Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what's out there like the original Unreal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what's out there like the original Unreal?

I made a mistake buying UT2k4....someone told me you can play single mode, but it's not what I was expecting....I shall explain:

I LOVE the "1 man against an alien world" concept of the original Unreal game....there is something transcendental about that game....the slow, brooding atmospheric music , the dazzling worlds and graphics...it's totally immersing as you SLOWLY discover your alien, awesome surroundings and get to battle monsters too boot.... You start with a purpose at point A...(escaping the planet), and have to discover how to work your way thru the levels to get to point B, etc.....It's just you and the aliens....no agitating heavy metal soundtrack, no 'kill your fellow human' brainlessness of UT and other shooter types, no utter chaos of 10 or so goofballs running around trying to kill each other. ...so, now that you know what I like, what out there will make me happy? I tried Unreal 2 , and it didn't have the same magical , mysterious qualities of Unreal 1 (having forced dialogue scenes between levels just sucks, imo...too contrived)....anyhows, I'm all ears here, gimme some suggestions

Doom 3 and Half-Life 2.

Comment

I played Red Faction and "kill your fellow human" was not so mindless to me, your mileage may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by NiTrOcALyPsE
        Doom 3 and Half-Life 2.

oh boy am I behind the times....as u probably can tell, i'm not a hard core gamer, had no idea there was a DOOM 3 lol....I'll have to check that out, I remember the first DOOM being just what I like ....hope a Athlon @ 1.8 Mhz and 512 megs memory is enuff to play it...

Comment

If you have a GF4 or greater then you should be able to play Doom3 then

I played it at lowest settings on my old computer at 1ghz AMD, 768mb ram and GF4, even at such **** detail it was still really enjoyable.

Comment

You could always try playing the Invasion gameplay that came with UT2k4. It isn't quite like U1 but, you get to face off with the monsters from U1 in increasing difficulty and number. And the humans are on your team. Think of it as Co-op U1. It's alot of fun. Give it a chance.

-Cat

Comment

Originally posted by Cataclysm
              You could always try playing the Invasion gameplay that came with UT2k4. It isn't quite like U1 but, you get to face off with the monsters from U1 in increasing difficulty and number. And the humans are on your team. Think of it as Co-op U1. It's alot of fun. Give it a chance.

-Cat
              i was just about to say that

you can also try RPG Invasion too.

Comment

Ok , question then.....It doesn't appear I can get to 'invasion' gameplay right off the back....my options are, Tutorials and Qualifications as far as what I'm able to do single playerwise after I made my character......do I take it that I have to go thru these 'qualification steps' before I can select the invasion game mode?

Comment

Originally posted by klusterphuck
                  Ok , question then.....It doesn't appear I can get to 'invasion' gameplay right off the back....my options are, Tutorials and Qualifications as far as what I'm able to do single playerwise after I made my character......do I take it that I have to go thru these 'qualification steps' before I can select the invasion game mode?

Invasion doesn't happen in single player. Try instant action instead.

Comment

Play it online,

It's alot more fun there and plus, there are more people which make it feel like a co-op single player. It's alot of fun especially when you play with friends and are screaming and laughing at eachother over TeamSpeak/Ventrilo/Voice Chat. Great times I've had doing that, tho, my DM fragging skills drop a bit after playing too much INV.

-Cat

Comment

there's a reaosn why it's entitled unreal TOURNAMENT 2004. :bulb: :noob:

anyways, there's a lot of great mods in the mod section of this messageboard. and a few of them are single player oriented. damnation and hollow moon come to mind immediatiely, but there's a lot more than that.

Comment

play invasion

Comment

Originally posted by chimbaktu
                          there's a reaosn why it's entitled unreal TOURNAMENT 2004. :bulb: :noob:

anyways, there's a lot of great mods in the mod section of this messageboard. and a few of them are single player oriented. damnation and hollow moon come to mind immediatiely, but there's a lot more than that.
                          Yeah, Damnation is an awesome single player mod and Eden Eclipse and Neosaka are two other single player mods definately worth checking out.

Comment

Unreal 2 was a good play!

Comment

Originally posted by ||| || | || |||
                              Unreal 2 was a good play!
                              I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Comment

Working...
                              X