Hosting games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hosting games

I'm trying to host a game, but im running into a problem doing it. It might be working perfectly and im not im not aware but I just want to be sure.

When I set up the match, the game shuts down and a single diolouge screen pops up listing strings of commands. After a while, the command lines stop and it looks like i need to input something. Does anyone know if this is normal or what to do.

Thanks.

That is the normal process when you choose to host a Dedicated Server. The box comes up to show you whats going on in the server. After it does, simply re-open UT2004 and click Join Game and look in your LAN tab.

Comment

Thanks. Ill try that now.

Comment

Umm... instead of opening 2 copies of UT2k4, why not just run a 'listen' server? That way you can serve the game AND play the game without having to open UT2k4 again. Just click on the 'listen' tab when you are hosting a game.

PL

Comment

1) Listen servers do not allow the host to participate in voice chat.
          2) Listen servers work great for the host but lag the clients more than a dedicated.
          3) when the host leaves the game the server dies with him.

Comment

Originally posted by mdhutson
            2) Listen servers work great for the host but lag the clients more than a dedicated.
            LAN servers require that other players have a direct network connection to the host to join. He'll get absolutely zero traffic while runnign on LAN, so listen server is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by mdhutson
              1) BooHoO :cry: lol

2) Advantage : ME :up:

3) :haha: The ultimate act of spite when things arent going your way :up: :haha: :up:

Comment

Even if it is stricly a LAN operation, a Listen server still runs slower for everyone else. The host will load up and start playing before it even lets the other people in the map. Every time. In case you didnt know why that happens, its because the Listen server is coded to serve all the function directly with the host, then turn around and serve them to others.

Comment

I understand, but a LAN server has no chance of generating any traffic, a listen server does have some chance, regardless of how slow or fast it may be.

Comment

Working...
                  X