graphics card???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

graphics card???

Hey my comp is gay. Mainly because i was noob enough to buy a crappy dell and i dont have an agp slot so im forced to settle with a pci card. Now the best one i found was the nvidia geforece 5200 256mb pci card. What im really asking is would this card play ut2k4 well?

Would it play well? Probably not well but OK - alot depends on the Dell specifications. Here's a benchmark for UT2K>3<.

Comment

no my GF4 MX 440 bench mark

Comment

It would work okay if you don't mind turning your details down low. Keep in mind this game is wicked with details but equally enjoyable in low detail mode. How much character detail do you really need in order to spot them and shoot them? Not much.

Comment

Originally posted by Westcam
          no my GF4 MX 440 bench mark
          we're in the same boat.i have the same card.my sony doesnt have an AGP slot.so,i had to get a PCI card.and,that was the only card Staples had in stock.

Comment

5200=****
            PCI=CRAPIER
            DELL=Total Disaster
            You are screwed basically...
            JK I have a DELL as well expect I have a 9800Pro...and I have no experience what so ever with your card so I can't promise anything.

Comment

Re: graphics card???

Originally posted by ikickpigeons
              Hey my comp is gay. Mainly because i was noob enough to buy a crappy dell and i dont have an agp slot so im forced to settle with a pci card. Now the best one i found was the nvidia geforece 5200 256mb pci card. What im really asking is would this card play ut2k4 well?
              i have one in one of my comps,and it is just fine with UT03,i bet you can go with mid range on the details (blob shadows etc).it isnt exactly a POS card,you should do fine.be ware though,the video card lamers and flamers will catch this and go off!have you made sure to update the drivers? i did on an older ATI card i have on my HP and it made a HUGE difference in the + way. go to
              http://www.nvidia.com/page/home
              and update your drivers to the latest versions.no reason to change cards,but if you stumble into 3-4 hundred extra dinero,go with any of the Radeon or Nvidia top end cards.you will then have eye candy galore!!!
              good luck!:up:

Comment

buy a new computer man. that computer sounds like the one i used to have about 3 years ago.

Comment

what?

Originally posted by Nacho6
                  buy a new computer man. that computer sounds like the one i used to have about 3 years ago.
                  so you can actually tell how good his comp is by the mention of his video card?
                  like i said guys,lamer and flamers have answered the call.....................

Comment

well if he doesnt have a AGP slot then im guessing the rest of his machine is out dated, i suggest building your own machine or having somone do it for you. but wait till motherboards come out with PCI Express Slots, the motherboards should have 1 AGP and normal PCI slots and atleast 1 if not 2 PCI Express Slots, im thinking mid summer or fall they should be out.

AGP will be fine for the next year but eventually you want to be ready for the final crossover and not be stuck with only AGP. but i suggest saving your money and building a new machine, by the time you saved enough up the new motherboards should be out.

Comment

Re: what?

Originally posted by goon-ter
                      so you can actually tell how good his comp is by the mention of his video card?
                      by him saying he has no AGP slot, just PCI? absolutely. that tells me a whole lot about the rest of his machine.

1) what was mentioned above, that his vid card setup sucks
                      2) that his mobo doesn't support any kind of fast RAM. i know for certain he can't run in dual channel mode
                      3) that his processor is slow as well, because those mobos from back in the day couldn't support fast processors.

call us lamers and flamers all you want. i call it deductive reasoning, and the smart money says i'm right.

Comment

Build your own comp its cheaper and isn't that hard to do

Comment

Playing isn't the same as Computer engineering

Some people don't want to build computers. I respect that. If you're asking how to get the most out of your machine, here is my suggestion:
                          Go for weak textures! PCI connection of the graphics card will slow how fast the textures get loaded, so reduce the size of them. Go low quality textures. Eliminate things that require synchronization (your pc is a bit unbalanced: lots of vid ram, slow bus) No vertical sync, sorry. No Anti-Aliasing, no anisotropic filtering. Increase the the dynamic mesh LOD if you can (on my system it doesn't give much negative impact) that will help to make up for a lack of aa and such. The cable to your monitor is still full speed so try to get the card to do the work, not cooperate with the ram and processor for teh ultimat gaming experience Hope it helps and use (type into the console, ~) : stat fps to check your frames

Good Luck I don't want to hear any excuses for the mess I want to make out ya! LOL

Comment

start with everything turned as low as it will go then start a game of ons. then gradually turn stuff up till you get the required min frame rate

you should be able to run with meduim textures @ 800x600 at least with your card. it will look ok

Comment

Originally posted by C1CB01
                              Would it play well? Probably not well but OK - alot depends on the Dell specifications. Here's a benchmark for UT2K>3<.
                              That benchmark has 4x anti aliasing which probably wont be good for a low-end card, so use this page instead (from the same article) to see the low end performance.

Comment

Working...
                              X