Bad bad key (loaded with spyware)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad bad key (loaded with spyware)

A friend of mine is renting two servers in Seattle.
    On one he has two ports for Counter Strike Source, and the other one he has two ports open for the Battlefield 2 demo.

He tried to install UT2004s server software yesterday on it, and of course you need the key.
    We thought the key was only for if you wanted to advertise the server on UTs master server, but I guess not.

I came here being a member and read the threads that the link is down, and has been for awhile.
    Well he did some Googling and found a site that he thought was legit and downloaded a file that said it would install the key.
    I do not have the URL to this site at the time.

He is pretty PC savvy, but this site was so well written he fell for the trap.
    He runs this server via XPs Remote Desktop since the server is also running XP.
    After installing what he thought was a legit key, he could see pop ups popping up everywhere on the servers desktop and in the browser.

They got him good.
    He was able to do a System Restore back one day, and this solved the problem, yet for some reason the 900 MB UT server software was still there, and not axed.

So he might give it one more shot.
    Him and his girl friend each own a copy of UT2004.
    He does not play it anymore, as he is not into it.
    Can he use the key from his copy of the game, or does the server software take an entirely different key?

Thanks, Corey

The server requires a different key as the client.

If you have two copies of UT, you should only install each key one time.

If you want to run a server, you need a server key.
    Unfortunately the website of Epic is down AGAIN, which makes it quite difficult to generate a new key (free of charge).

However, according to Epic you can use SERVERkeys more than one time. BUT : I could give you a serverkey, but I am using Linux and the approach on Windows is different as the key must be in the registry I assume.

You can Try however to create a file called CDKey and put this key in there and leave it in the Systemfolder.

When this is what you mean I can send you a key, just let me know. And again, I send you a serverkey, NOT for the game

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      I think when he tried to execute the server, a box pops up asking you to input the key like you would for any other game.

If you can PM me the key, that would be great, and we will see if this works.

Also do you know if setting up a dedicated server this way you can edit the options from a webpage like you do when you host a game on your own PC?
      Or do you have to edit the ini file to change all the options?

I set my PC up as a dedicated one just to test the admin page from Internet Explorer, and it works pretty cool for changing all the options and adding maps ect.

Thanks, Corey

Comment

First, it DOES NOT ask you for a key when starting a server.

A server will be started on command line basis without a GUI.
        When starting a server without a key it simply does not show up on the master server but you won't be asked to put in a key, ONLY on a client game.

To setup a server refer to http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55

Key is on its way

Comment

Thank you very much, I appreciate it.
          I will see if he can figure this out.
          Corey

Comment

Originally posted by utw-Mephisto
            The server requires a different key as the client.
            Actually, each client CD key may be used to run one client and an unlimited number of servers at the same time.
            It's just that dedicated server CD keys can't be used for the UT2004 client for obvious reasons.

Comment

OK, now he is a bit stumped.
              I was also wrong earlier about a box popping up when he tried to execute the server.
              A command line stated I think that he needed the key.

He is stumped about the key.
              Does he create a file with Notepad and copy and paste in the code, and then name the file?

This is new to him and I.
              He can set up BF2 and CSS with no problem.

We also used this ini generator site:
              http://www.unrealadmin.org/modules.p...or&func=ut2004

Do not see an area to input a passwood when you enable web admin.
              We want to set this up to so I can control the server from Internet Explorer.
              The only password area we saw was for making a private game.

UT seems to be one hard game to set up with a server.

Comment

Originally posted by Wormbo
                Actually, each client CD key may be used to run one client and an unlimited number of servers at the same time.
                It's just that dedicated server CD keys can't be used for the UT2004 client for obvious reasons.
                Did not know that

Comment

If it's a windows server, all your friend needs to do is get the key into the registry.

Comment

We still can not figure out how to input the darn cd key.
                    Instructions in the link above on how to set up a server state that the info gets mailed to you with the key, but since Epics site is down, we have not info on how to do this.

Anyone know how or where to enter the info?
                    I am about to give up and just rent a server from UT from their rent a server link, and I will get it preloaded with all the software I need.

Comment

to create a cdkey easily do this.
                      create a enw text document and in it put
                      Code:
                      Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unreal Technology\Installed Apps\UT2004]
                      "CDKey"="xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx"
                      make sure to keep the - in

rename this txt document to server.reg
                      and execute it on the server

Comment

Thanks, that sounds pretty easy.
                        Creating the text to reg file and then executing it will update the reg file on the server.

Hopefully we can get this ironed out this week.

Also wish there was an easier way to config all the stuff like mutators, voice chat, ect without having to edit ini files.

I really like the ease of using IE to access the web admin account setup on home network server setups.

Comment

Originally posted by CoreyT

Also wish there was an easier way to config all the stuff like mutators, voice chat, ect without having to edit ini files.

I really like the ease of using IE to access the web admin account setup on home network server setups.
                          Editing files is part of being a Server Admin. If it was so easy, then everyone would be doing it and this forum would not be needed. Wait until you start looking into your log files trying to figure out something crazy on your server. Then you will be happy this forum exists.

A little bit of practice and you should be up and running in no time just the way you want.

Comment

Maybe Windows user gonna have it easier in UT like in BF 2 in UT2007

make the settings and hit start :

But with Linux it is again .. a different story

Comment

I am not sure if the UT2004 stand alone server software has a "user friendly" interface like I would like, but the full version of the game when you run it in "dedicated" mode where you are only hosting and not playing does have a windows interface.

Here is a screenshot of it running on my desktop.
                              Kind of like the BF2 thing I guess.

If indeed the stand alone server software supports this and puts the little UT icon down by the system clock, then we could set it all up via Remote Desktop.

Comment

Working...
                              X