Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie question regarding ping and my dsl

Hello
    i have a 256k up/256k down dsl connection and typically get pings from 110- 150 on servers. Is that about what I should expect? I've read alot on the forums about making some adjustments regarding netspeed which has helped with online stability but just wanted to know if my ping ranges were appropiate for my connection.

Also at another location I have a 128k up/ 1m down connection. Would that give me lower pings. Any help would be appreciated.

hi - that sounds about right.
    Local servers SHOULD give lower pings but if your signal is being routed across the world first then it won't make much difference.

As for your alternative connection, try it and see what happens

Comment

i have a 1 mbps / 256g kbps line and generally get in game pings of 80-90 at best. When I do a tracert however it shows that the slowest hops generally are within my ISP's network (something like 70ms on the first hop!). keep in mind the following as my feeble understanding... anyone else feel free to correct me.

you might want to check out the tracert for each connection and see where the problems points are.

to do tracert in windows:

click start --> Run...
      Type "command"
      type "tracert xx.xx.xxx.xx" where xx.xx.xxx.xx is IP of server you are trying to connect to.

look at results.. you will see a list of hops representing speed of each connection to the server. you should be able to read the semi-cryptic locations and ascertain where each hop is located. if there is a big hop within your isp's network the server you did this tracert will probably provide your best ping available. if it is outside of your ISP's network you might be able to get a better ping if you just tried a different server. (keep in mind each hop can't be better than the first one - so when comparing, you need to look for differences between hops and not actual numbers).

if you identify a problem within our isp's network, you may be able to call them and have them do something (usually they won't unless there is a huge problem - but ya never know).

Comment

i have 56k about 3k up and 3k down... i have about 300-400 ping and i cant play jack *** lol so i think your not to bad :P

Comment

Thanks everyone for the responses. I kind of thought I was pinging at correct speeds but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. The game plays decent enough with pings in the low 100's.

Stigma,

If your'e one of the 300 plus ping playes that still dominates servers I salute you. Last night a player completly dominated a server I was on with pings in the high 300's. I think I ended up with 8 kills and 30 deaths when my ping climbed above 150. Of course I suck....

It would be nice if some server owners would put a cap on connection speed for the higher ping players.

Comment

Originally posted by dutchfarley

It would be nice if some server owners would put a cap on connection speed for the higher ping players.
            I'd rather ISP's make T1 connection speeds available AND affordable for everyone :P

Comment

I really feel for you guys.... my ping is rarely above 50.... usually 25 to 50 and i have many servers to choose from....
              I almost never have to play a game with a ping over 80 so that rocks!!! I have cable so 5mB download/ 1mb upload.... drool over that boys and girls.... but i am sure there are many better connections out there but this is great for my usage.

Comment

i have wireless cable, and depending on how my computer is sitting i get a huge difference, sometimes i get about 20 kbps, othertimes in a download i was pulling .7 mbps, it was pretty amazing for my computer, i usually get somewhere between 30-60 on the top five servers, but my graphics card sux so much i still get somemajor lag, a new one is in the mail, and if i have enough time for a job, i'll go buy a really nice one

Comment

Originally posted by jqvander
                  I really feel for you guys.... my ping is rarely above 50.... usually 25 to 50 and i have many servers to choose from....
                  I almost never have to play a game with a ping over 80 so that rocks!!! I have cable so 5mB download/ 1mb upload.... drool over that boys and girls.... but i am sure there are many better connections out there but this is great for my usage.
                  yea i am jealous... i used to have cable at my old place and was getting ~350 upload. i was pinging on average 60-70 on most servers in the US (except west coast)... upload is just as important as download when it comes to online gaming...

Comment

With ADSL in the UK, 512/256, I'm getting ~50 ping (certainly <100 on the servers I play on)

I was on 56k just a week or two back, I was getting pings in the (very!) high 100s and low-mid 200s which was still playable (except for the map not showing properly in the first round, the missing turrets etc... )

Comment

Originally posted by dutchfarley
                      Thanks everyone for the responses. I kind of thought I was pinging at correct speeds but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. The game plays decent enough with pings in the low 100's.

Stigma,

If your'e one of the 300 plus ping playes that still dominates servers I salute you. Last night a player completly dominated a server I was on with pings in the high 300's. I think I ended up with 8 kills and 30 deaths when my ping climbed above 150. Of course I suck....

humm for your info 300 ping is bad.... the lower it is the better it is. ping is the time a byte take to go from you compt to the server and back to you... lol when i play im walking 10 sec after im back to some where i was before (kinda like a déjas vu but really annoying) in assult for example id be on a point waiting for the timer to finnsh for a very long time.. instead of waiting 5 sdeconds i have to wait about 15-30..... so i just dont play online its no fun with my connectioon.. ****** me off... and i cant get better no calbe nor dsl on my street.. cheap and no i cant move still can offord a appartment so i have to live with it..... anyway

Comment

Originally posted by milo77
                        With ADSL in the UK, 512/256, I'm getting ~50 ping (certainly <100 on the servers I play on)

I was on 56k just a week or two back, I was getting pings in the (very!) high 100s and low-mid 200s which was still playable (except for the map not showing properly in the first round, the missing turrets etc... )
                        I live in Minnesota which isn't much smaller than all of UK (if at all - i haven't measured it recently ). I have yet to actually find a server that is in Minnesota, closest is maybe Chicago which is about 450 miles away (~725 km) but most are on the order of 1,000 miles away (~1600 km). How do you ping to servers in like Finland?

with Europe (and East/West Coastal USA), the population is packed into a much smaller space which means y'all probably have a lot closer options and a lot more options.

Originally posted by StiGMaT
                        humm for your info 300 ping is bad.... the lower it is the better it is. ping is the time a byte take to go from you compt to the server and back to you...
                        ummm.. i think he knew this and was giving you props for playing with such a high ping in the first place

Comment

Originally posted by {S!N}Sloth
                          I live in Minnesota which isn't much smaller than all of UK (if at all - i haven't measured it recently ). I have yet to actually find a server that is in Minnesota, closest is maybe Chicago which is about 450 miles away (~725 km) but most are on the order of 1,000 miles away (~1600 km). How do you ping to servers in like Finland?

with Europe (and East/West Coastal USA), the population is packed into a much smaller space which means y'all probably have a lot closer options and a lot more options.
                          A very valid argument,:up: I live in the UK (on 512 kbs ADSL) and play regularly on our clan server which is in The Netherlands, which is only a few hundred miles away, I generally ping about 50-60 on it.

However, I can, sometimes, get quite reasonable pings to sites in the States 130-180 ish, still playable.

I'll have to go see if I can find any Finnish servers, could be interesting to try.

Comment

Working...
                          X