Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by NakedApe
    I surely read that as you saying that lockdown was connected to hitscan. You could have expressed yourself better but no harm done and no hard feelings, right?
    No hard feelings

Admittedly I could have expressed it better, and just for further clarification, I meant that they can have lockdown, but they don't. Well, most of them. They did have it back in UT99, when lots of times I would die just I was jumping over a hurdle of some sort and got stuck in somebody's minigun fire.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TheRealPlayer
    Slight clarification on minigun....

Minigun secondary is NOT hitscan. It shares roughly the same travel properties as the MG turret, which is also not hitscan.

Nope... minigun secondary is DEFINITELY hitscan. I just extracted the classes for it and read them. Minigun alternative fire simply extends the code for the primary fire, changing a few variables. Namely the damage, windup speed, bullet spread, and "rotations" (the gun's speed is defined off barrel rotations p/second). The entire gun is hitscan.

What you may be experiencing is the delay variable (I forget the name... just closed it now :-X) set to 0.25 in minigun secondary. Basically, once you start shooting there's an extra quarter-second delay before it starts hitting things. Once it does, though, it keeps hitting constantly like the primary fire.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by NiTrOcALyPsE
    I know what hitscan is. I know which weapons have hitscan. There's no need to tell me that.
    That wasn't really directed at you, just at the thread/disucssion in general.

I never said that one was definitive of the inclusion of the other.
    Hitscan weapons also have no lockdown
    I surely read that as you saying that lockdown was connected to hitscan. You could have expressed yourself better but no harm done and no hard feelings, right?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ummm...minigun is hitscan. but it may not appear so sometime because it takes about 1/2 of a second for the turrent to make a complete rotation and start firing.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Slight clarification on minigun....

Minigun secondary is NOT hitscan. It shares roughly the same travel properties as the MG turret, which is also not hitscan.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I know what hitscan is. I know which weapons have hitscan. There's no need to tell me that.

I meant that they're related in the sense that hitscan weapons (With some exceptions) have had lockdown removed due to unrealistic physics and general gameplay problems. I never said that one was definitive of the inclusion of the other.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hitscan weapons do not have lockdown, with the exception of link secondary because it only shoots maybe 20 feet, and minigun turrets for some unknown reason. I find it fully understandle why the minigun does not have lockdown, it makes no sense when it comes to physics, and it's very easy to hit somebody with it. Being hit by a projectile such as a rocket, on the other hand, is very different.
    Lockdown is not related to whether a weapon is hitscan or not. Pushback is not related to whether a weapon is hitscan or not.

Hitscan is a method the server uses to determine if weaponfire hit a player or not. What happens when you hit is determined by the weapon in question, not how the hit was determined.

Shieldgun primary, assault rifle primary, shock primary, link secondary, minigun primary and secondary, lightning gun, sniper and ion painter are hitscan, the others are not.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hitscan weapons do not have lockdown, with the exception of link secondary because it only shoots maybe 20 feet, and minigun turrets for some unknown reason. I find it fully understandle why the minigun does not have lockdown, it makes no sense when it comes to physics, and it's very easy to hit somebody with it. Being hit by a projectile such as a rocket, on the other hand, is very different.
    Those are quite high caliber rounds that pack a punch when they hit you. Ever seen footage of something / someone being shot by a 20mm round ? (for example) They don't just get a hole in them but are pushed away from the weapon firing the rounds by the force of the impact.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by NakedApe
    Lockdown has nothing to do with hitscan. Linkgun secondary is hitscan and has lockdown. The momentum cancellation (which isn't really lockdown) also happens in certain situations (lifts for example) with projectile weapons like rockets and flak.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Lert
    I think that the game engine just keeps a circle on a target and randomises where the minigun's hit-scan bullets hit in that circle, then crossreferences that with the hitbox of the dood being shot at and applies damage accordingly. The circle would widen when you fire at longer ranges.

But I'm not sure.
    I believe that this has been discussed before (about the mini-gun's accuracy). The primary fire of the mini-gun is rapid, but not as accurate as the secodary fire of the mini (which is slower, but accurate). So if you are firing at someting at close range, use the primary fire (since the target is closer and appears bigger, slight deviations from the target's center is acceptable and will still result in a hit). If you are firing at something that is further away, use the secondary fire (the firing rate will be slower, but the shots will always land at the center of the crosshairs). As for the bullet traces, just think of them as tracer rounds that are fired every so often.

PL

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hitscan weapons also have no lockdown. Lockdown is when you get shot while in mid-air, and you lose all momentum. Basically, it cuts off your jump.
    Lockdown has nothing to do with hitscan. Linkgun secondary is hitscan and has lockdown. The momentum cancellation (which isn't really lockdown) also happens in certain situations (lifts for example) with projectile weapons like rockets and flak.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by wickedsteve
    Thanks Sundae and NiTrOcALyPsE for replies. The mini gun bullets always misled me. I thought they actually meant there was a projectile was some measure of speed instead of instantly covering the distance to targets. Does the game engine scan exactly where the bullets go, since they seem to have a bit of spread? It seem like it does, like the bullets spraying out are accurate representations of the hitscan.
    I think that the game engine just keeps a circle on a target and randomises where the minigun's hit-scan bullets hit in that circle, then crossreferences that with the hitbox of the dood being shot at and applies damage accordingly. The circle would widen when you fire at longer ranges.

But I'm not sure.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Also, the lit up bullets that you see shooting out of the minigun and moving towards the target at high speeds mean nothing. They're only for decoration and to give the effect that bullets are actually coming out.
    Thanks Sundae and NiTrOcALyPsE for replies. The mini gun bullets always misled me. I thought they actually meant there was a projectile was some measure of speed instead of instantly covering the distance to targets. Does the game engine scan exactly where the bullets go, since they seem to have a bit of spread? It seem like it does, like the bullets spraying out are accurate representations of the hitscan.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Also, the lit up bullets that you see shooting out of the minigun and moving towards the target at high speeds mean nothing. They're only for decoration and to give the effect that bullets are actually coming out.

Hitscan weapons also have no lockdown. Lockdown is when you get shot while in mid-air, and you lose all momentum. Basically, it cuts off your jump.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ok - there are two types of weapons in the game.

Projectile, and hit-scan. (Put it 2 words, 1 word, who cares? People will know what you mean.)

Projectile weapons spawn an object that travels through the level and causes damage if it hits the person. Biorifle, Flak Cannon, Rocket Launcher, Shock Core, Sniper-Rifle, Grenade, AVRIL, etc.

Hit scan weapons are instantaneous aim-checks (well... instantaneous as of the server getting the packet from you saying you shot. You still need to account for lag somewhat). These aim-checks determine if you actually had a hit on your target with the weapon, and do damage accordingly. These include shock-rifle, lightning gun, minigun, primary assault-rifle fire. Effectively sniper rifle. Edit: Link-gun 2ndary?

You'll note the bold text on sniper rifle. I have been told by some players that the sniper rifle actually has a projectile that is moving at a ridiculous speed ingame, but that it's still a projectile. I haven't a clue... w/ the exception of Deck17 I seldom play maps that have it, so I can't vouch. If it DOES have one, it's still just about a hitscan due to the speed, so oh well.

To sum it up:

Hit-scan = The server "scans" to see if your shot hit the target instantly. No projectile.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X