graphics card???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FPS - min acceptable?

I know you should go for all the fps you can get, but what is a reasonable FPS where you'd have half a chance of getting some hits in? I'm hanging on (no $$) with a 900 mhz Athlon box with a TI4200 64mb AGP card. By dumbing down all the eye-candy I can get in the 30-40-50 (depends on map) FPS range. Skills aside, is this adequate?

=Harrzack

Comment

well for all of you wondering my comp is acually a 2.53 ghz pentium 4 with 512 megs of ram, and your right it wont run dual channel, and my sound card aint that great either. I got my gf 5200 256 and well it runs ABSOLUTLY FINE. I dont know what you other guys were thinking. I can run in 1024x768 maxed in quality and still get above 30 fps in onlslaught and 50 in dethmatch maps. I bought this card to savor my craving until i build my dream machine of new egg. So far ive decided on this
      AMD 3400+
      Corsair 1 gb of ram
      Asus K8v mobo
      Thermaltake case
      Creative labs platinum pro
      either the nvidia 6800 or ATI x800 xt
      WD 120 gb 7200 hard drive
      Lite on combo drive
      creative labs 5.1 thx certified speakers
      i hope my parents will buy this cuz it has a 2100 price tag...

Comment

Re: Re: what?

Originally posted by Nacho6
        by him saying he has no AGP slot, just PCI? absolutely. that tells me a whole lot about the rest of his machine.

1) what was mentioned above, that his vid card setup sucks
        2) that his mobo doesn't support any kind of fast RAM. i know for certain he can't run in dual channel mode
        3) that his processor is slow as well, because those mobos from back in the day couldn't support fast processors.

call us lamers and flamers all you want. i call it deductive reasoning, and the smart money says i'm right.
        well mine has all this "OLD" junk,and plays fine.what gives?and how many nano seconds will you lose in the agp/pci debate?who cares! it more than likely is not enuff to mattre,except to people who have learned a few new words.in the real world of using the blasted thing,does it really matter? NO

Comment

Re: FPS - min acceptable?

Originally posted by Harrzack
          I know you should go for all the fps you can get, but what is a reasonable FPS where you'd have half a chance of getting some hits in? I'm hanging on (no $$) with a 900 mhz Athlon box with a TI4200 64mb AGP card. By dumbing down all the eye-candy I can get in the 30-40-50 (depends on map) FPS range. Skills aside, is this adequate?

=Harrzack
          plenty

Comment

Indeed if you stay above 30 most of the time, its about how you play not what you on. Below 30 fps, I'm not going to say some of the total experts won't notice (not just looks, actual play-performance/ability to score change), above that it just doesn't figure in except as an excuse

Sometimes when things seem framey, I realize how close I am getting to my monitor! When I back up (literally ) I notice it's a bit smoother. So maybe just that can help some... at least it's probably good for the eyes anyway. :bulb:

Comment

Re: graphics card???

Originally posted by ikickpigeons
              Hey my comp is gay. Mainly because i was noob enough to buy a crappy dell and i dont have an agp slot so im forced to settle with a pci card. Now the best one i found was the nvidia geforece 5200 256mb pci card. What im really asking is would this card play ut2k4 well?
              look at my compt my specs for ut2004 are maxed i get a good game play a bit of laoding in star of game. so its a stable card the 5200 but its not the best! :P

Comment

Originally posted by TaskForceX
                5200=****
                PCI=CRAPIER
                DELL=Total Disaster
                You are screwed basically...
                JK I have a DELL as well expect I have a 9800Pro...and I have no experience what so ever with your card so I can't promise anything.
                PCI=CRAPIER
                ???? you sleeping???? PCI is the next generation AGP is gona dispare there workin on it and they found they can make much faster cards... (there also making a new type of pci slot).......

Comment

Working...
                X