Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should I get to make a well server for games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should I get to make a well server for games?

What specs should I have inorder to make a 64 player server for Battlefield 2 and UTK4 then change it for UTK2007. Also I have someone who will provide me a TRUE T1 line.

Moving to the admin forums where you might actually get some useful information.

Comment

64p for UT2004 is impossible. 32 players is max and then you have to buy the cream of the crop on server hardware (opteron 250, A-class ram, at least 1 gig, 2 is better). WHen the server is full, cpu load is around 60/70%, depending on how well the map is optimised.

A T1 line wont cut it, we did max 12.5mb/sec last februrary (thats redirect and the 32player onslaught server) which have only gone up now since we addded another server (and four more on the way)

http://ut2004.titaninternet.co.uk/graphs/bandwidth.pdf

Comment

Well what do you think about this setup i just worked out?

AMD Athalon64 3500 939pin
        2 gigs of Corsair XMS
        2 74gig 10,000rpm hard drive

Then next month or so I will get another 2 gigs so what do you think?

Comment

No need in having 4GB of RAM. It won't be recognized unless you are running a 64bit OS or Win 2k3 Server Edition.

What you have will run decent, except for 32 player ONS, AS in UT2004. You'll need a better processor for that. I recommend a dual Opteron 250 setup as -]Fusi√łN[- suggested, which is the smallest thing I run for game servers.

As for BF2, you are fine, but the bandwidth requirements are higher than EA/Dice states. For 64 players be prepaired for up to 8Mbit just for that server alone.

You're gonna need at least a solid 10Mbit connection for things to run smoothly for you.

Comment

well i was thinking about getting the 64bit XP pro edition so do you think I will be able to support both UTK2004 and 2007 and Battlefield 2.

Comment

No, there is no support at this time. The executables are for Linux & Windows 32bit only.

It would be best though if you ask your BF2 questions in a BF2 server administration forum & not here though, for this is a UT forum.

Comment

Mind you that UT2004 doesnt support Dual Core processors (no matter if you use a single or dual opteron on one install, you'll get the same result).

Now what you CAN do is get a dual opteron and run both UT2004 and BF2 on the same server. (iirc, Cain has a dual Opteron 252 and runs 32p onslaught and 28p ctf on the same server) Dont know if it can handle 32p onslaught and 64p BF2, but thats something you should find out by trial and error.

Comment

well thank you but I need to know where exactly are the Battlefield 2 forum page. Also can I just use Windows 2000 and what OS supports 4 gigs of memory.

Comment

my 2 cents...

A 32 player server, very ambitious. Instead of running your own server why don't you rent a game server, avoid high costs of computer equipment and bandwidth. You may also want to consider a 12 or 14 player server, they are a lot cheaper than 32 or 64 player servers.

Comment

well I prefer to make a 32 and 64 {B2} players and I want to try something new and gain experience from it and I have the money so I decided to make my own servers.

Comment

CL just fired up a 64p BF2 demo server, and it seems:

You are correct. It pulls as much bandwidth as all other games combined.

LS would not mind me running at night and weekends, probably.

Regarding CPU much less than UT does per player.

64 players BF2 = about 24 player UT CTF.
                        So with a dual opteron 250 you could run a 32p ONS and 64p BF2 server no problem. Just be sure to use optimised maps for ONS (rip ours ) and be prepared to have lots of traffic (300 gig for ONS, including redirect. Dont know how much BF2 is pulling, but its more). One terrabyte per month should be enough.

Comment

*choke*

More than all the others combined?!

Comment

At least its less power hungry.

Btw, you should see it in a different light. CL almost doesnt have any custom maps unlike us, and therefore less bandwidth. If BF2 uses lets say 200 gig a month, it would "only" be half of ours, but the same ammount of all other CL games.

Comment

Working...
                            X