Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can you tell when you connect to a server that is allowing cheats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can you tell when you connect to a server that is allowing cheats?

Is there a way to tell if the server I am connected to has allowed cheats? I was connected to a server the other day (with out any mutators enabled) and every shot from other players was a one-shot kill - were not talking about modified shock rifles here- One shot rocket launcher, one shot lightning gun (not a head shot), one shot flak cannon- etc. It was crazy! :weird:

Any one else notice stuff like this?

I have seen games like it but its unlikely to be a cheat more like a mutator.
    When you click on a server just have a look for antiCC in the server details, you want it on.
    But at present I dont believe its working for UT2004.

Comment

If it needed to download anything from the server when you connected before letting you play it might be downloading a mutator that's running on the server. Sometimes these are just logos or textures on a custom-made map, other times it greatly changes the game mechanics like the scenario you desribed.

If you'd rather never play with fan-made adaptions, check the box at the bottom of the server browser. But remember you won't see any servers that are running custom maps or anything that way, just straight up "normal" UT2004 servers

Comment

Re: How can you tell when you connect to a server that is allowing cheats?

Originally posted by masterjn
        Is there a way to tell if the server I am connected to has allowed cheats? I was connected to a server the other day (with out any mutators enabled) and every shot from other players was a one-shot kill - were not talking about modified shock rifles here- One shot rocket launcher, one shot lightning gun (not a head shot), one shot flak cannon- etc. It was crazy! :weird:

Any one else notice stuff like this?
        Yeah it happens quite often on certain servers; i used to think the same after hittin someone again and again for them to kill me with one shot! But the thing is the chances are that they aren't cheating, they probably just have a lot more experience and skills than you. As you develop these skills over time you realise you dont have to run screaming towards the enemy blazing away with anything that you happen to have in your hand. You'll learn that most of the weapons only require one or two shots to kill, if you hit the right spot at the right time.

I had the misfortune once to be in an ONS game and on the opposite team was some guy called Grammaton_Cleric i ithink - in one Torlan round he killed 144 people with an accuracy rate of 98-100% on every weapon. Just about every shot he fired in that round he killed someone. What a bloke.

Comment

Re: Re: How can you tell when you connect to a server that is allowing cheats?

I had the misfortune once to be in an ONS game and on the opposite team was some guy called Grammaton_Cleric i ithink - in one Torlan round he killed 144 people with an accuracy rate of 98-100% on every weapon. Just about every shot he fired in that round he killed someone. What a bloke. [/B][/QUOTE]
          i am thinking he was less than honest,as opposed to being that good.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: How can you tell when you connect to a server that is allowing cheats?

Originally posted by goon-ter
            I had the misfortune once to be in an ONS game and on the opposite team was some guy called Grammaton_Cleric i ithink - in one Torlan round he killed 144 people with an accuracy rate of 98-100% on every weapon. Just about every shot he fired in that round he killed someone. What a bloke.
            i am thinking he was less than honest,as opposed to being that good. [/B][/QUOTE]

Check out his stats on the world stats server - he's ranked no.3

Comment

Flak kills indeed

Yep if you put ALL the flak into someone they die. Some guys just RULEZOR. I do think there are cheaters in some games I have been in, but look for it more in attitude than points. Good players shift the game balance, cheaters get points fast and then leave. If you think someone is cheating just leave. It's about having fun and if you are worrying about cheaters (whether they are or not) you aren't having as much fun as you could. Maybe the server is just a haunt of some random hard@ss. Nobody likes being accused of cheating, but bots don't mind
              I like it when I think "Hey I am winning here." or "Hey I'm losing!"
              I hate it when I just feel used for someone else's sad ego ploy, so I just leave suspicious games now. there are plenty of other servers in the sea, check out [FnG].

Comment

Originally posted by [FF] Elric....
                When you click on a server just have a look for antiCC in the server details, you want it on.
                Thanks - you were right. I want back to the same server and did what you said it is was a mutator. Silly me-- I assumed the worst! Anyway I got used to the mutator and managed to win a few matches with my one hit-mini gun!

Comment

mods online

Originally posted by [FF] Elric....
                  I have seen games loading with mods built in, the actually say MOD on them. when you have to download them to play.
                  Could this be part of my seemingly inept ability to be close to equal in the game, or is it just me (be nice) lol

Comment

If you get into the game labelled MOD(whatever)... it means you installed it earlier (and you would know you did this), downloaded it from the current server(it might take a while), or you already had it in your cache (from another server).
                    I don't think you can get into a game that requires files you don't have, so nobody has an advantage on you because you don't have gun(whatever). This could happen in some other 3dfps's I have played.. Tribes2 for example, sometimes I found I was woefully unequipped because I didn't have the special guns.
                    For example: UT2k4 RPG is a mod where you can level-up by getting points. Once you earn experience points from getting kills, you can increase game stats like damage absorption, rate-of-fire, etc. When I joined my clan's server for the first time I had never heard of this, I never went to any website or chose it at all, my computer automatically downloaded everything I needed from the server and I started earning experience points right away. I didn't learn how to use them until I had reached level 6 however, so I was playing like level 1 for a lot longer than I had to and at a disadvantage because of it.
                    I hope that answers your question: you have all the games goodies if you're in it, on the other hand, you may still have a disadvantage playing against people who know what the specifics of the mod are.

Comment

Working...
                    X