From UT to 2k4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From UT to 2k4

Hello all. Having spent a good few years playing the original, I've finally decided to try my hand at 2k4 after being hooked up to the net again. I had (foolishly) expected to apply my mad UT skillz and begin the ownage immediatly, but after a few days of play, I'm feeling somewhat humbled

If I may, I'd like to make a few enquires about the unfamiliar aspects of the game.

Firstly, I was wondering if someone could explain the major differences between the sniper rifle and the lightning gun. As far as I can tell, the lightning bolt travels slower than a sniper round and head shots seem less frequent (possibly due to the speed difference), but I'd like to hear an informed opinion on this matter.

Secondly, the Link Gun's alt fire seems to have many uses, but how often are these exploited in team games? Is it worth making an effort to 'link up' to increase the power of other members link guns, or is this too impractical for teams that don't practice together?

Thank you in advance,
    Leokaiser

to your first point, it doesn't make logic sense : electricity slower than a bullet :haha:. both are same except the "child bots" from the lightning gun wich do each 30 damage.

second :
    the link is very more efficient when you link up, but the linker is the vulnerable, so it's so-so.

Comment

Lightning gun does 70 dmg to the sniper rifle's 60. It is also a hitscan weapon, i.e. when you hit the fire button, it checks whether you will hit the opponent instantly (well, a 1 frame pause, but that's simply because EVERYTHING has a 1-frame pause), and if so, instantly hits them with the damage.

the sniper rifle is a projectile weapon, so over large distances, you must lead your target. however, its projectile is so fast that generally its merely a theoretical difference, as most hits with the LG will hit with the sniper as well.

also, after firing the sniper, a puff of smoke is elft, which obscures your vision for a bit unless you move around it, and it takes longer to switch between the sniepr rifle and other weps and vice versa.

Comment

i'm pretty sure that in 2k4 the sniper rifle is hitscan as well. which would make it very hard to get used after the fast firing, slow moving UT99 rifle.

it is very worthwhile to link up in onsluaght games to repair and construct nodes and vehicles.

Comment

Always link when you can in ONS. Beit single file, or branching off in a tree-like pattern, you can build/heal things much faster. Also, if you see a teammate attacking an enemy node with the link gun primary LINK HIM! That node will be toast in a matter of seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by toniglandyl
            to your first point, it doesn't make logic sense : electricity slower than a bullet :haha:. both are same except the "child bots" from the lightning gun wich do each 30 damage.
            Heh, that was more of an observation, rather than a logical conclusion, but judging from what 1 of 42 said, I probably made that observation due to my bad aim

Hadn't really played ONS much, but had a few blasts last night and must agree on your points about the Link Gun, but moving "single file, or branching off in a tree-like pattern" sounds like something only a group of well versed players would do. Either way, definatly won't ignore that tactic.

Thanks for all the tips guys, happy fraggin' to you all.

Comment

Re: From UT to 2k4

Originally posted by Leokaiser
              Hello all. Having spent a good few years playing the original, I've finally decided to try my hand at 2k4 after being hooked up to the net again. I had (foolishly) expected to apply my mad UT skillz and begin the ownage immediatly, but after a few days of play, I'm feeling somewhat humbled

If I may, I'd like to make a few enquires about the unfamiliar aspects of the game.

Firstly, I was wondering if someone could explain the major differences between the sniper rifle and the lightning gun. As far as I can tell, the lightning bolt travels slower than a sniper round and head shots seem less frequent (possibly due to the speed difference), but I'd like to hear an informed opinion on this matter.

Secondly, the Link Gun's alt fire seems to have many uses, but how often are these exploited in team games? Is it worth making an effort to 'link up' to increase the power of other members link guns, or is this too impractical for teams that don't practice together?

Thank you in advance,
              Leokaiser
              Here are some tips:
              learn how to time armor/double damage
              learn how to dodge correctly
              in the general chat section, go to the faq by alpha and also search for lotus's tips on improvement

hope that helps

Comment

Working...
              X