NakedApe
    How would a mutator be able to control DNS resolution?

How would I know, I didn't make the thing. I just remember seeing something similar (I don't remember for sure if it does exactly what he wants) a couple of years ago. Maybe it's not what he's looking for, but oh well....

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ]I[oceaN
    thats not what i aksed, like i alredy have a domain
    Well, asking without being specific tends not to get exact answers...

If you have a domain you have a service provider. Ask them how to point the domain to your IP and if they have a method to support dynamic updates if you're on a dynamic IP.

Originally posted by i_doit3d
    There's a mutator that will do it. I don't remember the name. Do the GooGle.....
    How would a mutator be able to control DNS resolution?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    There's a mutator that will do it. I don't remember the name. Do the GooGle.....

Leave a comment:

• replied
    thats not what i aksed, like i alredy have a domain

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Look into dynamic DNS services like DynDNS or No-IP.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Forwarding a domain to a server

Forwarding a domain to a server

How can I do this?

For example;

ut2004://server.clan.com
    or
    ut2004://server.clan.com:7777

forwards to
    ut2004://82.94.228.147:7777

How can I do this?
Working...