• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Ugly_Rose
    256 kbps or 384 kbps are too slow for internet gaming
    You're kidding surely.

Even 64 kbps is plenty of upload bandwidth for UT2004 in my experience.. I was playing it on a cheap 150 down/64 up cable connection for ages with low pings (<30 to UK servers). Upgrading to 750/128 and it's no better, which shows the extra bandwidth isn't being used by the game.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by SJAndrew
    The one thing that does suck about cable is its pathetic upload bandwidth. I can only serve a 6 person UT server with my tiny 256Mbit upstream. DSL tends to be better for upload speeds.
    256Mbit upstream???? :haha:

You have good points throughout :up: but in general, the server speeds does not improve that much, I mean we can all agree on that 1.5 mbps --> 3-4 mbps is a doubling or slightly more. 375-500 KiB/s instead of 187,5 KiB/s and in lahines25's case this comes at a loss of at least 512 kbps in upload speed.

I don't see this as a bargain, though if you don't use upload that much e.g. you never host servers you might want to go for the cable connection. The drop of bandwith during peak hours need not be THAT big by the way. It depends on you neighbourhood as SJAndrew said.

The stability issue, DSL versus Cable, doesn't at all depend on the standards themselves. It's simply a matter of quality of the services given by your ISP and the physical enviroment like phone lines for example. If your phone lines are underground like cable that's not an issue. I've had DSL for almost six years now and only had downtime twice. Once during a power failure and once due to ISP-side service on the connection.

I have no personal experience from cable connection so I can not give you any advice on that. You have to rely on SJAndrew, Sloth and others with cable.

My 2 cents (or "├Âren" as my country's money is called) is that you make a small list of what applications you think you'll use the connection with, and then decide which of the available alternatives best suits your needs.

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have Comcast at home (3000/256) and Qwest at work (512/256).

The DSL we have at work sucks. The speed is what it is: you get what you pay for.

But, Qwest's service stinks and it goes down a lot more than Comcast.

With Cable, you're sharing your connection with your neighbors. If your neighborhood is oversold (not too uncommon), you will see a drop in bandwidth and a spike in ping during peak use hours.

This tends not to be an issue with DSL (its speed is not distributed that way).

In my situation, I much prefer cable. It's been a LOT more reliable and significantly faster than DSL.

The point about 1.5 MB versus 3.0 MB is only partially true. It's very true that a LOT of downloading will be capped so that an infinite download speed won't help you per se. However, my cable was recently upgraded (at no cost) from 1.5 to 3.0 and I have noticed a doubling of DL speed from almost every server I use (redirect servers, file sites [not p2p], and other places).

At 3.0 Mbit, I downloaded the UT dedicated server 2X faster than 1.5 MBit. So, it's not always useless overhead.

The one thing that does suck about cable is its pathetic upload bandwidth. I can only serve a 6 person UT server with my tiny 256Mbit upstream. DSL tends to be better for upload speeds.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Ugly_Rose
    You should keep to your DSL with 1.5 mbit up/down because both 256 kbps or 384 kbps are too slow for internet gaming, and even worse for file sharing with friends or p2p.
    hmm... i have comcast 3.0/256 and ping to many servers at <30ms

but having said that the upload IS just as important as down... as long as the connection is stable i'd agree w/everything you say. the up speeds he states are good enough to even host a server...

as long as it's not sprint (they have absolutely the worst backbone - and i say this from experience) it is kinda hit or miss by area for either cable or dsl depending on how crowded nodes are etc. check out http://www.dslreports.com for more information on local isp's

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You should keep to your DSL with 1.5 mbit up/down because both 256 kbps or 384 kbps are too slow for internet gaming, and even worse for file sharing with friends or p2p.

The extra download speed is at the moment not worth it. Most of the internet servers you visit when you surf, download files etc. have speed limiters that prevent you from using the full capability of your connection.

Servers owned by Microsoft and other in particular big companies or sites often allow you to download at full rate though. One example for you as a gamer is FileFront where at least I make full use of my internet connection. I have ADSL at 8 mbit down and 0.8 mbit up, upgrading today to 24 mbit down and 1 mbit up because my ISP takes the same pay for both, not because the speed is an issue.

About the frame rate drop on some servers. It's totally natural and is not ACTUAL frame rate drop which is something caused by your own computer, it's rather due to lag. Lag is packet drop (or loss) between your computer and the server and can arise mostly if the net you or the server are on is highly trafficed. Traffic is: bandwidth-stealing downloads or uploads, clients/users/players connected to the server, geografical location (if you are far away from the server geografically more packets are lost).

By the way, packets are information, which is sent between you and the server all the time in a Internet game.

So the frame rate drop is caused because the server can't send or recieve information fast enough to/from your computer.

To avoid this you should always connect to the server with the lowest Ping. The Ping number is a measure, in milli seconds, of how fast you can contact (send packages to) the server at the moment.

Hope it I'll help, cheers from Stockholm / Marcus

PS. God bless all the people who are currently helping out at the catastrophy zone in South-East Asia. Please send money to support them!

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Cable or DSL?

Cable or DSL?

I was wondering opinions on cable versus DSL for the internet connection. The utility companies that I must use offer the following:

Cable (by Comcast): 3.0 Mbps download, 256Kbps upload (or they offer 4.0 Mbps download, 384 Kbps upload for an extra $10/month)

DSL (by Qwest): 1.5 Mbps download, 896 Kbps upload (they also offer slower speeds of 256/256 Kbps, but I didn't bother).

Currently I have DSL, and am wondering if cable will be any better?

Also, I don't truthfully know which is better... having more upload speed or download speed. I figured that since there is so much going on besides the actions that I am undergoing, that download speed is more critical.

Can someone please shed some light on this subject and offer any opinions? Also, can a lousy server that you join online adversly affect frame rates? Sometimes I get a large drop online when that particular board played fine with lots of bots, and I was thinking that a better internet connection may help a bit??

Thanks much, and Happy New Year.

L2H5
Working...
X