Weapon Switching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weapon Switching

Hello. i feel like I would improve my game 100% if i could switch between weapons effectivly. What are some of your weapon configurations. any tips?

are you talking about key bindings or weapon priorities?

For key binds - I have a mouse with a button on the side, I use that for my "best weapon", middle mouse button for link gun (i play ONS alot), scroll wheel for scrolling through the weapons.
    On the keyboard:
    R = rocket launcher
    Left shift = Flak
    z = shock rifle

Comment

I didn't think if that I have a mouse with lots of extra buttons on it too. Do you have to do anything for UT to recognize those buttons. I had problems getting Raven Shield to work with the extra buttons in the past.

I have a logitech MX500 if that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by audi2honda
        I didn't think if that I have a mouse with lots of extra buttons on it too. Do you have to do anything for UT to recognize those buttons. I had problems getting Raven Shield to work with the extra buttons in the past.

you'll have to try. My Logitech mouseman extra button was not being recognized...I had to download the MX510 (i think) drivers. Then all was good.

Comment

Originally posted by audi2honda

The MX500 is something a lot of people have trouble with binding. If you're using the Mouseware drivers, make absolutely sure that you're using the most recent ones! (check www.logitech.com for downloads) The ones that come with the mouse itself don't work well with many games, and that includes UT2k4. Some people have also had success using Windows default drivers and the drivers for the Razer Boomslang, but I'd stick with the Mouseware if you can get it to work properly.

Everyone has their own favorites for how to go about selecting weapons. My personal view is that every weapon has a specific point at which it is the best one to use, and I want that weapon in my hand at that precise moment. This means that just about every weapon has it's own key in my setup. It takes a little while to get comfortable with something like this, so if you're going to do it you should expect to be running around on an empty map for a while just to get your fingers to learn where each weapon is. That's not entirely bad, though. You can use the same twenty minutes or so to learn maps and practice your dodging.

Your setup will probably be different from mine, but I'll give mine out for a reference:

Movement: EDSF - this places my hand on the home row in a natural position, allows me to use all the fingers on my left hand, and places a lot of keys in easy reach. Not a bad start. Many prefer WSAD. A few binding whores like RFDG. To each their own.

Jump: Space Bar
          Crouch: Z
          Voice Comm: Shift
          Use: Tab
          Fire: LMB
          Alt Fire: RMB - These strike me as natural. I rarely crouch, and when I do it's not while directly in combat but rather to move along while listening for other players. I can talk while continuing to move as well. Some people don't like having their fire buttons on the mouse, but again it's personal preference.

Weapons:
          AR: Q
          Flak: W
          RL: R
          Goo: T
          Shock: G
          Lightning/Sniper: A
          Translocator: Middle Mouse
          Minigun: Mousewheel Up
          Link: Mousewheel Down
          Shield: Mouse Thumb #1
          Superweapons: Mouse Thumb #2
          Drop Weapon: B

The most commonly used weapons are right where I want them: in easy reach. If I want a "finishing" weapon all I need to do is roll my mousewheel and I'm not going to stumble and find myself firing a redeemer by accident. You may want to set things up so that similar weapons are next to each other or divide them by the range you use them or whatever will help you to remember where they are at first. With a little practice, it'll soon become second nature.

Comment

Thanks a ton, good idea using ESDF...that pretty much opens 3 new keys A,Q,W for binding. I don't like using the number keys or tab, so this might work for me. I'll give it a shot...Thanks!

Comment

Basicly to be able to bind keys on your mouse the easyest thing is just not to install any logitech drivers, and use the standerd windows drivers.

You will be able to bind all keys as you want then.

Comment

I only found this out recently:

After translocating, keep the alt-fire button held down, then press regular fire - this will reselect the weapon you were using before you switched to the translocator.

Comment

my controls are:
                  wsad=move
                  e=shock
                  q=lightning gun
                  r=rocket
                  f=flak
                  c=minigun
                  z=link gun
                  shift=shield
                  tab=translocater
                  capslock=shield combo
                  x=lighting gun combo
                  b=flak combo

Comment

My setup wich is working ok imo:

wasd for movement

q & mousewheeldown = prev weapon
                    e & mousewheelup = next weapon

1 = translocator
                    2 = AS
                    3 = bio
                    4 = SR

r = best weapon (which is RL of FC depending on what I have)
                    tab = drop weapon
                    x = superweapon

Got 3 mousebuttons unused I now notice... :bulb:

Comment

I would suggest to bind all the important weapons to keys close around your movement keys, so you can acces them fast and without any problems.

To give you an idea of mine setup here it goes (its kinda weird ):

You can download my config from here (user.ini and ut2004.ini): http://mjn.beemsterboer.at.quicknet.nl/ut2k4config.zip

Movement
                      ---------------------

LeftMouse= MoveForward
                      RightMouse= MoveBackward
                      Y= StrafeLeft
                      I= StrafeRight
                      U= Jump
                      j= Duck
                      Mouse4= Walking

Weapons
                      --------------------

Space= Fire
                      Ctrl= AltFire
                      5= SwitchWeapon 1 ;// Impacthammer
                      O= SwitchWeapon 2 ;// AssaultRifle
                      P= SwitchWeapon 3 ;// BioRifle
                      9= SwitchWeapon 4 ;// ASMD Rifle
                      7= SwitchWeapon 5 ;// Pulse Rifle
                      8= SwitchWeapon 6 ;// Minigun
                      M= SwitchWeapon 7 ;// FlakCannon
                      K= SwitchWeapon 8 ;// RocketLauncher
                      0= SwitchWeapon 9 ;// SniperRifle
                      H= SwitchWeapon 10 ;// Translocator
                      NumPadPeriod= NextWeapon

Comment

Anybody know if theres a way to change the sequence of the weapons listed on HUD?

I have mouse wheel setup to scroll next and previous weapons but the scroll is based on the HUD sequence, not weapons priority as was in Unreal1.

Comment

Originally posted by BAD_Wee
                          Anybody know if theres a way to change the sequence of the weapons listed on HUD?

I have mouse wheel setup to scroll next and previous weapons but the scroll is based on the HUD sequence, not weapons priority as was in Unreal1.
                          My advice don't switch weapons with the scrollwheel. It is slower and more inaccurate then switching with binds. If you wanna switch fast and accurate switch with binds.

But to awnser your question: I don't know

Comment

Originally posted by BAD_Wee
                            u sure about that? :weird:

Comment

Here is one for lefties like me:

Right hand:
                              Up Arrow = forward
                              Down Arrow = back
                              Right Arrow = right
                              Left Arrow = left

Left hand:
                              MX700 Logitech mouse
                              Left mouse = jump
                              Right mouse = best weapon
                              Wheel = back/forth weapons
                              Center Wheel button = weaponsswitch to shield weapon then to best weapon
                              Left big button = primary fire
                              Left smaller button = alt fire

works for me....

Comment

Working...
                              X