To frag, or not to frag? An ONS parable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To frag, or not to frag? An ONS parable

Since my dinner was in the microzapper for too long and it's burned my mouth twice, I'm going to write up a short guide while I wait for it to cool off.

Onslaught - Your team must take control over PowerNodes in a 'connect the dots' fasion to establish a direct line to the enemy PowerCore. Once you establish a link to the next PowerNode, you can destroy it if controlled by the enemy. Control the PowerNode for your team by touching it to start the build process (Use the linkgun alt-fire to speed things up). Once your team has a link to the enemy PowerCore, attack and destroy it.

That there's the object of the game. How many people out there actually realize this?

That point, though, is another story for another time. In To frag or not to frag?, I present you with 3 examples:

ONS-Torlan
    After taking the corner farthest from the action, you hop in your manta and start heading towards the enemy's base node. As you pass through the valley towards the enemy base, you spot a enemy teamate healing up his badly damaged Manta.

Do you:

a) Blow up the Manta to **** him off and then leave him there
    b) Blow up the Manta and then squash him
    c) Squash him and then leave the Manta

Correct Answer: C

ONS-Torlan is a fairly small map. I can get across the map on foot in very little time. Vehicles, however, are integral to a comeback (duh) - and if the enemy team wants a chance at making one, they're going to need every Hellbender, Manta, and Goliath the can get their little grubby paws on. By fragging the dork that didn't get himself far enough away from the battle, you've successfully denied the enemy team a Manta, perhaps their last one.

In this case, fragging someone was good.

ONS-RedPlanet
    The enemy has access to your base node (and vice-versa) by way of the middle node. As you approach in your Hellbender, you notice any enemy teamate grab the damage amp and then start healing his Raptor. At that exact moment, the enemy base node goes down and the middle node is safe... for now.

Do you:

a) Blow up the Raptor and leave the idiot
    b) Blow up the Raptor and then the idiot
    c) Blow up the idiot and leave the Raptor

Correct answer: D

Trick question, I know. Hopefully you had the sense to attach some grenades to your Hellbender. Roll up behind the node structure and jump in the Raptor before the idiot knows what's going on. Fly low and fast away from there. Now Mr. Idiot is stuck out there with his pants down, his base under attack, and no ride back home... but what's this? A Hellbender? Meh, it'll have to do.

You killed some dumb fool

In this case, fragging someone was bad. If you killed him outright, you'd have sent him back to his base, where a Leviathan is most likely waiting. If you stole his Raptor and then tried to blast him, you're wasting valuable time and man power that your team requires to win the match. Trading your sabatoged Hellbender for his Raptor and then taking off in one fell swoop will not only leave his head spinning, but his feet mighty tired.

ONS-Dria
    After blasting across the frozen lake in your shiny new Manta, you come across an enemy node swarming with baddies. You're up against two AVRiL whores, a Scorpian, a Goliath, and a loaded Hellbender.

Do you:
    a) Blow through the crowd and hope for the best
    b) Run with your tail between your legs
    c) Make your peace with God
    d) Run around in circles and taunt the punks through the Local channel
    e) Drop out of the Manta and go at it on foot (because we all know foot vs. Goliath always ends well)

It doesn't matter what's going on somewhere else on the map. While the rest of your team is (hopefully) doing everything they can to get the enemy's base node, you have successfully distracted at least seven people. Keeping them on their toes while your team works in the background is a tactic that I make use of in nearly every ONS match.

i agree.

I agree. In many cases, distractions are what have won tied-up ONSs, BRs, and CTFs.

One great way in BR-Serenity of ******* off the enemy is picking up the ball (after they have worked to get it to your half of the field and then died), send a few good cappers out to where the ball respawns, and wait until the enemy returns to your half to retrieve it. After waiting for this, allow them to get as close as possible (takes some good timing) and then simply shoot the ball into the water behind your base. They walked the whole way for nothing, and when the ball is returned, the cappers are all clear of enemies to furthermore score you a goal. To make sure they're chances of scording are good, duel with the enemy on your half of the base and make sure they don't follow your cappers (but do not kill them, else they respawn right where the cappers need to score). This simple method of mulipulation will keep their heads spinning, if done right.

There are several methods of doing this for ONS and AS. But in ONS I'm usually using a manta to get right where I need to, quickly, while everyone else rambles. I can't tell you how many times I have blown a base core in the icefield mission just by taking a trusty manta onto the cliffs overlooking the base, and jumping down onto the second floor (where usually no one is) and driving into the base (still on 2nd floor), and capping the corewhore while everyone continues to duel below me. HAH!

Brilliant dedcuction PerfectCore.

Comment

Re: To frag, or not to frag? An ONS parable

Originally posted by ThePerfectCore

ONS-Dria
      After blasting across the frozen lake in your shiny new Manta, you come across an enemy node swarming with baddies. You're up against two AVRiL whores, a Scorpian, a Goliath, and a loaded Hellbender.

Do you:
      a) Blow through the crowd and hope for the best
      b) Run with your tail between your legs
      c) Make your peace with God
      d) Run around in circles and taunt the punks through the Local channel
      e) Drop out of the Manta and go at it on foot (because we all know foot vs. Goliath always ends well)

It doesn't matter what's going on somewhere else on the map. While the rest of your team is (hopefully) doing everything they can to get the enemy's base node, you have successfully distracted at least seven people. Keeping them on their toes while your team works in the background is a tactic that I make use of in nearly every ONS match.
      I get what you mean - but in this situation you wouldn't keep them tied up for 1 second lol
      The main fact is they have their entire team in 1 place HAHA THE FOOLS. All you would have to do is notify your team not go there and blow up the other node (i'm assuming you mean the node nearest the bridge - with the tank) DRIA RoXx0Rs

nice post TPC :up:

Comment

Indeed

Picking your fights is definitely as important as winning them Sometimes what looks like an incredibly stupid move can actually be helpful if enough people are looking (distracted), but I agree that you have make the distraction last, and if you can, make them want to kill you and then just worry about dodging and leading them to the most unimportant part of the map. Don't get nine guys mad at you only to die five feet from the deemer as you tried to escape. If I have more than three guys on me, I know I am pulling more attention away from the battle then my best fighting could add, so I just try to drag it out.

Comment

If you're really desparate in the middle of nowhere, try blasting yourself with the flak cannon. Usually there's no cliff about to kill yourself .

Comment

ONS-RedPlanet
            The enemy has access to your base node (and vice-versa) by way of the middle node. As you approach in your Hellbender, you notice any enemy teamate grab the damage amp and then start healing his Raptor. At that exact moment, the enemy base node goes down and the middle node is safe... for now.

Do you:

a) Blow up the Raptor and leave the idiot
            b) Blow up the Raptor and then the idiot
            c) Blow up the idiot and leave the Raptor

Trick question, I know. Hopefully you had the sense to attach some grenades to your Hellbender. Roll up behind the node structure and jump in the Raptor before the idiot knows what's going on. Fly low and fast away from there. Now Mr. Idiot is stuck out there with his pants down, his base under attack, and no ride back home... but what's this? A Hellbender? Meh, it'll have to do.

You killed some dumb fool

In this case, fragging someone was bad. If you killed him outright, you'd have sent him back to his base, where a Leviathan is most likely waiting. If you stole his Raptor and then tried to blast him, you're wasting valuable time and man power that your team requires to win the match. Trading your sabatoged Hellbender for his Raptor and then taking off in one fell swoop will not only leave his head spinning, but his feet mighty tired.
            Why not just blast the raptor? Redplanet is the biggest map, he won't be going anywhere soon, and if you give him the sabatoged hellbender, it accomplishes the same thing as just killing him. At least once you kill him.

Comment

Originally posted by tardis
              If you're really desparate in the middle of nowhere, try blasting yourself with the flak cannon. Usually there's no cliff about to kill yourself .
              lol..so im not the only one whos tried thinking of ingenious ways to top myself when stuck in the middle of nowhere...

Comment

Originally posted by The_Goose
                lol..so im not the only one whos tried thinking of ingenious ways to top myself when stuck in the middle of nowhere...
                Console> suicide<enter>

Comment

Originally posted by Early_bath
                  Console> suicide<enter>
                  I'd like to hotkey that one. Does someone know how to do that ?

Comment

Open up User.ini in System Folder

Find the key you want to bind it to such as TAB for example...

have it say

Tab=suicide

Now when you hit tab, it should suicide you...

You can add stuff to it too such as messages...
                    People use to add the message "Tactical Suicide" and such...

Letting people know that it was a purposeful thing to die...

If it hasn't changed since UT, it should be something like this:

Tab=suicide | talk Tactical Suicide!

I think that's the correct keybind... I haven't messed with it in so long... I used to do it more in UT because of the Hammer jumping and such used in AS... I'm sure stuff will be figured out in this one in time too...

The one thing I would like to change is my 180 degree spin key for the Hellbender & Scorpion... I don't like it on the CNTRL key and haven't figured out how to change it yet... I keep hitting my shift instead trying to spin out and miss it and it becomes fatal for the most part... I could be overlooking something... If someone knows, let me know... Thanks...

Comment

ONS-Torlan
                      After taking the corner farthest from the action, you hop in your manta and start heading towards the enemy's base node. As you pass through the valley towards the enemy base, you spot a enemy teamate healing up his badly damaged Manta.

Do you:

a) Blow up the Manta to **** him off and then leave him there
                      b) Blow up the Manta and then squash him
                      c) Squash him and then leave the Manta

Correct Answer: C

ONS-Torlan is a fairly small map. I can get across the map on foot in very little time. Vehicles, however, are integral to a comeback (duh) - and if the enemy team wants a chance at making one, they're going to need every Hellbender, Manta, and Goliath the can get their little grubby paws on. By fragging the dork that didn't get himself far enough away from the battle, you've successfully denied the enemy team a Manta, perhaps their last one.

In this case, fragging someone was good.

ThePerfectCore,

Thanks for demonstrating how to approach this game more tactically. Sometimes it is too easy to get bogged down with 'Frag on sight' attitude.

Word :up:

EZ

B

Comment

Working...
                      X