Voice chat, is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voice chat, is it worth it?

New to UT2004 but saw the option of voice chat. I don't have a mic etc. Got soundblaster card but is it worth it. IE: Do many players use this and is it any good?
    Just need a few technical tips, help, if anyone has some advice would be appreciated.

dont use voice chat. EVER.
    unless you play on cain's ons, turn it off. seriously
    (on cain's, some use tactics via vOIP)

Comment

Lots of people use it, yes.
      However, lots of people are also morons about it.

I think you can live without it.

Comment

@ NiTrOcALyPsE,:up:
        I very rarely use it on a public server because of the above but when I am with clan buddys we use it all the time, when used properly for tactics etc it is great.

Comment

i love voice chat but i am a noob who spams a lot so. . .

for fun, yes. for serious gaming and concentration, no.

Comment

Can't stand it. It does nothing that teamsay doesn't do.

It's just abused by morons who love the sound on their own voice ranting racists comments or singing stupid songs

I switched it off within a week.

Comment

Originally posted by gogobongopop
              Can't stand it. It does nothing that teamsay doesn't do.

It's just abused by morons who love the sound on their own voice ranting racists comments or singing stupid songs

I switched it off within a week.
              Much like what my experience has been with it too. It's basically a PITA to hear a couple of numbskulls going on about ***** in the middle of a game that has nothing to do with the game. :down: :down: :down: I leave it off.

However, in a clan match it might be useful.

Comment

i use it simply cause i can type and talk at the same time so rather than having to stand still i can talk :up:

however, my friend set me up with a VOICE to TExt program and somehow made it work for unreal (don't ask me, hes more than a wizz kid), so i can talk, but it comes up with text (which (sum) people pay attention to )

Comment

Originally posted by MrScruff
                  i use it simply cause i can type and talk at the same time so rather than having to stand still i can talk :up:

however, my friend set me up with a VOICE to TExt program and somehow made it work for unreal (don't ask me, hes more than a wizz kid), so i can talk, but it comes up with text (which (sum) people pay attention to )
                  UT2K4 already has V-to-T built in, doesn't it?

Comment

It has the support, but it needs a seperate downloaded program for Windows... :bulb:

Once you install and set that program up, you can V-to-T just as much as you want to in 2K4!

Comment

You also have the morons who just turn on music and leave that playing in the backgroung acting like Aholes. It just gets everyone mad and ruins the game. When playing with friends voice is cool but general servers kind of useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Aztec Sacrifice
                        UT2K4 already has V-to-T built in, doesn't it?
                        I think the Windows version does and I know the Mac version does not. Mac players can do VoIP and text to speech but that is it. Something about with the way voice to text was done on PCs made it impossible to port, AFAIK. I have no idea about the Linux version.

Anyway, I like using VoIP with clan mates in ONS.

Comment

Originally posted by wickedsteve
                          I think the Windows version does and I know the Mac version does not. Mac players can do VoIP and text to speech but that is it. Something about with the way voice to text was done on PCs made it impossible to port, AFAIK. I have no idea about the Linux version.

Anyway, I like using VoIP with clan mates in ONS.
                          I thought so except for the Mac part, I didn't know about the porting issue.

But yeah, give people a poteniially cool option and leave to a few assclowns to screw it up.

Comment

only use when in clan matches....little kids get really supid on mics

but ya i like to use one

Comment

If you're just going to play in random public servers casually, there's no reason to get a microphone.

If you become a regular at a certain server, it might be handy to chat w/ your other ingame friends as you play.

If you plan on clanning, it's a necessity.

If you're going to be a nuisance in ONS demo servers, it's a necessity too. You might want to go falsetto as well.

~S

Comment

Working...
                              X