Buncha noob questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Make sure you have the shield gun readily available. So when you jump too high (elevator boosts...) you can use the shield gun to reduce your fall damage.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Stats

Yes, I checked all the obvious things. My stats WERE tracked very briefly. For awhile I couldn't bring the servers up thru UT so I had to use GameSpy. Since then I have uninstalled it. It would not let me use the name I was using in UT.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    well, a lot of servers don't log stats. also, are you sure you have utstats enabled in your profile?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Props

Hey I want to appreciate all of you who responded to this thread. Hopefully you realize I did do my homework - I googled every night and there was so much **** to sift through it was hard to get to the meaningful material, so I kept giving up and then playing more. I am better now, but I still can't find my stats on the unreal stats site. I have looked up my name but there are 3 other players with the same name I use but I'm not one of them because I have logged way more time than those 3. I still haven't been able to get an answer on this in another thread I started other than "look up yer name ya moron"... Haha Seriously thanks all you fraggers....

Leave a comment:

• replied
    must mention that again.. what lotus said (much) is very interesting

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Re: Buncha noob questions

I don't know if you got your answere or not but here goes...

Originally posted by NapalmDrop
    Glad there's a forum like this so I don't have to post these questions elsewhere, but man I am getting fragged alot... haha Okay, granted I am out of touch, playing UT2003, but I need some help. First off, I am way too slow. Does it matter which skin I use and where are the stats for them? Some are obviously faster than others.
    Something I've notice, speed can be an illusion. If a person changes up his moves a lot, and very fast(fast reflexes) this is seen as moving fast. For ex if a person goes foward, then strafes left, then wall jumps right doging shots blah blah blah, he looks like he's moving faster then the other people who are running in a strait line. Try working on getting fast reflexes. Also dodge jump like there's no tomorow. Not just left and right but foward and backwards too. Also one thing we used to do in UT99 where we had way cool foward flips when you dodge foward so that we could run and dodge foward(flip) without any pauses in motion we would run foward, strafe left or right, then dodge foward(in 2k3/2k4 dodge jump foward). This allows you to run foward and then dodge jump foward without any pauses.

Also, I have playing alot of servers where I can't jump more than about 4 times, but the other players are flying around way over my head -- how do they do this without cheating somehow? I have tried to figure it but can't. Also, I am terrible at dodging, so I get fragged. I mean I try to jump and then dodge or whatever, but I can't get away.
    Sounds like speed to me. When you get 100 adrinalen(sp) press foward four times real fast to get speed. I may be wrong but I think thats it.

You pros have fun with me, but how do you move that fast and dodge that good? There's got to be an explanation for part of this at least. Plus this is with a vartiety of players so I know it's not just that room.

Any help will be appreciated!
    Try practicing with hard bots(nothing lower then masterful), work your way up to godlike bots. This won't help you much with tactics because people are smarter then bots but it will help you with your movement.

RD

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ahhh... I saw someone do something very similar to what you're talking in about in Face Classic. I couldn't figure out how he did it. Thanks for the tip, I'm gonna give that a try. Never even thought about it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    oic sundae. ya, in TDM it wouldn't be that usefull except to get armor in certain levels, and to reach some really neat spots. but in CTF, i've found shield jumps to be an invaluable tool. for example: playing on face classic makes it quite hard to capture a flag unless you have good support fomr your team (doesn't happen to often on public servers) due to the easy sniping. but if you use berserk, plus the shield gun, plus armor, then you can make it across the entire level in 2 jumps. it's unbelievable.

goo jumps are...weird to say the least. if executed properly with good shield gun timing, then you can get just as much height as a shield jump but you take less than half the damage. but it's a tedious technique and probably requires way too much effor for competitive DM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I am not at home right now so I can't try it but doesn't F4 or another F key switch the view back and forth between first person and third person? Or is this only for vehicles and turrets?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    using matrix model helps because it is harder to see with the game settings. So if you are playing on regular servers where people don't force characters and use utcomp, I recommend you use matrix model.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    In the console ~ type "behindview 1" to go to 3rd person, "behindview 0" to go back to 1st person. They might be reversed... I can't remember. But it's those commands.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    One more question...

New player to the unreal world.

Total play time is about an hour.

How do I switch to 3rd person? I see this on movies, yet I can't find
    the key(s) to do it. I didn't see it in the manual.

UT2004

Leave a comment:

• replied
    In terms of shield-jumps, I play TDM and ONS primarily and with the exception of a few places for getting armor in TDM, I've not found them to be particularly useful in the end. TDM you usually are better off with more life than the extra speed, and ONS you've got vehicles and maps too big to get anywhere with shield jumping anyway. CTF is a completely different story - I hear they're quite useful there, I just don't play CTF. If you have an interest in shield-jumping and mastering that, I'd suggest finding good CTF players and asking them for advice with it. They'd be able to give more info than I can.

Goo jumping, in my experience, does a lot of damage in comparison to what benefit it gives you, and in TDM it's suicidal to be doing it, in my opinion. (Off the top of my head, I can't think of an ONS map that has the biorifle, either.) I just don't think it's a useful thing for getting better at the game, and hence didn't really cover it.

~S

Leave a comment:

• replied
    thanks sundae. but why did you shy away from shield jumps and goo jumps? and good jumps work really well if you get used to them (they are a pain in the **** when first trying though).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Text from the post:

UT2004 movement:

UT2004 has actually "nerfed" the movement somewhat from its predecessors, but there's still moderately complicated movement remaining in the game.

The basics:

Double Jump:

Hit jump, and then before you reach the top of your jump, hit it again. The previous posts claiming the bots can go higher than you is just plain wrong. If you get it right, you can go just as high as they do. It's just a matter of timing, learning how to do it correctly, and learning the (somewhat different) air-control of the game. Air-control primarily makes an appearance in more advanced moves, but is still useful for maneuvering to places on a double jump. For example, that shield in idoma that can be gotten to from below, as mentioned above. A double-jump gets you there from the ledge below. A shield-jump, properly timed crouch-dodge-jump, or goo jump (not covered in this post b/c it's downright stupid) will get you there from across in the middle section.

Make sure you can double jump because many of the more advanced use require good timing with it.

---

Dodging

Another basic move. Double-tap in a direction you would be walking, and your character will make a little leap in that direction. Nothing fancy, useful when you figure out the timing of the enemy's weapons and can help you avoid spam.

Make sure you can do this. It's quite important for more advanced moves.

---

DODGE JUMPING

This is the biggy. A lot of those moves you see bots do that you think are impossible are based off of this move. This is the closest you will get to the bunny hop in UT2004, so learn how to use it well. It's the fastest way around the level, and in tandem with slope-slides is a HUGE advantage in terms of speed. When you master the air-control in the game (TFCers should pick up on this very quickly. It's easier than the TFC air-accel.) you can fire yourself in just about any direction you want, curve around pillars / walls, and (a personal favorite b/c it screws with close-combat opponents) leap around enemy players in a circle and end up right back where you started if you choose, or anywhere in between. (Watch them spin firing randomly looking for you. *of course, this doesn't apply to high-level players - they'll just frag you*)

Do a dodge to the left or the right (you can do forward or back too, but in combo with air-control, they're not really worth the extra time it takes to stop yourself and double-click W, for example, when you can do it straight out of D or A without stopping moving forward).

Ok - now BEFORE YOU HIT THE GROUND off that dodge, hit jump. It'll turn your dodge into a dodge + double-jump. If you time it right, it'll send you about 3x further than a normal dodge would.

In order to control it better, grab a map and start running around. Just dodge-jump EVERYWHERE. Do it on any map you like playing, until you get used to doing it consistantly and never mess up. This is the most important movement method in the game just because of its ability to be used in every single level, in almost any circumstance, be it map-control in TDM or running a flag in CTF. Or dodging out of the way of a Manta or Cicada in ONS too. (Note: If you don't know what a Cicada is, download the Epic ECE Bonus Pack. It adds new vehicles to Onslaught.)

In UT2004, crouching pulls your feet up if you're in the air, rather than your body down. Learn to use this in conjunction with a dodge-jump and you can get up ledges that are slightly too high otherwise.

---

RAMP-SLIDE

No... it's not like the one you're used to.

Occasionally in levels you'll see things just randomly placed at slopes. For example, in DM-Rankin there are the occasional boards that seem to just be placed as decorations. These are NOT decorative. Dodge or Dodge-jump into one (this will take practice to get the distances / angles down right) and you will slide up the "ramp" and can land yourself on the higher level above it. (Notice that these are always coincidently placed where there's another level above you. That's b/c this is a standard movement technique now.)

---

Slope-slide

Slope-slide is effectively the same thing as the above mentioned ramp-slide. The only difference is that in maps like DM-Antalus where there is terrain instead of architecture, you can use this to get around the level faster. (This applies to all terrain maps with semi-steep terrain - not just antalus, and not just DM.)

Dodge-jump into the slope at an angle so that you'd still be moving forward. Without losing much of your speed, you will slidge partially up the slope and can maneuver yourself along it for an *ok* distance. Not far, but it'll cut a second or two off of your commute if you do it right. Because all power-ups in UT2004 are on constant timers (based on when they were last picked up), SECONDS MATTER. It can be the difference between your opponent having the +100 or you. Or for that matter, the redeemer or double damage.

This takes a good bit of practice to get used to doing on a regular basis and really isn't all THAT important if you have good teamwork and/or other skills to compensate for speed, so don't focus too much on it until you've mastered other basics first.

---

Wall-jump

Try this one for fun: Go stand next to a wall, (in contact) and double-jump up. Now, while you're still in the air and in contact with wall, dodge to the side (away from wall). Your character will kick off the wall and go in the direction you wanted to head. This is a tough one to get used to doing (it doesn't really feel natural at first, and often you find you weren't actually in contact with the wall... and plus when you're fighting someone you sorta don't think about it), but this is a really good way to throw off someone's aim if they're a hitscan *****. (LG, Shock Rifle, Minigun, Sniper Rifle, Assault Rifle - these are all server-side hitscan. Yes... that means you have to lead people a little if you're lagging. No client-side hitscan here.)

This is a useful move. Not a VERY VERY useful move, but useful. Know how to do it, use it if you think of it, but otherwise it's probably better to rely on aim, your shield, and speed. Oh - and also just don't let yourself get in a position where you have no choice but to do that.

---

Elevator Jump

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

This is incredibly useful in some levels (DM-Grendelkeep, go from Shock Rifle canal up to, and land on, the lightning gun); in other levels it sucks. Just gotta learn from experience when to use it.

Any momentum applied to you in UT2004 stays with you until an alternative force acts on you (eg... gravity, wall, or giant ball of goo). Even to the point where it becomes ridiculous and against physics.

Step on an elevator. Before you make it to the top of the elevator (takes timing - just work on it), jump. You will take your jump's momentum, and add to it the momentum of the elevator shoving you up. In the case of DM-Grendelkeep you can fly a good 80-100 feet into the air (game terms) and even hit the ceiling if you go too high. From here, use your aim control (and for good measure, double jump so you stay up there even higher!) and fly yourself wherever it is you can land within reach of you.

As for the USE AT OWN RISK: You are now a clay pigeon. Anyone with a halfway decent sense of the game's physics can shoot you while you're a predictable projectile. If they do it with a rocket, you will probably see your name in an AVI sometime soon. Often this move is useful... other times you're insane to try it.

Examples of use: DM-1v1-Albatross: This is how you reach the double-damage. DM-Grendelkeep - SR to LG. CTF-Orbital: Double-Damage, RPG, Shield via elevjump.
    ---

That's probably enough to get ya started and get where you can outrun those pesky bots and match their movement tricks.

Oh - just to mention, since I didn't have it in the article: Those flips, somersaults, etc, that you see them do: They just do them. Your character does it too if it's built into the animations. They're not special tricks.

GL! Got any questions / want any help learning the game, PM me at Atari Forums or find me at my clan's server.

~[FDG]Sundae

Again, take my comments on when / if they're useful as what they are - just comments. I was still fairly inexperienced, strategy-wise at least, when I wrote that article back a few months ago. The movement methods work, though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X