Beginners To LAN Games (UNOFFICAL HELP) UPDATED 04/04/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginners To LAN Games (UNOFFICAL HELP) UPDATED 04/04/12

French message: Notez que si vous avez des questions sur les LAN poser ici je peux vous répondre.

Hi everyone, I love Helping people out! So i made this quick refrence On LAN Games. and how to set them up, cause when i 1st started i had a hard time.

What is a LAN GAME?: Very simalar to a internet game but played localy (in same house, school, etc)

General Information
    -You need 2 or more computers
    preference for newbies to this to have 2 or more computers on Same OS (Windows/linux) if you have probs after this small tutural with setting up lan between 2 diffrent OS please post ill reply and update the main FAQ
    -You need a LAN Card on each computer (at least)
    -You need some LAN wires (see image)

Note** there are a few diffrent types of LAN wires. This is on of the hard part

You got a crosse wire and you have a Strait wire. me serioslyed i bary see the diffrent between the 2 but if you dont use the good one at the the good time it wont work!

-Use a Crosse Wire: if your linking your comps using the lan cards (so if there is no use of a hub or router)
    -Use a strait wire from your LAN card to a HUB. (note a strait wire only WORKS from a PC to a HUB and cannot be conneted to the Uplike port)

In a hub there is a uplink port!!!! This is where you plug-in your High-speed internet. Note most HUBS only Have 1 uplink port.

If you only have a crosse wire and you want to plug your self into the HUB it is possible but you'll have to give up the internet. a crosse wire can ONLY be plugged into the uplink port of a hub all other ports IT WILL NOT WORK.

Example 1:
    (this will let you use internet)
    You have 3 computers (2 stait wires and 1 crosse wire)
    1 Comp has 2 LAN cards the onther only have 1
    -You link up the comp that has 2 LAN cards to the HUB using a strait wire
    - You then link one of the other comps to the commp with 2 LAN carsd using the crosse wire
    -The last comp links up to the HUB with the last strait wire.

Example 2:
    (this You can not use internet)
    You have 3 computers (2 stait wires and 1 crosse wire)
    -2 comps link to the hub using the strait wires
    -1 comp use the crosse wire and links to the HUB in the UPLINK port.

Setting the rest up

2 Computers LAN setup
    This is the easy one to do. You link them up with a LAN wire

And you must set up one of the comps to be server and the other one to be member.

Once that is done....
    In windows 95/98 it is alot harder than Windows 2000 or XP to set up but its doable.
    In ither case use the wisards in win 2k/xp the connection are already set automaticaly. all you got to be sure is that one is server on the network and the other member, if they are both set to server it wont work.

Internet
    Note if you have internet and you want to share internet on both comps. The computer that has intrenet connected should be your Server. this is fun if ever you both want to play on the web at same time. Some people may ask Like i did "i have a modem on both comps some times its my comp connected and sometimes its the other" answer is simple. You can only have 1 server so only the server can share. If the member is connected to the net the server is NOT connected to the internet.

If there any probs with this, post a message ill answer

3 or more Computers LAN setup

Here there a few types of setups and possiblitys. Depends on what you have and can offord.

In general bases you have 1 LAN card per computer but it is also possible to have more than 1 LAN card. If this is the case make sure the computer that has more than 1 lan card is server in the network. Note that if this computer is offline (shutdown) the other computer(s) connected to it will not be in contact with each other.
    Example:
    Comp1 (Has 2 LAN cards and is linked up with COMP 2 & 3)
    COMP1 is turned off well 2 and 3 are stand alone comps
    COMP1 is turned on all comps are linked togetter
    Not to complicated

The second method would be having a hub or router.

A hub is like a external LAN card that you can plug-up a bunch of comps togetter. A hub can connect between 4 and 48 comps for example mine can link up 5 comps. (you can also link up 2 or more hubs togetter)

Exemple how this works:
    Comp1 is linked to hub, Comp2 is linked to hub and comp3 linked to hub.
    Comp1 is turned off, comp2 and comp3 are still connected togetter

So any comp can be turned off and the others will still be linked.

Note that the possibility of using more than 1 LAN card and a hub is possible.

Example:
    Comp1 has 2 LAN cards and is connected to COMP2 by the LAN Card and is Connected to the HUB that is connected to comp3 & 4

Comp 3 & 4 is connetced to comp 2 only if comp 1 is turned on.

A router is the same as a hub but you can directly connect your internet connection to it. (instead of having it connected to 1 comp and that comp must be on all the time so the others have internet access)

So thats pretty much the basics on connecting them togetter with the wires. The software setup is the same as a 2 computer network, 1 is the server the rest are members. Note that it is possible to only have members on your network (meaning no server comp) but in this case you wont be able to share internet with the other comps. Each comp would have to be connected to the internet to have internet.

Once you followed the wisards you must be carefull with firewalls. Zonelabs can Scan for Local network and make them safe. Northorn Securety also has a easy scan tool. if you dont want to mess around, what i sugest is to turn off the firewall (only turn off a firewall if your disconnected from the internet. do at your OWN RISK)

A fews notes for Your LAN setup (when doing the Wisard)
    -Make sure all comps in same network have the same WORKGROUP (MSHOME - MSWORK - etc.)
    -Name all the comps diffrently to not have any conflics
    -The Firewall in XP disable it (really its not a good firewall and hard to setup)

Now to test if you network works
    Windows 95/98/ME
    -Open up network Naborhood
    -Open up Your workgroup (MSHOME MSWORK - etc)
    if you see the same number of Pc pics as computers in the LAN (inculding yours) your lan works

Windows 2k/xp
    -Open up Exploror
    -Open up Local network
    -Open up Your workgroup (MSHOME MSWORK - etc)
    if you see the same number of Pc pics as computer in the LAN (inculding yours) your lan works

Now for the game: You can start a game from any comp, it does NOT need to be the Server comp. Once its started all other comps should see it in "JOIN GAME" - "LAN GAMES"

I sugest to alway host a dedicated server it drops the chacnes of the LAN crashing. My experance on ut 2003 of a non-dedicated server game, i would be playing with my bro and my ut2003 would bug that means the server also bugs i have to shut down and my bro disconnects.... so if your ut 2003/2004 bugs and you have a dedicated server, youll be the only one that drop off the game but note you need alot of ram at least 512 you youll be playing laggy the one running the server

LAN Downloading (added 04/04/07)
    I've Seen Some people complaining that LAN downloading is sow and i foun a way to fix this.

What is LAN downloading?: When you have a LAN game and the person that is hosting the game is using a unique map (only him that has it) if you want to play you got to Download it.

To solve this, the person hosting the game has to:
    -Copy and paste your Ut 2k4 shortcut anywhere you find it easy to find.
    -Then right click the new shortcut and gotto properties
    -Then you must change the target to: C:\UT2004\System\UT2004.exe -lanplay
    -Then set up Your server and launch
    -Have fun

In game Administration
    I found a few peoples sayin that administrating a server is hard.

2 Easy ways of controling a server

1. This Modulator Admin tool See thread: http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...Admin+Commands
    2. Activate Web Admin (you must set a Admin Name And password to access it) once it is active and your server is launched open up a explorer and type address http://localhost:80/ your login is your admin name and password you set up in the Game Setting before launching

Console commands For admins:

To use console commands, press "~" while in game.
    Then type one of the following commands:

ADMIN SWITCHLEVEL [mapname?game= gametype?mutator= mutator] - (Changes the current level to the specified level, game type, and mutators)
    ADMIN [command] - (Performs the specified commands)
    ADMINLOGIN [password] - (Logs the administrator onto the server using the specified password)
    ADMINLOGOUT
    ADMIN SET UWeb.Webserver bEnabled True - (Enables the remote admin webserver (after level change))
    ADMIN SET UWeb.Webserver bEnabled False
    KICK [playername]
    KICKBAN [playername]

This info Was posted by mdhutson on a diffrent topic
    Note that this i have never tryied myself!!! but there is positive feedback that this does make the download faster. ill will be looking if there is any other way if fixing this to.

Still some spelling to be updated and stuff to be added. this weekend i added soem wire info Due to alot of testing in this matter.

Last UPDATED 04/04/12 9h22 (AM)

My other Help Doc and tips:
    Voice Commands
    Forum HELP
    Cache Manager Help

hey ya sounds good but how do you set up your computer to be a server and the other one to be a member? im useing windows xp on both comps

Comment

k can any one please answere my question

Comment

On the host PC start the game and use the host game menu to pick your options then launch with the listen button. On the client PC start the game then use the join menu and click the LAN tab. The game 'should' show up. Select it and click join.

Problem is that the LAN menu is flakey in 2K4 and often the games just dont show up in there. In that case bring down the console & type open (LAN ip address of host pc) for example open 192.168.0.1:7777

7777 is the standard port used by the game.

Edit unless you're talking about setting up the network itself that is! There is a wizard you can use for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sector9skaterx
          hey ya sounds good but how do you set up your computer to be a server and the other one to be a member? im useing windows xp on both comps

i did alot of testing this weekends with a 3 compt network With siffrent types of wires and setting

SO you using direct cable connetion (not usinbg a hub between)

Go to Start Setting Open Network connetcions

on your top left menu cleck on setup a Home/buissness network

Then read the instrtuctions. youll have i am main computer where other computer connect to me to have the net well you select that even if you dont have the net that make you server on XP

-EDIT--
          FAQ updated added LAN downloading and all about using the correct wireing.

Hope this helps

Comment

*bump**

Comment

I'm planning a 8 person LAN party, everyone hooked up to a HUB. Should I use a dedicated server? Also, does this server only need a good amount of ram (it has a **** video card), and should this amount of ram be higher than 512 for 8 people?

Comment

Originally posted by Valgar
                I'm planning a 8 person LAN party, everyone hooked up to a HUB. Should I use a dedicated server? Also, does this server only need a good amount of ram (it has a **** video card), and should this amount of ram be higher than 512 for 8 people?
                8 peoples is not too bad id say a minimum of 512 to 768 would be required the best would be 1024 tho and yes id go dedicate. there alot less chance its buggs and crashes as a dedicated. Will the Server have a player on it or its just to run the server. If you have a player playing on it you NEED 1024 ram!!! besides that you should be ok

Comment

Originally posted by StiGMaT
                  8 peoples is not too bad id say a minimum of 512 to 768 would be required the best would be 1024 tho and yes id go dedicate. there alot less chance its buggs and crashes as a dedicated. Will the Server have a player on it or its just to run the server. If you have a player playing on it you NEED 1024 ram!!! besides that you should be ok
                  The server will just run the game, no players. It has 512 ram right now, I should be able to boost it to 768 or 1024 though. Thanks for the help!

Comment

hi, i havent bought UT2k4 yet but i have a question before i do...

can i buy 1 version of the game and install it on my LAN and we can all play?
                    or would i get 'CD key in use' or somthing?

also if it does work, does it work online too?
                    (can we all be on LAN but online with others?)
                    cheers

Comment

Originally posted by DarkDevice
                      hi, i havent bought UT2k4 yet but i have a question before i do...

can i buy 1 version of the game and install it on my LAN and we can all play?
                      or would i get 'CD key in use' or somthing?

also if it does work, does it work online too?
                      (can we all be on LAN but online with others?)
                      cheers

on a lan server there is no CD key check you can all have the same cd key and it will work.

If you all have same cd key only 1 personen can play on the net at a time.... if you all have a diffrent cd key well the server can host a decidicated game you all in lan connect via the lan and have it avalible for internet user to access

hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                      X